Using racing harness for sparring

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by UserName0, Sep 1, 2018.

1. UserName0

UserName0 Valued Member

hey this might sound a bit crazy but has anyone thought of using a HANS device in sparring to prevent concussion?

If you don’t know what a HANS device is then suggest you google it but it’s basically a racing harness that keeps the helmet from moving.

What say you MA planet?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nope. They wouldn't really be necessary.

axelb likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

It looks like it would prevent you from moving your head, increasing the chance of getting hit!

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Pointless because you're not exposed to the same forces in sparring as a 70mph car crash.

Unless you get kicked in the face by Saenchai. Then no protective equipment will help you.

axelb likes this.
  5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I did google it (because I didn't know what it was). The info I saw said it primarily prevents a backward motion of the head. Secondarily, it restricts rotation. That's a nice idea for boxing, but the priorities are backwards. Brain injury in boxing mostly comes from rotation -- a sharp hook to the jaw/cheek spins the head too fast. So, it might work, but it probably needs some redesign.

6. UserName0

UserName0 Valued Member

Yeah it would definitely need a redesign and the restricted head movement might make it safer but pointless because it could promote bad habits. It was just something i’ve been thinking about.