Use of Martial Arts to protect righteousness

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

Hi all!

I'm a martial arts student for about 10 years. Since I've been in the field for a long time, I searched about its history and application in everyday life. However, the use of MAs in streets to fight crime, to protect righteousness has been proven somewhat controversial.

I just want to know why is it as such?

Just consider fictional characters like Batman, Green Arrow and Wild Cat! Some people may dislike them while others may like them for their acts. Even in reality where there had been wannabe or real superheroes who used MAs but they were somewhat criticised.

I JUST WANT TO HAVE THE OPINIONS OF MARTIAL ARTS EXPERTS ONLY! PLEASE

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

HAIL HYDRA!

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

If the question is why is it frowned upon to go around using your l337 sk1llz to issue Judge Dredd style justice...then I wonder what your training has actually consisted of and how old you are?

If your question is why it is ok for batman etc to do it and people applaud them for it...you do know they are fictional, right?

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Is being a vigilante considered righteous?

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bloody hell......

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

This.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We already have something to defend righteousness.

It's called the justice system.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I started down that path many years ago. Determined to use my martial prowess for the protection of society I donned a costume to protect my identity and took my TKD skills to the streets, along with my sense of justice and righteous indignation at evil doers.

I soon turned from this dark path however; partly because it took me into deep moral introspection over the implications of my personal beliefs forming judge, jury and punishment for those I deemed sinful, but mostly because a tubby bald bloke in Lycra tends to evoke gales of laughter not gasps of fear.

Mitch

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You challenged a wrestler, didn't you?

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I look rather like one, like Big Daddy after a particularly long lay off from training and a large fish supper.

Mitch

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Don't worry OP, I'm working on becoming Batman. Just waiting on my bank loan for a few billion dollars.

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

It wasn't the lycra that evoked gales of laughter. It was the mankini Mitch.

13. LemonSloth

Can I become your Catwoman then, Chadderz?

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Only if you don't wear real leather, I'm animal friendly (animal monikers not withstanding).

15. LemonSloth

Yes, I'm in! Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  16. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i like how this thread descended into exactly the kind of chaos i expected when i read the first post.

17. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

We like to be consistent and meet expectations.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

If the OP is interested in non-comic book accounts of martial arts vigilantes and what the moral, legal, and societal implications are, you might start by Googling "guardian angels," "curtis sliwa," and "lisa sliwa."

That should keep you busy for a while.

19. LemonSloth

There was a lad in the UK up in...Swindon? Swinton?

I can't remember for sure, but he went by the name Knight Warrior. He used to patrol the streets trying to break up antisocial behaviour.

If I remember correctly he never did anything too major but was liked overall. Until one day a group of lads spotted him in the street out of costume and gave him a beating. If I remember correctly he pretty much retired after that.

There was a Youtube video a few months back as well of a guy in a costume trying to break up a fight in a street who had pepper spray. The video ended up with the guy in the costume, the person with the camera and a friend of theirs running for their lives as a gang started trying to chase them down and beat them up.

Seems to be a theme with real life vigilantes though, isn't it? Happy to do the work until they develop such notoriety for themselves that it backfires and people end up targeting them?

20. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

The ironic thing is, that the fictional vigilantes they're often mimicking also pretty follows that story line too.