Using the MAP Search Feature (Split from TKD forum)

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by rtkd-badger, May 2, 2005.

1. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Why cant people just answer the question??
    If we all used the search button no one would have to post, which means this site would die in the ****, except for the intro forum because Im sure most things have been discussed in the past at some point or another. :confused: If a mod is sick of seeing a similar post then it gets dissed. Im not trying to **** off any moderators or anything but most of these questions are being posed from beginners. You Mods are similar to instructors. I ask you, if you were an instructor would you tell a beginner to ask someone else?? neryo this is not directed at you as I have seen this in many threads. I just wonder why people seem to be told to seach when it can be answered in one post.

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

posters sometimes have to find something on their own. that way they become familiar with all the options this wonderful website has to offer and it makes the use of the site easier. otherwise threads are started even though identical threads can be found on the first page of the TKD forum and that's something that doesn't contribute to the site, right? :)

at the bottom of the page, similar threads can also be found. i try to provide thread links, but sometimes, as i said, posters have to find stuff themselves too.

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Mods aren't really like instructors actually. The role of the moderator on this forum isn't to answer questions, it's to keep the forum running smoothly and to ensure that people treat each other with at least some degree of respect (even if they don't get on well).

In that respect, asking members to use the search function on MAP isn't a malicious attempt to avoid having to answer questions, it's something we do to try and get as many of the similar questions clustered together (in turn making them easier to find, which improves the usability of MAP as an information tool). Essentially we would like all the similar questions kept together because there may otherwise be, say, 6 threads all starting with the same question. Not too bad if you want a variety of answers, but not great if you don't see the absolute gem of an answer that was posted in the first thread concerning your question (not necessarily yours, just in general) because there were 6 hits and you picked the newest.

In any case, MAP won't die through lack of repeated questions, it will contininue to be a discussion forum, and discussion of older topics is still for the most part encouraged.

Cheers!

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  4. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Yes I see your point. But if you were a newbie and you got a post reply from a TOPIC MODERATOR or a GLOBAL MODERATOR saying USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!!!, ok I may be exagerating, but this is how the average person on this site see you guy's. Is this what you want?

5. Aegis

badger: I honestly feel that the advice given by neryo was simply intended to allow access to the threads which would provide in-depth answers without going too far off topic in the current thread...

D'oh, seem to have done that! Please continue with your regular posting. Any further queries about MAP moderators can be directed to me through the PM system, as I'd prefer to deal with such questions in private (not for any sinister reason, just because they don't make great reading for people not involved!)

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

sorry mods. i'm an old businessman and sometimes don't have time to search around like some kids these days. i tried to search but the threads i have opened so far didn't give me a straight answer. any links at least?

7. Aegis

I'm not in TKD, but this thread looks promising (I picked the one with the most replies out of the quick links at the bottom of the page)

8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

perfect!!! hmmm... why didn't i see that thread before... thanks aegis! ok ok ok... sine wave is bopping up & down while doing some patterns... like head banging to a heavy music track...

9. Aegis

No worries, I was here anyway ;)

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

In an effort to enlighten all MAP members (not just those that frequent the TKD forum ;) ... I have split this thread ver to this forum.

Back in the day when forums did not have a Search feature, posters were given this directive via a link http://www.googleityoumoron.com/ ..... luckily that link made me what I am today! :D

Don’t have time to find to find the information you’re looking for?
    Then using the Search feature integrated into MAP is very effective and fast .... having the results brought up by nearly 13,000 MAP members posts do the work for you !

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I have to say I agree with the other MODs on this and with good reason. Some members, particuarly noobs tend to use other members and MODs to do all the leg work for them. I try to help members as much as I can. However when you're asked "which martial art is for me" every single day, it does get old. Sometimes it's just better if members learn to use all the features of MAP properly.

12. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I'm not a mod, but I frequently encourage people to search. There's lots of content here on MAP and the less time I spend reading something that's already been said is more time I can spend reading newer things.

From a mod perspective, you can also see why this is irritating. Mods are supposed to read every post in their forum, regardless of interest. Would you want to read a thread you don't care about that's just a duplicate of three others?

It's easier to use the search function than to post a new thread.

13. angry

angry Valued Member

A point that may have been missed is if people search and find old threads they may be able to add to the value of the thread by posting their own replies on the topic, as they are already interested in the topic to have done a search for it. This brings forgoten threads back into the light for many other new members!

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i'm glad we all see eye to eye on this one. so go ahead SEARCH :D :D :D