United Shaolin Kempo Karate--any good?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Morik, May 21, 2011.

1. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hi guys,

I'm new to MA, and am looking at schools nearby.

The closest one is the United Shaolin Kempo Karate in Waltham. Reading around, I keep seeing people saying things indicating that Villari's and all descendents of that style are generally held in low regard... I've done a lot of searching, and can't find explanations of why. Just that people think they are held in low regard.

Is this mostly just the USSD, which I have found lots of info on why they are not well regarded.

Or is it really Villari & all descendents?

I do plan to take the free week of lessons to check it out. They also teach Jiu Jistu, with 2 classes a week, in addition to the 3 classes a week in SKK, but my work schedule is such that I wouldn't always be able to make it to the Jiu Jitsu classes.

There are two other schools nearby, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. One teaches Tae Kwon Do, the other Chun Kuk Do.

2. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Chun kuk do?????

at first i though, OMG wing chun kuk soola nd taekwondo together!!
    but a quick google search reveals its an art founded by chuck Norris!!!

why are we messing around with muay thai and bjj and not doing this already =P

seriously though. i don't know much about the USKK, the more experienced ppl here will help you out on that. as for the other arts in the area, try them out, its the only way to be certain if they suit you or not.

3. Quincyma80

Quincyma80 Valued Member

Some thoughts

USSD (a.k.a. United Studios of Self-Defense - GM Charles Mattera et. al) is almost exclusively has a Western United States footprint.

This United Shaolin Kempo Karate in Waltham seems to have Villari style bloodlines - based if nothing else on they are sponsoring a seminar by "Grandmaster Carozzi" a former Villari student.

Their website has what can be called a dearth of information about their style or techniques philosophy - although I will note that "Our No Contract-Pay as You Go Pricing Policy" caught my eye. I wish more martial arts schools in the USA had that business model!

As with checking out any new school why not just go for the trial workouts - observe, take note of things... such as teacher interactions with students, their training methods/drills, students dealing with each other - the physical facilities - hours of instructions vs tuition costs.

Are there any additional costs with training???
    BTW School Mandated Equipment Purchases, Required Seminar(s) Attendance and Rank Exam Fees are top on that listing!

But eventually you will need to have to have discussions regarding their signature Kempo techniques and lineage to ascertain where this school exists in the Ke?po Universe.

Why? Okay don't ask - but I would recommend with any LONG TERM M.A. STUDY you need to understand where the journey may lead in a few years outside the local school's walls...
    :hat:

4. Morik

I already have the answers to some of those questions, as I've been doing a lot of reading online:

- This school is affiliated with Cal Carozzi, who as you point out is indeed from the Villari line. He broke from Villari to make his own school--"United Shaolin Kempo Karate", where he teaches "San Chai Na Kempo", which is a style of SKK he created. (Based on urbin.com's tree here: http://www.urbin.net/EWW/MA/KEMPO/fv-ft.html, and several posts I've read, as well as a blog from a former student of Cal's who split off, indicating that Cal's SKK is called San Chai Na Kempo)

- The fees are $85/month if you pay month to month, less if you sign a 6 month or 12 month contract. (12 month gets you <$75 per month). This allows you to attend up to 3 kempo classes and 2 jiu jitsu classes per week.

- As for additional fees, I need to ask about that. Paul was out of town when I dropped by to check the place out, but the guy he had manning the office indicated that they encourage purchase of equipment through the school to help support it, but my impression was that this is not mandatory.

- I do plan to do the free week of classes

I guess my main question is, does the Villari line of SKK have a bad rep, and if so, why? It seems so from reading around. I'm just curious why this is the case, as all I've been able to find are people saying they have a bad rep, or saying that kempo in general in the northeast has a bad rep.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  5. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Genuinely curious here.... but how the hell do you end up with a martial arts school named after buddhist monks in china.... and a martial art that originated in okinawa, with kenpo added in for good measure?

6. Morik

Well as I'm very new to all this (as of a few days ago, have just been doing a lot of reading), the best I can say is to read here:
    http://www.urbin.net/EWW/MA/KF/3D.html#Styles

Villari's Shaolin Kempo Karate is one of the styles of Kempo. I'm not sure what is different between Villari's SKK and Cal's San Chai Na Kempo (which according to all the school websites I can find, he still considers to be shaolin kempo karate)

7. Master Betty

"SHAOLIN KEMPO KARATE - The Shaolin Kempo Karate system was founded by Fred Villari, a student of Kajukenbo as well as other martial arts. Fred Villari's system tends more towards the Kung-Fu element and utilizes the techniques of the 5 animal Chuan Fa to a large extent. Added to the Kempo system was White Tiger Chin Na techniques, as well as various Aikijujitsu projections and immobilizations. Shaolin Kempo Karate is taught across the United States and Canada. Grandmaster Villari's organization is Villari's Martial Arts Centers. There have been several splinter organizations."

Sounds like LARP bullcrap.

8. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDkWX9Y_MOI"]YouTube - ‪Fred Villari in Action‬&rlm;[/ame]

it's gash.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Yp9d2Ntyc&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Black Belt Sparring from Villari's Martial Arts‬&rlm;[/ame]

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  9. Master Betty

10. Killa_Gorillas

I'd rather crap white hot razors & urinate ball bearings for a month :hat:

11. Master Betty

I'd rather gargle Big Foot's balls.

12. Killa_Gorillas

I'd rather kiss this with tounges after an hour of fecal vomiting

[​IMG]

13. Master Betty

I'd rather eat my own deep fried nipples

14. Killa_Gorillas

You Scots will batter and eat anything wont ya? :hat:

15. Master Betty

not a good steak we wont

16. Morik

Ok, so Villari looks ridiculous. However, this isn't a Villari school, its just teaching Villari's Kempo style (or some similar style)... I guess I'll need to try the classes out and see whats up.

17. Master Betty

I'm not sure that a school that teaches a martial art made up my a moron is necessarily not supposed to be tarred with the same brush simply because it's not the moron himself teaching it. It's some other moron who believes the first moron.

18. Killa_Gorillas

His system is equally ridiculous. Did you see the sparring?

here's another video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twREHufskeI&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪FYI: Villari's Self Defense‬&rlm;[/ame]

Total crappling.

X-treme weapons patterns.

Flowery impractical applications.

Delusional psuedo warrior pontificating.

By all means check the school out but just don't get your hopes up.

19. Killa_Gorillas

By the way does the school have a website?

20. Master Betty

uh-oh...