Unofficial Japan Travel advisory

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Ace of Clubs, Mar 31, 2010.

1. OrangutanAttack

OrangutanAttack Keeping BBT&BJJ seperate

Lol, no...

But when the customs guy asks me to open my carry-on and see it they invariably ask.

2. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

In your carry-on? Ah, excellent idea. That way if there's a terrorist on the plane you're ready to swiftly change in the restroom and spring into totally sweet ninja action!!

:)

3. OrangutanAttack

OrangutanAttack Keeping BBT&BJJ seperate

Hah! Never thought about it that way...

I am beyond paranoid about the airlines losing my luggage so when I head over there I always wedge two days worth of clothes/stuff into a dufflebag.

Last thing I want to do is have to rush to a store and buy a new gi when I land.

4. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Just went through today. They didn`t even bother asking me to put my luggage up on the table. Usually they make me lift it up there and then don`t bother opening it.

The only question I was asked was if there was an iaito in my sword bag. I just told him that is was only a bokken and a shinai. No problem.

In fact the only question I ever get entering or leaving is whether I`m carrying a metal sword or not. I imagine because of the regulations on shinken.

Some people make it out to be all James Bond, but seriously bringing the stuff we do in and out of Japan is not illegal, nor is training in an obscure martial art.

These guys don`t care at all. I`m sure 99.99% of their effort is focused on shaking down people who fit a profile for illegal drugs and the other .01% is based on cultural artifacts.

Sure it can be a potentially unnecessarily lengthy and embarrassing conversation if you immediately spring into Ichimonji no Kamae while holding your passport between your teeth and yelling "Ninja!" at the top of your lungs; so, yes, it can be expedient to just say "Kendo" or "Jujutsu".

But really it`s not about deception, it`s just that the actual thing you need to communicate to the agent is something like "I`m here to train in martial arts and I have a bokken for that reason." The word "Kendo" sums that up in a succinct, efficient way where "Bujinkan" probably requires a longer explanation in a language most of us are not fluent in.

So, in short (!?) no big deal.

However, I need to kill another 2 hours before I can check in to the Annex, so I reserve the right to write lengthy, overwrought, pedantic responses to anything else I can today while I whittle away the time at Gera Gera.

(Also, nice to see Dale on here. Always spot on!)

5. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Probably worth mentioning, in japan it is considered rude to force entry into someones home, have your way with their wife and drink their saké.

Strange eh? But when in Rome and all that

6. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Crap...if only you had posted this 4 hours ago....

Oh, well. There`ll probably be another notice up on Ohashi`s site soon....

Sorry for ruining it for everyone. This is why I can`t have nice things....

7. newblack

newblack エピクフェイル

You can understand that in a lot of countries, but seriously, in Japan more sake is only a 7-11 away...

8. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I have a proposal for the moderators.

How about splitting this thread into three:

- One thread for Boojies to passive-aggressively moan about the behavior of some of their own in Japan (for another example of a thread whose main intention was not to discuss Ninjutsu but rather to do similar passive-aggressive moaning, examine this thread here), and specifically labeled as a thread meant for such.

- One thread, perhaps moved to the Japan Culture forum, listing hard verified specifics on the importation and exportation of swords and/or other martial arts weapons to and from Japan. (If enough genuine high-quality material and sufficiently little anecdotal stuff are in it, perhaps it can get stickied?)

- One thread, moved to the Japan Culture forum, about the culture of drinking in Japan.

- The rest of this thread (e.g. all social, satirical, and humor actions) can be merged into the General Ninja Chit Chat thread.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  9. El Guapo-san

El Guapo-san Valued Member

I kind of like the thread.

My suggestion would be also to NOT wear your Booj/martial arts-related gear while touring. I saw a bunch of people shucking and jiving in Kamakura all wearing somewhat fancifully-decorated t-shirts and sweatshirts identifying them by school, country and city.

So, be a real ninjer, be invisible.

10. Jumanji

Jumanji Valued Member

Just try not to be too much of a tourist?

11. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

Although I, also, prefer not to wear Bujinkan themed gear outside of training. (Or, if I do, it's usually on purpose and discreet enough that people won't take notice but another Bujinkan student might trot up and say, 'hi'.)

But, really, I don't see anything offensive about it. The only problem is when those people are behaving badly and then identifying as part of a group I am also part of. But, then, the problem's not the identification, it's the behavior.

Also, what's so bad about being a tourist? Most cultures and people enjoy the fact that others are interested enough in them to come and experience what they have to offer (as well as stimulate their economy).

Sure you shouldn't talk loud and slow in English as if that will make you comprehensible - but that has nothing to do with being a tourist, it just means that you're an idiot.

Imagine the flip-side of both comments. What if people wearing Bujinkan gear had a reputation for being interested, respectful, thoughtful tourists?

I think that'd be great.

12. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

It does I'll take a look.

UPDATE: Having checked the thread there is not enough information to warrant the split.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  13. The Unholy

The Unholy Banned Banned

It just struck me that some good advice for Bujinkan members traveling to Japan might be the following.

It is a custom to bring gifts to show appreciation to the teachers. The Japanese have that custom.

For the most part, these gifts that Japanese give are edible or otherwise something that will not clutter a house for too long.

Seriously, do you know how many t-shirts some of the Japanese shihan have? They appreciate the thought, but some of them do have more than they can wear more than a few times a year.

Booze is also a popular gift for non-Japanese to bring to the country. For most Japanese, they do not know enough non-Japanese for it to be an issue. But you might want to make some delicate inquiries to see if the guy you are bringing booze in even drinks all that much.

If the teacher has kids, cookies are a good idea most of the time. Things like that will show appreciation without forcing them to run out of space.