USSD Remakes Tak Wah Eng's Forms?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Gufbal1981, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I just made a mention, then you mentioned, then I did and so on and so forth.

I don't know what all that you study, now or before, but to do dish's well and with good form is Kung Fu, some mention.
    Thanks for the link. I'll see how it goes over there.

Mean while back at this one, I thought we had it all settled :confused: How do you know you are learning the right thing :rolleyes: Most of this stuff is opinions with a dash of salt and pepper, sort of like cooking.

I have heard it is much like chicken, only different flavored. If you really look at it in that light, it is very clear IMHO...A block is a strike and a strike is a.....oh well, you know what I mean, right?

Gary

3. 14 Kempo

14 Kempo Valued Member

I saw nowhere within any of those videos where USSD claimed they were king fu forms, other than the fact that they were at the Shaolin Temple, and they originated from Master Tak. As far as them being modified, just about every technique within every style is basterdized in one way or another, especially within Kempo. I have been taught the dragon form and I was told it originally came from Master Tak. Now, I was not told the form had been modified, but why should I.

I was formerly with FVSSD and I'm now with USSD, FV combinations are called defensive manuevers, FV punch techniques are called kempos ... so what ... they are different, they have been modified. I have modified some of the techinques taught to me to better fit my body mechanics ... again, so what. There are many, many offshoots within the SKK environment, everyone of them has modified techniques, forms and curriculum ... this is normal.

So Demasco modified the forms and taught them with modifications, why is it this is such a big deal? Pinan#1 was taken from Shotokan Heian Shodan, doesn't look them same, it's been modified ... so what. Pinan#3/Heian Sandan, Pinan#4/Heian Yondan and Pinan#5/Heian Godan ... same thing ... so what. I don't get what the argument is about, this seems to be another thread attempting to bad talk a specific style/art.

Love them or hate them, USSD has it's place in the arts. The forms done on the linked videos may look more like Kempo ... so what ... thier style is Kempo, wonder why it might look that way. Kempo is a basterdized art, it is a mixture of many styles brought together to be an effective fighting style. So why is it such a shock to people when they see modifications to techniques or forms originated by other arts ... doesn't shock me in the least, in fact I expect it.

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I thought it was short for United States South Dakota.

Maybe I know a little bit and maybe I don't. How do you know what I know? I have read about it and I can see why it is a loser at this date and time.
    http://www.ussd.com/ Adds like this are a dead give away IMHO.

At the Chow Memorial they talked about how it was a terrible backbiting organization HMMM sounds familiar LOL...I am not trying to highjack anything it is a simple couple of posts and you go like angry.

Master W. Chun Jr. is taking some of them in under his banner, from locations all over the world.

http://www.nickcerioskenpo.com/Legacy Memorial/Instructors/master_chun_page.htm

So tell me more about it since I know nothing about it.

5. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

United Sucky Suck Do?

6. Gufbal1981

That is for a completely different thread. Once again, not this topic.

7. Gufbal1981

I know I'm learning the right thing because I learned it from the source...

8. Gufbal1981

The fact that they did them at the temple, they are saying they are "USSD's Kung Fu."

Honestly, I am not badtalking the style...I am bad talking the fact that they do not really give credit where credit is due. Your instructor, is a student of my former USSD instructor...they call it "Shaolin" whatever animal you can think of. All the forms are modified. I tried to teach them the way that they are supposed to be done and got chastised saying I was wrong...wait a sec, I'm wrong? I learned them from the source...hmmmm...something's rotten in Denmark there.

9. Gufbal1981

The person doing the Dragon form I have found out is a 6th degree.

10. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

This hasn't been said in a while, and it needs to be said.....

LOL Ke?po.

11. Gufbal1981

LOL...yes...so true.

12. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I think these videos, and the discussion thus far, really illustrates the need for arts (and their instructors) to list the lineage of their forms. In WHKD, every form has it's lineage listed in our curriculum book for 2-3 generations back, and every student is expected to know the lineage of their form. It's true that forms will mutate over time, and this way people can be aware of where those mutations are coming from. Do any other styles list lineage regularly?

13. KempoFist

in order to list lineages they have to know where they came from in the first place.

14. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

That is true, and which temple, and so forth. ;)

15. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

That's why I said ~3 generations back, not thirty. At a given school, the instructor should list who the instructor of the style learned the form from, and who that person learned it from. That gives a sense of its ancestry, and how the form has evolved based on the styles of those people.

16. Nuck Chorris

That would be really nice. In some cases, as in Kajukenbo, a lot of the forms were "created." Even when you think you know, it is difficult to get a straight answer. You can only do your best.

17. Gufbal1981

I don't think they have figured it out yet :D

18. KempoFist

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  19. Nuck Chorris

Now that is genious!

20. BGile

BGile Banned Banned