Upper Body Workout only?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pkhamidar2com, Feb 25, 2012.

1. WTF did you do to your knee now? :(

Dave tate uses steroids, right?

OSu!

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Dave tate is a well know example of a powerlifter, just as pavel toustoue (sp) is a well know example of a kettlebell guy.

Mike heldesky competes in a tested fed, had a 810lb deadlift and curls twice a week, happy?

3. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

wow alot of replies.

@frodo those rehab rehab just look alot like quater pistol squats (short ROM) but I though going above 90 degree was bad as there is more stress on knees. but those band things look good so ill give tthose a try

@old_k I may have overtrained it. well that's according to JWT and I can't think of any other reason. my form have all been good. but not sure maybe over training. its weird as my friend goes rowing 6 times a week and squats 3 times a week as well as deadlift yet has no knee injury. frustrating!

about the Dave Tate and pavel. I heard of those people but don't know much about them. I'm on my phone so it'll take some time to actually research but yeah don't worry I'm not going to completely didtch my compound exercises. I am just going to add kettle bell training on top of everything else. but with a Tyre ;) for conditioning and stuff

but unfortunately I don't have a barbell but I'm getting a job soon to pay for more judo lessons and hopefully buy running shoes as well as barbell to squat and deadlift. would you say its safe to squat and deadlift at home? this is quite the distant future question but has been lingering in my mind for a while.

anyways about the curls... don't chin ups work them far better than curls ever will? I thought chin ups were best for biceps even though it works primarily the back.

but I don't mind doing curls while I wait for knee to heal. but what do you mean by "I would be highly surprised if you couldn't do any Lower body work" (not exact quotes as too much effort on phone but that's vaguely what you said)

thanks for all this input though. doubt ill be doing skull crushers as they are harsh on elbows last time I tried :/

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

There is a vast difference between doing heavy weighted quarter squats and light prehab movements. The aim of the prehab is to stabilise and strengthen the joint and surrounding tissue (often through a certain - sometimes restricted - ROM), you're not using a lot of weight so the forces on the knee are considerably less than doing weighted squats.

If your friend has been training for some time, then the tendons and ligaments (as well as the muscles) in his knee are likely to be stronger and better adapted to dealing with the stresses and strains of exercise. This is one of the reasons why easing into training is better than going all out when you first start.

If you learn proper technique and train carefully and sensibly then it's perfectly safe to to squats and deadlifts at home - that's where I train.

5. seiken steve

there may be some stuff you could get away with, its worth experimenting, depending on the degree of the knee issue.

the rant wasnt directed at you buddy, more at the internet in general/world. lol.

dave tate squatted over 900lbs, pavel weighs under 170lbs, thats all my point was.

as far as squatting at home, yeah its doable, if you can learn to clean you can front squat, no doubt you'll be rocking some higher rep sets before long but thats cool.

6. Pkhamidar2com

I don't.think it is that bad. to honest I have not felt any pain today. but just in case its because I have not put stress I'm going to rest it.

basically I.had pain on Friday where while walking I would have pain when my legs would straighten out. this was after walking for a while.

if there is no pain at all during the next few days while walking I'm probs going judo.

basically although it is small I don't want to push it. I'm glad I rested it and am still resting as if I accidentally pushed it bad then I would be off judo for a while.

so although I also agree with me able to do some leg work. I dont wwant to push it as judo is more important than getting a workout done.

and I still feel weird things in leg. BUT I think its because I become very paranoid about my knee due to fear of missing judo so anything I feel on my knee even if it is ccompletely normal will cause me to break cold sweat :p

thanks for the input :) greatly appreciated and a very intriguing rant to read, keep em coming ;)

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

While we're at it, the people who hit tyres with sledgehammers. I despise people who abuse tools. And my tractor tyres are where they should be- on the bloody tractor

8. seiken steve

:) does KE still love me if I tell him I use a hammer designed for hitting tires?

I love finishing upper body days with it, massive pump in lats, tri's, delts and traps.

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh, I suppose I forgive you. If the hammer's actually designed for hitting tyres, that's fine, I suppose...

10. seiken steve

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

gym membership = cheaper than buying a barbell and plates

12. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

But you only need to buy the barbell and plates once and you don't have to worry about heavy squatting to lady gaga's noise.

13. Pkhamidar2com

the gym near me are rubbish. unless you honestly think a gym that has 2 benches usually always hogged by curl warriors for seated curls and only has dumbbells no barbells as well as all machines for I think £30per month... its really not worth it. there is a gym that has barbells but expensive and only for adults

also heavily agreed with Gary's GaGa noises. but headphones sort that out. still sucks!

although I love the atmosphere in a gym compared to at home. I feel more in the zone while compared to at home I'm being called here and there. not easy to get as much motivation :p