Uniform snobs?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Knight_Errant, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

One of the things that ****ed me off about karate was the uniform. It's expensive, it's pretentious and it looks like a set of pyjamas. Nowadays I train in street clothes (more or less- tracksuit and t-shirt and yes, I insist on wearing gloves and shoes for bag work), and I wanted to say so publicly.

2. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I train in my Hakama and Keikogi or just some gym shorts. I like the hakama because it just feels like you are flowing while hitting people with a Shinai. :D

3. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

Osu,

Uniform Snobs?

Gi's and other "uniform" for the arts is not expensive apart from a certain art that requires a certain amount of shell protection -see JediMasterChris.

A typical light-weight karate Gi will cost you no more £12 and less if you buy at wholesale. Heavy weight Gi will cost on average £30. But given that most students will have a minimum of 2 the the cost is very little over time.

The Gi is never pretentious, it has no mind, no feeling, nothing. Hence one of the many reasons why a Gi is white.

Training in every day clothes has its benefits especially when partaking in life-like situations. However, at the end of the day wither its a Gi, tracksuit, shorts or day to day wear. Its still a uniform and should be treated as so, as well as with the respect it is due.

But everyone has an opinion, thats yours, as long as you feel comfortable and free and the job gets done. For many of us the Gi and the way it is worn and used is a part of what we do and is a part of our self as it shows others what we as individuals are like inside ourselves....

Osu.
    Paul Paterson.

4. Knight_Errant

OK, I can accept that some people might want to wear uniforms. But not me.

5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I like wearing Uniforms actually. My Kendo Uniform cost 110$ in America and the armor is 450$Still think a Karate Gi is expensive? :D

6. Knight_Errant

for a cheap piece of cotton whose main aim in life is to be sweated on, yes I do.

7. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I am sure you have shirts more expensive than that.

8. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

So it is cheap and expensive?

9. Adam

Adam New Member

Errant, if you don't have anything constructive to say about a sport, in this case karate, then fine, be that way. But please don't tell people that what they're doing is wrong if they like it and it works for them. Don't post just to bash.

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hey, everyones got a right to express an opinion.
    I don't think Errant is bashing, just telling us about a choice he made and why.
    Sometimes that opinion clashes with our own, and that's what we try to discuss. As irrationally as possible usually. :D

Obviously he's not training in heavy duty Karate, as otherwise his T'shirt and tracky's would be getting ripped to bits every night.

11. Knight_Errant

You'd be surprised what is possible with a nice, old, T-shirt and combats. That said, I did once buy a uniform and if a class insists on me wearing it, it will happen because it's simpler that way. I thought it was something that could be discussed, but I have a way of writing inflamatory stuff...

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I like training in T shirt/track suite etc

Prob is they rip to easily or stetch badly out of shape with ease! :(

Gi is good for that, cheap, nothing else takes so much abuse or washing before needing replacing. Judo Gi is best to get hold of if you do plenty of grappling, heavier though.

Only other alternative is lycra :D

13. Knight_Errant

The judo gi, in my opinion, is a much better piece of kit than our karate one. My sister has one and she grapples like a demon!

But for your information, there is an alternative. Try nice heavy cotton combat trousers and a thick T-shirt.

14. stump

stump Supersub

The Judo gi has a purpose.....most other material would rip under the abuse Judo Gis get.

Karate Gis are designed to make you look like an okinawan peasant

15. Knight_Errant

which would be cool. But I prefer to look like somebody with combats and a thick navy blue T-shirt on. The Judo gi is more use for serious martial artists.

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

They look similar to me ???

The ones I train in at the moment are pretty tuff, not sure what style they are for, nearly as strong as the Judo Gi's.

Never seen a t shirt thats strong enough for grappling.

I like training in T shirts and stuff, I do a lot! But Gi's are so practical, hate to admit it! :D

17. stump

stump Supersub

You should try Systema, I believe thats their uniform :)

18. Knight_Errant

Systema sounds like it rocks, from what I've read, but unfortunately I never did meet an instructor of it.

19. cioGium

cioGium New Member

hmm...

i don't think that karate uniforms are to make you look like an japanese peasant(more or less an okinowian) because i've seen many pictures of old martial artists from vietnam and china that happend to wear white uniforms- and i think the reason is a more practical one - cotton! (or other material they used to fabric those uniforms):D

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Uniform snobs???.... how ludicrous!

I find there are more snobs out of uniform/dobok/gi than in one!:rolleyes: .... seems they (uniforms) are far more "humbling"... just my opinion.