Unknown Kata & Technique

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Ozid, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

Well, unknown for me :confused:

Today in class we did a Kata, and I though it would be one of the program's grading Katas(from the uejj(Spanish Union of Jiujitsu)), it wasn't. And I've been searching for it and found nothing.

I know the quickest way is to ask my sensei, but I do not have class till next week, and I wanted to practice. I'll write up the moves I remember in case someone can identify it!

About the technique I don't know its name is the first one. Both hands describe an open circle and then they hit forward with the palm.

So, it starts this way:
    1.Migi Neko Ashi Dachi, flexed elbows and both palms look at each other.
    2.You describe a defensive circle with both hands and strike with the plams.
    3.Next is Zenkutsu Dachi and Aito Uchi to the head.
    4.Next stop high kick with both palms together(one over the other), legs together aswel and knees a little bit flexed.
    5.Down to Shiko Dachi...(missing info here)
    6.Neko Ashi Dachi again defending with shuto uke.
    7. ...

At that point it you should got a clue :)

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Sounds more like a karate style kata than a jujutsu one...

3. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

Yeah, I have been looking up karate katas as well, but as i'm doing jujitsu and 4º Kyu's kata is karate alike too I though this would be the correct place to ask.

Maybe I should have asked in Karate's...?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You may well find it is something specific to your organisation. If you are studying a modern hybrid system then the elements of it could be pulled together from a number of sources.

It doesn't sound like kata found in traditional Jujutsu, IMO.

5. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Okay.... to repeat myself from your thread on traditional Jujutsu books:

In other words, you're describing a karate kata... which isn't really even Japanese in methodology. It's Okinawan, based on Chinese training methods.

To demonstrate, this is what Japanese kata look like (Hontai Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu... this is traditional Jujutsu as discussed in your other thread):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFIQrq_V7Y"]Hontai Yoshin Oku no kata - YouTube[/ame]

Note that there are actually 10 kata shown in this clip, each are named before being shown.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUidh0T2Rw"]Shotokan Karate, Kata Heian Nidan - Kanazawa Hirokazu - YouTube[/ame]

Karate Kata - Heian Nidan, performed by Kanazawa Sensei.

All of the stances and actions you described are not Jujutsu, they're karate. The structure of the kata you described isn't Jujutsu, it's karate. The terminology used isn't used in Jujutsu, it's used in karate. This might explain why you can't find which "jujutsu" kata it is.

6. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

Ok... Got it all mixed up again. Sorry...:ban: