USSD Remakes Tak Wah Eng's Forms?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Gufbal1981, Apr 13, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Kempofist,
    I train 3 days a week in a school owned by Pat Kelly Sensei. He is considered by myself and others to be the number 2 man in Hanshi Bruce org. Some say another is, but I don't recognize him.

http://www.skski.net/modern.html

I have known Bruce since the late 80's and Pat since 1991. My son has a Black belt in the system and several other systems.

Yes I train.

As I have mentioned in past locations I am also in Construction and have built or remodeled both Bruces school and Pats school, several times.

I thought you knew that a lot of what Danjo is attempting, is just confusion :topic: But as I explained he is correct for I do Kempo (Kosho) and FMA. I did Kajukenbo years ago and still do some of it. I do a form of Tai Chi also. I mentioned that in another thread.

Gary

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Awesome then. So you train, but don't request rank? I know a guy who trains at my Jits school only on sundays during open mat. He's got some crazy technique, but since he never attends formal classes, it's doubtful he'll ever attain his blue belt. He's fine with that, although his situation isn't of choice, but rather he has a hectic work and family schedule, and seemingly can't make it to any regular classes. But he rolls, has fun, and that's what counts.

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I really never have wanted rank. I just go about doing my thing. When you want rank you are like a pony on a halter and lead rope. Walking around in the circle and no life.

I go to the seminars I want to, I go to the locations I want to I go to the dojo on the days I prefer. It is just the way I like it. If it changes I'll have to remodel a room and have my own dojo. I do have a few bags out in the garage and I do some stick work at home or over at my son's, beating on Bob.
    LOL. His sons and daughter do it also.

Just got back from the dojo a moment or two ago. Got on the Computer to see if you read the location I posted as a link. You can read that and get an idea of what we do.

http://www.skski.net/kempo.html

This also I do, Cabalas Escrima and Giron Escrima now. I have changed my work out of late to practice these two more, in the art of FMA.

If you google some of the Escrima, Arnis, Kali sites. I have been to most of the higher up Seminars of the Inosanto Group many times. JKD is akin to the FMA I studied.

Gary

4. KempoFist

Just read that bit on the last link you posted. It seems that Kosho Shorei Ryu is more focused on situational awareness, and reading of opponents body language rather than actually learning how to physically fight, as it even says within that physical martial prowess is the "lowest form" of Kosho Shorei.

If this is so, what degrees in human biology, and psychology are instructors required to attain before they can become instructors?

5. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Missed, it. The idea is yes you work out and prepare yourself and keep in shape and practice your kata but the best thing you can do, to be keeping yourself from being injured, is to be aware of your surroundings and not allow yourself to be hurt.

HMMM maybe that is why I think sparring is not the way?
    Does it matter if you are laid up by a real fight, are a false one? Does that back surgery Dr. really care if it happened in training or on the street?

:Angel:
    Gary

6. KempoFist

Proper training under an intelligible instructor should leave you without such injuries. Competition and fights are where the injuries should occur.

To me if you aren't sparring, you aren't training. But I think we should set up another thread so we can commemorate the 1 billionth time that discussion has come up :)

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

True :topic: and all that. Training is decided by many on how they want to do it. Your grappler trains much different than say a Boxer or a Muay Thai person. Have you ever watched the Internationals in the 60's that is how it started. Not when it did but how Kenpo did it.

It has changed and is quite different in each and every school and trainer.
    Might be why all the hoopala with Floyd and Oscar. And their new trainers.

Your opinions are good and are where you are at. One of the reasons for different styles and systems I am thinking.

Google will let you know how many are out there and how they prefer to do it :google:

Gary

8. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Maybe you are just sparing improperly. My students (and I) spar almost every class and besides bruises, other injuries are exceedingly rare (1 in 5 years). Also, it's not age, as I have trained this way with people of all age groups.

9. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

No it is the school. The mentality of it at one time, was really into sparring and now it is not. I like the way I train. I keep up the skills and strength. Punching the bags and running (double time in place also). Doing the training of the sticks and other training, hitting bags. It works for me.

I understand what you are saying but how many do you have in your class that is 65 years old and still training? If I go to a seminar I do what they ask.
    Other wise it is my routine I do.

10. KempoFist

One of my instructors just turned 60. He can tool anyone in the place. But granted he's kept himself fit and healthy through training every day, where other people have other obligations that keep them from such a luxury. He also was a police officer which really gave him an incentive to stay in shape.

