US declairs Wikileaks to be an enemy of the state.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiwolfie, Sep 27, 2012.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

But of course Assange would be fine if he got extradited

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Indeed. But on a broader note, this sets a very dangerous precedent. Basically any media organisation publishing information the US government doesn't like can now be declared an enemy of the USA. Which places them in the same category as Al Qaeda for example. Which basically means if you're a journalist publishing information that may be in the public interest to be published but considered top secrete by the US administration. The US military now considers you fair game for assassination or military detention etc.

It would seem free speech now only exists in the west so long as you don't annoy the authorities too much.

4. Southpaw535

It is definitely worrying. I sort of get it from the point of view that some of the leaks could endanger soldiers (haven't read most of the leaks if I'm honest) but I'm going to assume that isn't why. I'm also now very concerned about Bradley Manning

5. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I think the US us going a bit over board.

Though I would say in the case of Bradley manning he signed agreements and took oaths saying he would not do what he went and did , my sympathy for him is limited. If he had been a journalist fair one but this wasn't the case.

Though his treatment seems to be not up to par.

6. Southpaw535

If you mean the oaths he took when he enlisted then, to be fair, he took them before he was exposed to what was in the documents he leaked and I think its fair game to abandon oaths and agreements when the situation changes. That said I disagree with a fair amount of what wikileaks tried to put across (a friendly fire video from an apache is the one I remember most) so I don't have complete sympathy for Manning. I'm just concerned for his wellbeing as a fellow human being considering the US' less than stellar history of dealing with prisoners and how this declaration could effect his treatment. That said, his treatment so far from what i could read on wiki is questionable, but better than I expected so maybe I'm being overly judgemental.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The charge against Bradley Manning now is that he helped Al Qaeda by leaking information to Wikileaks. As I understand it, if he's found guilty he could face the death penalty.

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There is supposed to be room for descenting voices and whistle-blowers. Obama stated he would support whistle-blowers and then in the same breath turned around and prosecuted more of them than any other president combined. Including George W. Bush.

This is a very worrying development for free speech in the western world. Where America goes, the rest tend to follow. In the UK protests can already be banned if the government doesn't like them. The trade union PCS wanted to hold a demonstration in George Square in Glasgow to protest against the cuts. They were reportedly declined "permission" by the police. Who were given that power by a Labour government.

Think about that for a minute. To stay on the right side of the law, we need "permission" to protest against things the government are doing that they have no mandate to do.

9. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

The oath taken by US military personel is to "protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, forign and domestic". I once took the same oath myself. If some part of the government is violating the constitution, telling others about it is not violating that oath. To me, not doing anything at all about such violations is breaking that oath. I am a proud American, but things like this make me ashamed to be a US citizen.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

That's unfair, do you really think a guy who has mentally committed to embarking on a military career will stop at something so innocently drafted by a lawyer.

Lets not be distracted by manipulation of law and remember what is right and wrong.

11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

12. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

America has the best advisor's in the world they must know what they are doing, someone once told me you have to see the bigger picture and look outside the box.

( Just in case i am going to be taken literately this is sarcasm)

13. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Do members of the US military sign something like a secrets act?

Raz

14. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

It may seem petty but what was shown in that video wasn't friendly fire, that's when you mistakenly fire on your own or allied armed forces. What was shown in that video was either, very generously, collateral damage (hard to really argue the term is applicable though because that refers to killing civilians as well as a legitimate target) or either murder or manslaughter.

15. Southpaw535

Point taken

16. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah if you had witnessed a massacre and a war crime, would you sit and do nothing. Sometimes the right thing to do is treason.

The Bear.

17. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Well off course under the genres convention you would be bound to report massacres or war Crimes. But these leaks were not about that the stuff that Bradley manning handed over was diplomatic cables and some other communications.

Raz

18. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ... God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion; what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." -- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ What he said.

This is a frightening precedence.