Under the weather.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 6footgeek, May 5, 2013.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Oh jeez its become so hot and humid these days! Even breathing feels so icky like im breathing recycled air. Ukh! horrid horrid horrid!

Anyways. just a general discussion. How is your training affected by seasons? Things like, what you guys do to cope? what do you enjoy about the seasonal change. Anything really.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Something that I have to make sure I'm on top of during the hot months, especially when it's augmented with high levels of humidity, is my nutrition. I sweat -a lot- (I could probably lose 10 lbs of water weight in an hour) and it causes me to run out of energy quicker and I start cramping up.

Eating something light during a workout, and getting some type of sports drink in during workouts or extended activity usually keeps me going. Pedialyte is great stuff too if you're really going to be active for a while. Also, making sure I'm on top of rehydrating after a workout helps me not feel like crap the next day.

3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I never run in the winter, I can't stand it. So I sometimes put on some winter blubber.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Doesn't change me much. Although I prefer running in cold weather.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I'm sorry but isn't Pakistan hot all the time? Aren't your only seasons summer and more summer?

Come to Canada and you can experience all the seasons and even some new ones.

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I can vouch for this, mother nature up here is very confused and sometimes very angry. Between the flooding, snowstorms in late April, and extreme seasons, it's very confusing on what we have to wear lol.

On topic, for winter (which is like 9 out of 12 months here), I mostly stay inside for training, be it Boxing or working out. For the few months of summer we have, I usually go for sprints/runs outside with my dog, who happens to kick my ass every single time lol.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Winter is the worst. -20 degrees C or less, a few hours daylight...It gets really depressing and it's kinda hard to leave the house at times to go and train. I get really lethargic, lazy, demotivated and a bit depressed.

I used to love the winter but I have grown to hate it. Summer is now my favourite week of the year. But then when that week does arrive you really can't be bothered to be stuck in a gym. You want to be outside in the sun. A lot of clubs here close down for a month or two in the summer or reduce their training.

How do I cope with it? By looking for a job abroad. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  8. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

haha. it can guy pretty cold in the northern areas of Pakistan. but near the sea where I live, there's only spring, summer with humidity level over 9000 and regular summer.

it costs boat loads to run an air conditioner. so I do most of my training very early morning. it's relatively cool then and some of the the water vapor styles on the ground. making it pretty slippery.

my frequency of classes decrease to twice a week from may to August. in the bearable times I can go up to 4 times.

sigh. I really want to go to a chilly place. I'm fed up of this kind of weather. :'(

9. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I hate working out in the summer, I have very good memories and experiences training in the winter and colder times. I sweat very easily, for some reason, and the heat doesn't help at all.

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I feel your pain. As somebody who has had a heat stroke once, heat exhaustion to the point of being messed up for a week multiple times, and just sweating more then the average person . . . . summer is not a friend : P.

I do love getting a tan though :p

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Come the summer months, my training suffers. I do a lot more running and padwork outside the dojo (I have to tie a thai pad to a tree), but I find the heat intolerable and am prone to excessive sweatiness, muscle cramping and rapid exhaustion as a result. Night-time training sessions become really common for me (from 8pm onwards, sometimes as late as 11pm or even midnight) depending on the day.

On the other hand, I love the winter months. I can train for much longer and am very comfortable going outside while it's snowing, raining, hailing or ridiculously cold to train but I don't tend to do any running (I have bad shin splints so road running isn't good for me and the grass gets really muddy). Training barefoot without a top on during the winter months is my favourite hobby, makes the people on my local estate think I'm a real hard man :p

12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

getting over a cold now. I've been taking Echinacea from a local organic food store which got me over it in about 3 days. I still was taking mucinex-D and using some nose spray here and there. I also have a 22 antioxidant blend that I had ordered a while back. I just mixed it in hot water and that seemed to help clear my head a little for a little while.

Best thing to do IMO is just rest as much as possible and drink as much water as you can.