Ussd

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Satori81, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Please please PLEASE don't take all the "Shaolin Temple" crap seriously.

Yes, the heads of USSD went there, got some pictures, and some certificates.

Yes, there are trips there that USSD hosts.

BUT PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that the temples in Communist China are essentially government sponsored tourist shops. The current regime recognized the "KUNG FU" appeal of the temple, and kept them open under strict guidelines.

China is VERY POOR right now, so what would you expect a tourist location to do when some chunky, rich Americans show up, wave money, then ask for services? Think about it! The temple (and, by default, the government) is making a huge profit by simply taking pictures with the USSD heads, signing certificates (which Chinese Martial Arts typically didn't do), and LETTING students come back and "train" (by LETTING, I mean LETTING them PAY).

Also...have you ever heard documented proof of either of the USSD headmasters actually living with and training with the monks for an extended period of time? I'm not talking about frequent "Seminars" or "Business Trips"...but actually spending a few years living in the temple as a monk?

I haven't, so any type of "Training" and "Certification" seems to be farsical at best.

So...the reason Villari doesn't get "certified" by the temple probably stems from his lack of funding to do so.

May you achieve
    Satori

PS: Oi! I sound like a bereaved ex-wife! I should explain that I really have nothing against the style, and that I actually quite enjoy the system. However, I just wish they'd focus more on the actual roots of "KEMPO" and get off the Shaolin Public Appeal.

2. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

Since he teaches shaolin kempo it would be be really good for him to to be tested by the abbot of the temple. We all know he ranked himself to tenth and getting certification for his tenth would probabley end alot of smack talk about him on the net.
    It would show his master instructors his not above getting rank from someone else.

Hey just my opinion
    p.s. hey satori81, did you check out any of thoses villari schools?

3. octopic

octopic New Member

If I had to guess, I would say that this wasn't the reason, but that it was that getting certified by the temple wouldn't mean anything to him. It wouldn't get him anything

Satori, I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with the style. There are a couple of really good masters in CA. Both Master Heroian and Master Bombalier are excellent martial artists. Unfortunately, they're both a few hours away from where you live.

4. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

Hey oct, why doesn't villari call those ussd schools and get them back? A friend of mine said there is a lot unhappy instructors down there, but dont know the real history on USSD dont know if its true or not? Might be something worth looking in to?

5. octopic

octopic New Member

You'd have to ask him why he doesn't do that :)

I'd be amused if Villari started to steal some schools from USSD, howver, my guess is that there would be some significant contractual hurdles to get through with those schools.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Villari's use of the SHAOLIN title had nothing to do with the SHAOLIN temple. It had a lot more to do with David Carradine than Da Mo!

7. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

Maybe, but it would look better on their web site CERTIFIED GRANDMASTER OF THE SHAOLIN TEMPLE.
    Then self promoted master of the shaolin temple.
    villaris goes to the temple every other year why not get certified?

8. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

Well maybe if they stayed in cali, but if they went somwhere else probably not. And mattera only has 8 schools left on the east coast and villari rules the east coast, so it shouldn't affect them if they go there.
    Plus non competes dont hold up in court if you can prove thats your way of making a living.
    Plus my friend said the non compete from ussd are only 10 miles and cali is pretty big so they could go anywhere.

9. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

I also recall Mr. Matera actually buying the USSD name/logo/etc... from Mr. Villari. As such, Mr. Villari couldn't "steal" anything from Matera.

Also, the use of long term contracts ensures that most students will stay with USSD at least until their contract expires.

May you achieve
    Satori

10. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

I think he ment for villari to get the USSD instructors to come over to his organization?

11. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Oh, gotcha.

Well...I haven't been able to find a good Villari studio around me, as the only one is a decent drive and charges USSD-like fees. The school is run by two really young guys, but their website claims to employ several older, higher ranked instructors from a variety of styles. They've got traditional karate, aikido, BJJ, Muay Thai, Kung Fu... seems like a really good program, and worth paying the money for were I close enough.

May you achieve
    Satori

12. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

I saw the web site it said 110 a month ussd charges 175 a month.

13. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Prices for USSD vary greatly, but I haven't recently been quoted anything less than $125/month. Were I closer (and I might be later this year), I'd definately consider training there.

May you achieve
    Satori

14. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

Good luck. I hope you find something.

15. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

16. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

HOLY CRAP! That Del Mar Martial Arts center is 5 minutes from my house! I got so excited I had to run to the bathroom!

I'm inviting you to my wedding, and naming my first kitten after you.

May you achieve
    Satori

17. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Don't know how close these are to you. But their worth checking out.

"Community Self Defense & Fitness"
    Kajukenbo Self-Defense and Wushu Kung Fu
    Palomar Family YMCA
    1050 North Broadway
    Escondido, CA 92026
    YMCA phone (760) 745-7490
    Instructor: Matt Porter
    Instructor phone (858) 335-7164
    Email : mvpkaj@yahoo.com
    Lineage: Professor Alan Abad - Sigung Rodney Alo - Sifu Ronnie Isaguirre - Matthew Porter
    Classes on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 7:00-8:30pm
    Membership to YMCA not required to join.

"ISAGUIRRE'S Martial Arts"
    Kajukenbo Self Defense / Wushu Kung Fu
    250 W. Woodward, Suite F
    Escondido, CA
    (760)735-5151
    Instructor: Sifu Ronnie F. Isaguirre
    EMAIL: Ronnie@kick411.com
    Lineage: Professor Allen Abad - Sigung Rodney Alo - Sifu Ronnie Isaguirre

"Leeward Kajukenbo Karate"
    3403 E. Plaza Blvd. Suite L
    National City, CA. 91950
    TEL: 619-470-9700
    Chief Instructor: Sifu Bernie Angeles
    Under GM Edmund Louis
    Classes: Monday-Friday 5:00-9:00 PM
    Call for private instructions
    www.kajukenbokarate.com

"Lugo's Kajukenbo"
    Leeward Kenpo Karate
    1770 Palm Ave
    San Diego, CA 92154
    Tel. (619) 661 1136
    tjkajukenbo@hotmail.com
    Chief Instructor
    Sifu Guillermo Lugo Jr 5th Degree

18. flyingleopard

flyingleopard New Member

Cool beans hope its a good school.

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

It looks like a nice group and a clean school. but something strieks me as fishy I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe something to do with training at the Shaolin temple... I dunno, I would ahve to go and talk to them but the website puts me off.

20. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Got the spidey senses tingling eh, David? Ironicly I know of this school, my fiance's 15 year old cousin trains there (has recently had to take an extended break because of a surgery not in any way related to martial arts, but that's beside the point) as well as one or two people from my old kempo school. I've observed their classes more than once when I took my future cousin there and would say it's good enough for what it is. On the plus side, they do spar every class which I think is a very good thing. On the down side, I wouldn't consider the quality of technique employed in sparring to be exceptional. The school seems to be geared toward families and those who like to practice the arts to have something interesting to do and keep in shape. From what I've seen they aren't going to turn out any NHB champions from that school, but that's not what they're trying, or claiming to do, so no foul there.

The head instructor seems personable and realistic about what he does, and also from what I've seen teaches just about all the general adult classes, so again, a good thing. Satori, I'd say if you're looking for a kempo school, it's probably about as good as you'll find right now in San Diego, or at least I'm not personally aware of a better one. Since I got my first blackbelt in Kempo back in '96 I'd consider myself in a reasonable position to judge. Be well and good luck.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2005