Using Wing Chun principles with a knife or a baton?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by mewtwo55555, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

we were all young once, we were all ignorant once, and we were all stupid (if personal experience is anything to go by) more than once.

it is through the good graces of others that we learn.

ned, Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

True that, virtually every single thread he makes is asking about how to carry a sword or Batton in public, every time he gets given sensible advice he throws his toys out of the pram and flounces off. Only to reappear again and ask the same type of question.

Only a few months ago he was asking about how to smuggle in a disguised batton to a furry convention he was going too...... When surely a rolled up newspaper and a strong down boy would be all that's needed......

SWC Sifu Ben, ned, Hannibal and 2 others like this.
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think all the "rude" responses are exactly what some people need to hear and what stops MAP developing a macho "bro" attitude compared to other forums. This applies to Americans in particular, who come from a culture that in recent times has seen gun fetishism become a runaway freight train in response to suggestions that the 2nd Amendment is no longer relevant.

4. Dead_pool

May I also add,

Hannibal likes this.
  5. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I was just about to ask for advice about how I could conceal my Chinese trident when travelling on the London Underground.

Thanks to this thread, I’ve decided to rethink the whole concealed carry trident idea.

So I’m going to stick with carrying my World Cup 2018 souvenir keyring for self-defence.

Guitar Nado likes this.
  6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He was seeking validation not advice : his mind was already made up...this was clear from
    His first post to Tom.

The blunter approach is to cut through the delusion , and as he demonstrated in his responses he considered it acceptable discourse standard the “oh you might hurt his feelings” critique doesn’t wash

Don’t recall chiding people for it, so much as balancing it out - if you want purely spiritual there are many, many, MANY better ways to learn it than by smashing someone in the beak - but if you want to use them a a vessel for self discovery they are a tremendous shortcut.

ned and Simon like this.
  7. Dead_pool

The one with its not the winning but how you play the game written on it?

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  8. ned

ned Valued Member

I'd concentrate on making my empty hand stuff effective first before reinventing the wheel. The essence of WC, sticky hands/trapping at close range relies on two handed techniques i.e pak,lap,punch and if you have a knife the dynamic is totally different as you don't need those hand skills to subdue when you're striking with a blade.
    You'd be better off looking at other arts such as Kali that already have an established system and making sure you put your WC up to some proper scrutiny
    in a pressurised context before thinking about trying to enhance it.

( Also what everyone else said about carrying and getting stuck with your own weapon )

Simon, Dead_pool and Hannibal like this.
  9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Actually I would disagree, the off hand can have a significant role to play in weapon retention, in creating openings, and / or in covering for mistakes when using a knife against a skilled opponent who is also armed with a knife.

10. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

My Wing Chun Sifu also learned Kali from both Guro Dan and from Sifu Francis Fong (who was trained by Guro Dan in Kali) and he incorporated it into our Wing Chun because the two arts are much more similar than people would think at first glance. A Sat Sao could easily be changed to a slash with a knife. A Bil Sao to a stab, etc. I'm in the USA and while a 7 inch knife would be legal where I live (Texas), I would not carry one openly. That's asking for trouble.

Wing Chun works with knives.

Pretty In Pink likes this.