ung moon

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by ballistic, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

hi all
    just wondering if anyone does the ung moon form as part of their Jun Fan training?

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

no!i do the jun fan from the oakland,L.A. time peroid,is it from the seattle(jesse glover) time peroid.who is your instructor?

3. Porterman

Porterman New Member

Ung Moon = five gate. I think it is a form developed by Inosanto for a consolidation of parry and strike techniques. Not taught outside of Inosanto JKD as far as I know.

4. tel

tel

ah cheers then i do know it,thanks for the explation

5. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

apparently it is a form created by Bruce Lee. Something to include all the basic defences in wing chung. i am interested in it because i have never heard of it anywhere other than Inosanto lineage. anyone have any further info?

6. JackBauer

JackBauer New Member

Ron Balicki has it on his JKD Instructor series

7. Porterman

Porterman New Member

Balicki is trained under Inosanto and is married to Dan's daughter Diana, so it is not surprising that he would be including the "form" on his dvd's. I'm pretty sure the "form" is an Inosanto JKD development based on the parry/strike combos he learned from Lee.

8. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

a jkd form. bruce lee would rightfully kill inosanto if lee were alive.

9. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

i rekon its a Jun Fan form not a JKD form, just my opinion!

10. tel

tel

its not a form in the tradtiional sense,we do it with focus gloves,more like drills thena form,the word form prob not the best word to use,dan inosanto has keeped the jun fan the same has BL left it,just showing the stuff bruce would not teach.

11. Porterman

Porterman New Member

I agree with you tel the "form" is more of a drill. There is also a couple kicking forms which are actually supposed to be disigned by Bruce himself. These are pretty much drills too. Anybody do the kicking "form"?

12. tel

13. Porterman

Porterman New Member

The kicking form is for learning to use kicking combinations, kicking to different levels, being able to perform any kick from different angles, etc. I don't know how commonly its taught as other drills would be just as good or better.

14. tel

tel

never heard to it then,sounds interesting to look at tho,who is your instructor?

15. Porterman

Porterman New Member

Currently not training under anyone, just working on what I've learned. I trained with people from Inosanto/LA. I think Tim Tackett and others used to teach the form at a couple of his seminars. There is also a book I saw years ago by David Cox that shows the Oakland kicking drills/form. I believe the book is called "Tao of Gung Fu: Kicking Drills". There's nothing special about them, but it is a good consolidation of material to work from.

16. tel

tel

cool,got the book will have a read,if its the john little one

17. Porterman

Porterman New Member

No it's a different book actually by William David Cox, an Oakland era student. It's listed on this page of books for sale from a great book supplier, its really surprising they still carry it because the book has been out of print for nearly 20 years. It's Tao of Gung Fu:Kicking Drills. http://ryukyu.com/id123.html#kicking

18. tel

tel

wicked thanks for the link

19. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

The final Phase or stage of what is called Jeet Kune Do has no forms at all. Because all forms are a classical mess. This is what Mr. Lee had said himself.

John

20. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

no phase of geek kune do or jeet kune do should have any forms.