Ustu?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by streetfighter87, Nov 25, 2003.

1. streetfighter87

streetfighter87 New Member

I heard that the USTU is dissolving from a very reliable source, but is this true? Does anyone know what's going to happen if it does? What will happen with the Junior Olympics

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The USTU is in a lot of turmoil right now. There are some hush-hush goings on in the upper echelon management right now that we really don't know yet whats happening. The rumor of them dissolving has been mentioned in more than one forum. I think there is some truth to it. The prob with the junior olympics is that there are an awful lot of people out there who feel that the USTU shouldn't have full control of the J.O. it should be more open to competition. I could affect the 2004 and 2008 olympics if the prob isn't settled within a reasonable period of time.

3. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

From the USTU website

DECERTIFICATION UPDATE

This is an update on the developments regarding the USOC decertification of the United States Taekwondo Union.

On Wednesday, the USTU held a conference call with all members of the USTU Executive Committee to discuss and vote on acceptance of the USOC Remediation Plan. (Please see the USOC REMEDIATION PLAN also on this website.) After almost two hours of discussion, the Executive Committee voted against accepting the USOC Remediation Plan by a vote of 10 Against, 6 For, and 3 Abstained.

As a result, the USOC pledged to expedite the decertification process. The USTU Office was informed that the expedited process will take approximately four weeks, instead of the timeline outlined in the USOC Bylaws that allows for two public hearings prior to a vote by its Executive Committee. That process would have taken several months.

In an article on Thursday, October 30, 2003 in the Colorado Springs Gazette, the USOC said that the conference call on Wednesday was the last chance at achieving an accommodation that would prevent the decertification from taking place.

The USTU has been asked to repay unused grant money to the USOC in the amount of $206,000. Other actions are expected within the next three to four weeks, to include the eviction of the USTU from the Olympic Training Center Complex in Colorado Springs.

The USOC Remediation Plan that was up for a vote by the Executive Committee called for the resignation of the USTU President and Treasurer, and the insertion of a USOC staff member to handle the day-to-day operations of the USTU during the period leading up to the USTU elections in November of 2004.

USTU President Lee issued a press statement that the USOC demands were unreasonable. He also blamed rivals within the USTU for all of this happening.

At risk is the designation as the national governing body for Taekwondo. This will not affect the athletes as they prepare to compete at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games. If decertification does take place, the USOC would handle the selection process up to and including the Olympic Games. Additionally, a new governing body for Taekwondo would likely be named.

There is much more going on, the USTU in my opinion is a thing of the past and other organizations are stepping in to take their place with regards to being the NGB of TKD in the States.