Use anti-inflammatory meds with care

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Brad Ellin, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Word to the wise. If you already knew this, then feel free to add any hints and suggestions.
    Be careful when using any medications, in this case it was Naproxyn for me. An anti-inflammatory used to treat the swelling in my knee for a torn meniscus. Now, I had been on and off this med for years and never had any problems. Until now. I was on it for 10 days, stopped it 2 weeks ago. Rather than refilling my prescription, I opted for something milder, Advil. The combination of the 2 or maybe just one of them, caused a bleeding ulcer in my esophagus. My stomach had been filling up with blood over the course of a few days and this past Thursday night, reached critical mass. I passed out ( at the top of the staircase, almost took a header ), blood pressure had dropped dangerously low, pulse was over 100, fever, chills, sweating and nausea. Lovely. Had my wife listened to me I would have died that night. Instead she called 911. They got me into the Emergency Room, just in time for me to empty my stomach of all the blood that I had ingested. And they still pumped out more. From conversations with the attending nurse later, I found out I lost about a liter of blood. I was in Intensive Care all of Friday and released home yesterday. I'm still woozy, and a bit light headed, but my color is coming back.
    Reason behind this post? Just remember that no matter what medication or treatment you are on, for what ever reason, listen to your body if something does not feel right or look right or smell right( if I had known that a black tarry stool was a sign that I had blood in my intestines, I would have gone to the doctors that morning). Meds or cures that you have used for years can suddenly make life difficult for you. :Angel: I'd hate to find out any of my fellow MAPers were downed by a couple of aspirin (can cause stomach ulcers).
    Feeling much better now, and not taking anyone's word that something is safe without researching more thoroughly.

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Sound advice Brad,

You OK now though?

3. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Still giving my wife grief, so yes, you could say I am okay.
    Kidding aside, when the body looses that much blood ( or that amont of fluid ) shock sets in. That's a bit harder to recover from. Still have headaches and get woozy if on my feet too long.

4. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Hope you are back to 100% soon Kurohana. Take care.

Cooler

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Damn!

Hope your OK dude!

6. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

NSAIDS are very hard on the stomach. Never, ever, ever take them on an empty stomach. Try to always have something else solid in your stomach when you take an NSAID. A few crackers something along that line.

7. khafra

khafra New Member

Glad you had someone looking out for you, and thanks for the advice. A lesser problem--analgesic/anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofin will prevent the post-exercise increase in protein synthesis. Essentially, if you work out and take 800 mg of Ibuprofin, you don't get bigger.