Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiMac, Mar 4, 2016.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

Cough cough , seven samurai .

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

greatest movie ever.

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aye, it's on my short list of greats, too, but it's not a Western. And the American western version doesn't compare.

And -- the farm was failing because the animals were against him. They didn't forgive him (note the movie title) for how he treated them back when he was a killer. He ain't like that no more, but they don't care. He's unforgiven. (I don't know how I missed this the other times I saw the movie!!) And with the passing of his wife, it's gotten even worse. After being there five minutes the Kid even commented on the sorry state of the farm. So Will very much needed the reward money. :cry:

I love how deep this movie is. :happy:

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Is it just not a rehash of the story of Achilles with a more upbeat ending?

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Deadwood is absolutely fantastic. The script is frankly poetry and it's just dripping in atmosphere and grit. You know something is quality when the primary antagonist is bloody Lovejoy and after one episode you don't even care/remember. It's a real shame it got axed after season 2.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

How have we not mentioned the Man with No Name trilogy yet?!?

THE SOUNDTRACKS.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'm deeply offended.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm mortified. Outrage rescinded.

9. Bozza Bostik

I never saw Lovejoy, so I spent the first season scratching my head going, "who the hell is that guy? What's he been in?"...Bit of a shock when I realised who it was.

They've been talking about making a film to finish the series for years, but apparently it is now going to happen. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Did you miss "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", or the film considered the greatest adult western, "The Searchers"?Not much in the way of heroic fantasy in that one.

"Pale Rider"-rehash of Shane w/supposed mystic overtones.My least favorite Eastwood western.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

While to a degree it is very reminiscent of Shane, it must be remembered that Shane is a far from original story.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

actually didn't they do three season? i really liked the 3rd season the best, personally. the george hearst character is amazing.

13. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If they did then I'm firing up my girlfriends Mac next weekend and having myself a marathon!

14. aikiMac

You guys are crazy. I watched "High Plains Drifter" last night. It's a good movie, for sure, but it doesn't compare to "Unforgiven."

15. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Unforgiven is one my favourite Western movies.

Fun fact: An old friend of my Dad, Ron White, played Clyde Ledbetter; the one-armed guy.

16. aikiMac

Watched "Pale Rider" last night. I'd seen parts of it here and there over the years, but last night was the first time I watched the whole thing in one sitting.

It's very, very good. And in particular the directing (by Eastwood) was excellent -- camera angles, lighting (e.g., the campfire discussion), close ups at the right time, all of that was great.

It's not at the level of "Unforgiven," though. You guys are crazy. What's missing is the layers in the story. Story is what makes a good movie.

The villain in "Pale Rider" is one-dimensional and motivated only by money. Gene Hackman's character, though, in "Unforgiven," had a lot more. Eastwood's character in "Pale Rider" has no backstory. We don't know how he got his bullet scars, we don't know what he used to do before he took up the collar, we don't even know if he really is a preacher. He is that which is implied by the Bible verse -- an ghost who brings death. But we know all about Eastwood's character in "Unforgiven." Those details make the story richer, and thus the movie better.

17. Bozza Bostik

Yes we do know how those things happened.

Some people like everything explained to them in a film, others like to figure things out for themselves. ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016