Using martial arts to help with mood disturbances

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Knight_Errant, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Naihanchi really helped today as well as the coffee. In fact, the coffee might have made things worse if it hadn't been for naihanchi to help space it out. So, How many other people use martial arts in this way? I'm interested... Is there anybody else out there who has mental issues and uses martial arts to while away the hours of insomnia and waiting for doctors?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I don't cut myself because I have kata :p Martial arts has saved me from having to do really stupid things a good few times when the anxiety spikes

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i would have probably killed myself a LONG time ago if it wasn't for a combination of martial arts and intellectual stimulation.

4. Knight_Errant

Thanks for your courage to admit it, guys.
    You get some funny looks stretching in a doctor's surgery

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  5. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

I have to say, when I don't do martial arts or any kind of physical activity, I get very lethargic and depressed.
    Martial arts also helped me develop from an introvert, to something of a extrovert.

6. miriamgoldman

miriamgoldman Valued Member

I used to have crippling self-confidence and self-esteem issues, to the point where I almost lost my job. Thanks to karate (and martial arts in general, the other ones I've tried), I'm able to function day-to-day with minimal issues.

7. Knight_Errant

that's pretty cool, miriam. What other martial arts have you tried?

8. miriamgoldman

miriamgoldman Valued Member

BJJ (I was horrible at it, but the teacher and the school were awesome) and jodo (one of my good friends is a nidan in that style, and wanted me to try it out).

Next month, if I can manage it with scheduling, I'll be trying iaido. I really want to do judo. Or Japanese/traditional jiu-jitsu. Alas,time and money play a factor in things...karate is going to stay my main art, so long as I stay in the same city.

9. Dizzyj

Dizzyj Valued Member

I have exactly the same reaction. It becomes a little bit of a spiral; because you're feeling lethargic you don't want to do anything physical, and so it gets worse. Having a regular training schedule is great for making sure you can't fall into a bad habit of missing classes, I find.

10. Knight_Errant

Iado sounds cool
    funnily enough, I get manic rather than depressed when I don't work out...

11. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

Helps tremendously...

I have grown up all my life w/ a metabolic problem..quite unusual ...cant metabolize protein...more specifically phenylalanine...the amino acid sontained in high-protein foods...i have started to develop tremors in left hand and arm...like 9 months ago..coincidentally.i started trianing in isshin ryu karate.. it helps my metabolism incredibley well..ya.. i know you burn calories..but..you think the nutritionist would ahve told em exercise of any sort woudl help? aside from that.. it has drastcally improved my attention span..concentration...memory... things that are greatly affected my PKU this disease that I have...helps me not be as anxious as I used to be w/ dealing w/ sudden unexpected stressful situations...I now have a new lease on life!

12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Nowadays its more just a passion but it was a major outlet with my girlfriends court this year and I hit serious depression a while back. Choking people was literally the only thing that lifted me out of very dark thoughts. Helped partly I think by being the only person I knew who trained so it was this little thing I had just for me.

That said I do get depressed when I take time out now

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

When I was deployed overseas and everything else about my life had changed, I managed to fit in the occasional training session that helped keep me sane. It was a sense of normalcy.

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I wouldn't call it a mental health issue, but I was so furious with my boss by the end of the day yesterday that I could barely even be civil with people, not to mention friendly. After pounding away on the wavemaster I have in my family room for a while (not as good as a heavy bag, but better than nothing), I could play happily with my two kids. I credit the endorphin rush and the cathartic effect of hitting something.

15. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

ColaMike--

Ive had the same experience...when Ima t home..or theres nothing goin on...just the same old evryday chores etc..get very lethargic..karate..."wakes me up" ...i too am quite introverted..relate

16. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Well knight i think i may have some insomnia issues. Actually i am sure i do but i don't seem to need a lot of sleep.Coffee really is one of my favorite drinks and i would imagine caffeine withdrawals may cause mood changes without really being that aware of it.
    As to martial arts i seem to use stretches and breathing for relaxation while up late at night or up all night.Other than the occasional dumbbell or stretch cable.

17. Murdog

Murdog Valued Member

I tell ya, I'm pretty much in that very slump right now. Y'know... the lathargic feeling, anxiety, restlessness. I wish I could just go back to a dojang, but can't afford it right now. Maybe when I finally get out of school.

But, I do feel much better when I sneek in a workout, though. Even if it's only 15-20 minutes. Funny, my warm up sessions used to be longer than that.

Yep! Those were the days!

18. Knight_Errant

It's good to know I'm not alone.

19. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

I hope my foot heals soon. It's insane, the last month or so I've been more irritable for not having karate, but the last week has been really hard, I'm incredibly depressed and everything seems bigger and harder to deal with. A friend tells me karate's cancelled the next two weeks as well. I knew I enjoyed karate, and I knew it helped me deal with things, but I had no idea I'd suffer this much without it :s

20. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

I'm very prone to depression myself, and tend to rage out at stupid stuff because of it.
    Training gives me a way to vent all that dumb stuff in a safe way.
    Competing also gave me some very good examples how getting too worked up will just end up with your own ass getting kicked.

Concentrate and ride that wave out.