Uniforms

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by SsangKall, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've seen uniforms at tournaments that were black, white, mixed, hapkido (at TKD comps) gold, blue, red, yellow, and orange......wear whatever the heck you want, shouldn't make any difference I'd think.

2. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

dont recall seeing anything in the master harmon book on the kogoryeo warriors, but master kimm he-young uses seonbi in his. the modern interpretation of seonbi simply means 'high class individual' or scholar.

i remember in my last trip to korea master jin(santa cruz) had a student test for fifth degree in jejudo. they use full color uniforms instead of trims sometimes.

3. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

4. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

As someone once said about the martial arts, they are "...to be looked at without fancy suits and matching ties, and it will remain a secret when we anxiously look for sophistication and 'deadly' techniques."

5. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

I give my students the option of wearing sleeveless uniforms in the Summer!

6. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

1) black vs. stone wash grey uniforms

2) belts vs. sashes vs. extra wide (2-3") belts

opinions on what everybody prefers? embroidery?

7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

1) Do you mean that 100% cotton feels so much better, but fades after just a few washings? Even a 30% polyester blend will help retain the dark jet black appearance of the uniform without compromising comfort and breathability.

2) I have to admit, I've grown rather accustomed to my extra-wide belt. A sash still makes me think of kungfu.

I really liked the embroidered BB uniforms that were popular when Ken Duncan was a 3rd dan, but that stuff is tremendously costly now as opposed to then. Still, all the different animal icons were really cool, and could be used as a way to designate rank. Or were you referring to embroidered belts?

8. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

like the hyeongbae patches worn on officials and officer's robes in joseon times???
    tiger = general, 2 tigers = high officer, crane = something civil, two cranes = something higher in civil ranking, dragon with 4 claws = really high up, dragon with 5 claws = king??? good idea, sir!

and as for the uniforms, i was talking about the stone wash uniforms that tigerclaw (pelligrini/ed parker edition) and moosoolsausa (grey hkd/khf) offer. from what i have felt, they are softer to the touch than my 100% cotton black medium weight uniform.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  9. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Those tops are called T-Shirts aren't they KP? ;)

10. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Man, I can't get anything past you huh?

No, we do t-shirts with no belts in the dead of Summer...but in the warmer months leading up to and after, we also have sleeveless uniforms like the Cobra Kai.

Not that San Diego gets all that hot here...it's usually mild.

11. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

MooSool Uni's are very nice. It just costs a lot for shipping, unless you put them on the slow boat.

I was thinking about implementng embroidered animal uniforms for students who carry a heavy spirit of a specific animal. For Instince, my wife moves and carries a heavy tiger spirit...plus her tiger movements are very nice!

I have another student who moves like snake...

I just don't know what to do about the students who carry a heavy poodle spirit! (JK) :)

12. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

13. unknown-KJN

Jumping back to the mention of the "wang-sa" dobok, has anyone happened to notice the current video embedded on the home page of the kido-hae website? Let me save you the trouble by simply inserting it below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K12nksJq2Jk"]HMJ-HKD World Championships 2010[/ame]

Note the group performing about ten seconds shy of the end. ALL OF THEM look to be wearing gold doboks trimmed in purple/maroon. ;)

BTW, the group isn't shown for very long, so I've added a screenshot to help view their uniforms.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  14. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

well the purple was interchangeable with gold during joseon times, and could kings and true bone/jin geol officers that vould wear gold robes during ceremonies often walked around in purple... but the way master yang put it to us is that the red the generals got to wear was actually more of a maroonish colour...so it makes sense.

korea is a funny place. at master kim's school in jejudo he taught the old joint locking demo routine to a couple of kids and showed it to us and we were all like, "these are kids, not masters!" but DO they understand lockflow better if they were shown this set early?

15. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

In that snapshot, it looks like they are wearing DPM Camo — very smart too!

16. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

Earlier on, the video shows you are correct
    I think its South Korean 4-colour desert camouflage, made to look orange because of the sodium vapour lighting
    Likewise the "purple" trim is quite possibly brown affected by the orange lights
    See http://www.kamouflage.net/camouflage/00268.php

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  17. unknown-KJN

DAMN!! :bang:

I need to get a higher resolution screen for my computer.

18. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

just realised this portrait shot from the video shows the same uniform, but without the extreme colour problem

Note it would be logical for a South Korean forces team to use that particular camouflage pattern as it appears to be the ONLY current camo design which originates within the ROK, All their other uniforms use imported patterns (or variant of). Its also the pattern used by their forces overseas in Afghanistan and Iraq

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  19. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Speaking of uniform...does any one have direct address in Korea/anywhere that would make Kuk Sool uniforms?..or where i could purchase a few quality made dobok?

Thanks in advanced,
    RL

20. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

http://www.moosoolsausa.com/index.html