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Ditto, But I train only 3 days a week. I do a form of tai chi which I don't consider training.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym4.htm

You notice sparring is stepped up if you are going to go into a fight. Other wise it is not as important as the other aspects.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  12. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

My Sifu (Al Dacascos) is 64 and he still spars full contact and can whup me in about 5 seconds. Secondly, if you are sparring, your skills simply don't have the same edge. It's one thing to hit a bag, it's another to hit a moving, thinking, resisting person. You don't have to hit hard (especially if injury is a concern); even touch sparring is more beneficial than just doing bag work and running, although those do have their place.

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I think I understand what you are saying. But you have confused it some, but it is noted that you feel it is the way to go.

I have been in so many fights it is not worthy of discussion at this point and time, for you to school me. I just don't spar much now. I don't care how others do it, I don't any more. Simple.

Gary

14. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

If you don't spar in class, you'll run out of gas. Plus, you'll never advance to the next level (which for you would be yellow belt). You have to learn to get past the brutal full on attacks and develop more sophisticated ways of fighting. You don't want to be sparring the same way at 60 that you did at 30 because you'll just be doing an inferior version of what you did 30 years earlier. You need to learn to use technique more and muscle less. But you can't do that in a vacuum or by whacking your sticks on a heavy bag while your grandson actually trains.

15. KempoFist

Well, personally I think that Gary trains much more than I previously thought. Although my beliefs on what constitutes productive training is pretty well known by now, so with that said I'm behind what Danjo said 100%. Start nice and light and easy, and work your way up. You don't have to be full on beating the life out of each other, and something is better than nothing.

But regardless, criticizing Gary for not trying to attain rank I think is a bit of a dead horse by now. He's made his points, everyone else has made their points, is there any chance we'll let it die?

16. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Yes, is there any chance of this happening?? Because really with the number of threads/post about what Gary's ranking is or is not, that horse is nothing but dust by now ;)

17. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

As long as he quits feigning expertise in Kajukenbo or Kenpo in general, I have no problem leaving his lack of rank in those systems alone.

18. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Let me ask you Danjo, where do you get all your information about what I do other than dear old mom? (who by the way is another fabricationof yours) or what I know of kenpo or kempo. I am actually on Kempofists side regarding the uselessness of a lot of the stuff that is done in the name of kenpo, and have another thread going for that whole scene at this time. As long as expertise goes that is for John and Pat and Bruce, Ray and others. Not me. I explained the only thing that I have had expertise shown is in Bookmaking on the stand in a court room when I worked Vice. I am a journeyman Carpenter though. And a Master Mason. :topic:

Belt rank is not for me and that is all there is to it. Kata is not my thing though I do some of it, sparring is not my thing any longer though I do some of it.
    Lets see you told everyone I was not in the Corps and I was, you said something similar about me not being a retired Metro cop out of LAPD. You don't think I trained in Kajukenbo in the 60's I am not someone who could probably kick your butt even today. So who am I?

Other than a 65 year old who has been training for about 48 years, went into the Corps at 17 trained and went into LAPD, got injured had two back surgeries and while in between back surgeries was TAD to SWAT and training inside of Metro div attached to A team, retired, do construction still and still workout 3 days a week at Pat Kelly's location. Train with the grandkids a lot.

Have hundreds of books and DVD's goes to seminars 6 times a year or more.
    I do FMA and Kosho, at present, kenpo is kidiegarden stuff in compared to what I do. Really, I wanted you to go meet Bruce he was 30 minutes away and you did not do it...All weekend seminar no cost to you and you still did not go.

Who are you is a good question. Been bouncing from pillar to post finally landed with John a few years ago and now you are the expert. :topic:
    Plus I read voraciously on many topics. :cool:

Gary :saz:

19. KempoFist

oh here we go.....locked in 3....2....1...

20. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I get everything from you Gary.

No forms and no sparring. Sounds like a heck of a training routine.

Kindly find one post where I said that you were not with the LAPD or with the Marines. You're confusing me with the rest of your detractors. I'd write more on this, but I'm too scared of you kicking my butt.

What constitutes a "workout" with no forms or sparring Gary?

Yep. THat video of you moving around really showed how advanced your techniques were compared to what I do.

Time really seems to expand and contract for you doesn't it? I have not been with John for years and I'm not an expert. I can tell bs when I hear it though.