Use of a Speed Bag?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JTiedes, Feb 12, 2005.

1. JTiedes

JTiedes Wielder of the Wiffle.

what exactly does using a speed bag improve? ive always wanted one, but i figured if i dont know what its for, i prolly shouldnt get one :p

2. Are we talking a floor to ceiling one or a platform one?

Platform: Timing, co-ordination and punch speed, aswell as other things in small ways like reactions)

FTC: Timing, co-ordination, punch speed. Evasion (slipping etc) can be worked on, too.

3. MattN

MattN Valued Member

and they're fun when you get good at em.

4. Hell yeah. Can't really advertise that as a skill which can be improved by purchasing one though, can we? :p

:Angel:

5. MattN

MattN Valued Member

Well it sure can't be improved without one. I remember it looked so easy till I actually tried it. I was thinkin "what's the point of that, he isn't even hitting it that hard"...

6. JTiedes

thnx- just the stuff i was looking for :D

7. guy_who_fights

guy_who_fights New Member

As is obvious by the other responses, there's no huge benefit to speedbags that makes everyone jump up and shout, "how can you possibly train without one!?" I don't like them too much, and I have been to a number of boxing clubs that don't even use them.

Double-end bags (the ones that go from the floor to the ceiling), however, can be really good. If your punches don't go out perfectly straight, the ball won't come back right and you'll have to stop it from moving and start over. Good for practicing slipping, but gets pretty boring after a while. Too many people make the mistake of thinking they are supposed to punch the bag every time it bounces back. Like the speedbag, it's more for practicing rhythm than punching.

8. JTiedes

ok, but what is slipping then :p?

9. basically evading :p

EDIT: Pic not very good but the best I could find.

Attached Files: