Using Breakfalls in the Street

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Punchy, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Well, here's a practical use for breakfalling. When you slip on the ice unexpectedly, you don't get hurt :D

I've had it happen a time or two this winter ;)

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I should tell the Eskimo story... there actually is a way to fall on ice, call it a technique if you want, call it a breakfall technique minus the slapping on the ground... lol

The story goes that this person was new up in Alaska, I can't tell you if this is totally true but I heard it directly from the person himself, not as a story. Anyway, he saw a few of the natives to the area fall down on the ice and just lay flat on the ground. He told me that he laughed on the inside at them and wondered why these people that had lived there many years would be falling down so easily on the ice and just lay like that. They must all be clumsy.

One day he was all dressed up in gear for the snow and everything, and was wearing boots, he comes upon a hill with a fairly gradual downward slope. Upon stepping near the top he started to slip on ice. He decided to stay on his feet, he wasn't going to fall down like those clumsy natives. Only now he kept sliding down that hill and he still kept on his feet. He started to gain some real speed and he stayed on his feet. He said he must have travelled a quarter mile down that hill sliding all the way and by the time he hit bottom he was going really, really fast and he wiped out big time. :eek:

:D

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Great point. It for this reason that I consider breakfalling to be one of the most important self defense tools that a beginning student learns. Folks logic seems to suggest that the average person is more likely to take a tumble than get into a fight. And if you are clumsy like me, you'll really need them. Seriously break falls have prevented me from taking serious damage on a number of occasions.

- Matt

4. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

breakfalls on the street

Hi
    I must admit I did not read the entire thread (only skimmed), so If I am repeating something, I apoligise.

I begin with the obvious acknowledgement that it depends on the situation. If I had the choice, I would always "roll out" rather than breakfall. Its much easier and more "strategic" to "redirect" my energy than to "absorb" it.

Its a good idea to practice a "modified" breakfall when it is required on the street. By this I mean to "tuck" both arms in (across your chest,like an X) and absorb the fall evenly on Thigh, Hip, & Shoulder (as well as the bent knee foot). It may hurt but you will not break anything (unless you fall on something that protrudes).

You also should practice this and realize that your bent foot can be used to push off and lift your force "away" from the surface. You can't "lift" the way you practice it on a back fall, but it can minimize the point of impact.

By the way, The Backfall should be practiced without the slapouts as well. It really becomes a timing issue. Shoulders and feet must lift the back off the ground, while you are tucking your chin to avoid a huge Ouch! on the back of your head..

If you can, in all things ... learn to roll (out) with it.

Pete Ticali

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  5. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Another thing to look at is people besides martial artists who regularly fall on hard surfaces. Volleyball players' ukemi looks a lot different than martial artists'. It works really well on wood or concrete, sometimes from high up in the air. When they hit the ground they can be on their feet almost immediately.

With training like that available it's a crime that the basketball coaches are willing to accept so many arm and wrist injuries from falls, but I digress.

6. joe of the bell

joe of the bell New Member

use your body weight for an advantage. never lock your joints or your going to break something. Always keep your balance. If have a really well balance then you dont really need to breakfall. Use there body weight against them as well if the are going to tackle you fall backwords make your back like a u garb there shirt simply flip. I did that on concret at a heavy metal show (mosh) and yeah it worked fine. Just keep balance. if you know your going to fall either land on your muscle on your arm.