Updates on Harry Cook

Discussion in 'Karate' started by LabanB, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That is absolutely 100% NOT the subject or context of your post and has no bearing whatsoever on your ignorant rantings

I have a lot more experience dealing with it than a tabloid spewing board dweller that's for damn sure

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Please note that this thread is for updates on the Harry Cook case. It is not a general discussion thread. Thanks all.

3. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

So, any updates?

4. SamW11

SamW11 Valued Member

Bit slow but this appeared in the Hexham Courant today...
    Link is here... http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news...x-charges-admitted-1.875001?referrerPath=news

It looks like nothing else will happen until 30th September

5. John Paul Marti

John Paul Marti Valued Member

The choice of prosecutor http://www.newcourt-chambers.co.uk/member_profile.php?id=13&member_id=4|Penny Moreland is indicative of the seriousness of the charges HC has admitted to. She is a CPS 'big gun'

With 'many' more charges (quote: 'of a more grievous nature) to come it is now being said that HC will receive an 'extremely' severe sentence both as a punishment (for a lifetime of pedophilia) and to act as a deterrent to others in 'positions of trust of young children'

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's pretty much guaranteed to be a life sentence and I'd be amazed if he was required to serve less than 10 years before being eligible for parole

7. John Paul Marti

John Paul Marti Valued Member

For clarification.

Since 1997 UK judges do not have a lot of discretion in sentencing, particularly when it comes to sexual assault and even less so when it involves children, as this case does.

The classic sentence is for a fixed number of years with eligibility for 'parole' after two thirds of the sentence has been served based on good behavior and prospects for rehabilitation into society.

However, with such serious cases as this more and more the classic system is being replaced with an 'indefinite sentence' with release only 'on license' after a fixed tariff of a certain number of years, certainly no less than 8-10.

Release 'on license' is much more restrictive than parole and is hardly ever given on first application. These is mandatory minimum three years wait between applications for release on license. This wait period increases to five years after three applications.

Bear in mind HC will be a convicted major sex offender registered as such for life and will probably never be released 'on parole' but only 'on license'

Further, given that he has admitted to offenses as far back as 1984 it will be presumed he was a active sex offender up until his arrest. It is extremely unlikely he was inactive during the intervening years between offenses. Sex offenders are rarely dormant for long periods. This fact will definitely weigh heavily when the time comes for sentencing.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

One of my original korean instructors was a straight arrow at the school. But when we'd go away for overnight trips for tournaments and seminars he'd smoke, drink, and flirt with anything in a skirt. It would have been normal behavior for a lot of guys, but not someone I felt should have been held to a higher standard. He was finally caught with a high school girl but she was over 16 and therefore it was considered 'consensual'. He paid off the family and continues on to this day, cept I stopped going to his school after I lost respect for him.

9. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I should imagine Cook will wait until sentence is passed and then commit seppuku.It would be the right thing to do and a honourable way out.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You think he can salvage 'honour' from this?

I worry for some of the people on this board, I really do.

Whilst I thought this was obvious, it clearly needs stating explicitly:

This is NOT feudal Japan.

11. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Back in the day it was a common practice for disgraced Englishmen to take their own life,especially those who were leaders and in prominent positions.

12. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Grow up.

13. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I think both the idea of Japanese "seppuku" or of an Englishman being given a loaded Webley .455 and then 'doing the right thing' is based on the idea that the person in question is:
    1) Honourable.
    or
    2) Feels remorse for his actions.

Somehow, from what little I know of the psychology of paedophiles, I doubt that either of those criteria apply.

14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

What would be honorable is him admitting himself guilty (if he is, which I believe him to be) and taking whatever punishment he deserves as ruled out by the court.

Suicide is not honorable nor is it justice. Its selfish and solves nothing. Humility is honorable, submitting yourself to those you have done wrong towards and surrendering your pride is justice. From there, the opportunity for change opens its doors. When someone commits suicide, they are essentially slamming those doors shut and taking their distorted pride with them, nothing changes and they remain as the same person who committed the crime in the first place, even in death.

Think about it. :thinking:

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[​IMG]

16. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I think it is Harry Cook who needs to grow up.Of course he won't commit seppku as he was a man acting out a feudal age fantasy and when faced with the harsh reality of what the code of Bushido really requires he will recoil from it.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What the frack have you been smoking?

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Obviously something pretty potent.

19. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I don't know what to say...

I am utterly dumbfounded by the stupidity found here on a very serious topic.

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Indeed one should choose death BEFORE dishonour. It's a little late after a conviction. We paid for his trial so his ass belongs to us now. I am sure the immates of Her Majesty's Prisons will provide a warm welcome for him and make his stay a most memorable experience.

The Bear.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.