Under development ... a short quiz/IQ test

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by iolair, May 12, 2005.

1. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I'm writing a short quiz/IQ test, only 5 questions. Except currently I can't think of a fifth.

http://www.iolairweb.co.uk/enter/

Take a look ... see if you can answer 1 to 4, and let me know any suggestions (maybe private message) for a 5th question... Oh, and the timer at the bottom stops when you've answered question 4 - see how long it takes you!

Unlike rather a few online quizzes I've seen, this one doesn't require any knowledge of american culture or even english-language, though some grounding in maths will help!

(The quiz will eventually be the front page for a small website, although people that have already answered it will be able to get a username and password from the site to bypass having to do the quiz again ... that's what the logon box in the top right of the screen is for, even though it doesn't do anything yet).

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

would help if you actually posted some questions.... and as a psych student, please dont call it an iq test or intelligence test. it isn't.

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

uhm, what are the questions? I just see a bunch of symbols, patterns, and a box with lots of colours. no questions though.

4. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Part of the test is identifying and working out how to submit answers to the questions... And yes, being able to successfully do so in a reasonable amount of time is partly a function of "intelligence".

(No need to go into a "what is intelligence" debate here... I have books on that stuff).

Anyone answer question 1 yet? Had someone get the first one within a couple of minutes of me posting this on another site.
    [EDIT]Just checked the thread I posted on PlanetJitsu ... someone already has 1 to 3 sussed out! http://www.planetjitsu.com/viewtopic.php?t=12484&sid=666291244bd5a6b49b198a3e081acec9[/EDIT]

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  5. Wax

Wax Valued Member

This ones going to keep me up...

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I answered the first 3, then cheated on the last one :)

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I cant answer any. Thanks for making me feel dumb! :bang:

8. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

That is fairly evil :woo:

My highlighting: the biggest problem is lack of feedback. Intellectually I sorted the answers in a reasonable time - but without the help of the linked site I would not have had the patience to find the correct way to tell the question-screen the answer. The clock read 1887, but I had a long conversation in the middle about a sick workmate :rolleyes:

I'll give some thought to question 5 for you.

9. Lol - I haven't looked at the site/cheated yet.

I've got the first one ("X") and will attempt the rest later - can't think right now :bang:

10. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Number 3 is ridiculous hard for somebody who doesn't work with computers a lot. The point of an "intelligence test" is to have tasks that require no outside knowledge to complete. Oh, and make it so you can turn off boxes if you click the wrong one, rather than having to start over.

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I'm same as Aegis - got the first three but cheated on the last one - still can't really see how the answer relates to the question in 4.

Try right clicking :)

12. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

This is why it's an intelligence test/quiz ... part intelligence test, part quiz. The intelligence part comes as much in working out how to put in your answers as working out the answers...

And there are ways to both turn off an individual box or to turn off all the boxes, neither of which requires restarting the quiz. (DangerMouse spotted the main one ... in fact the icon above the questions reminds you that you have TWO mouse buttons)

Oh, and probably a final update to the image for question 4, I'm happy that it's quite clear now! Suggestions for question 5, anyone?

13. PowerTurtle

PowerTurtle New Member

What the heck? I am utterly confused. How does one answer the questions?

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  14. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Knowing binary has no bearing on your intelligence. 99% of the world has no use for binary and therefore wouldn't know it without looking it up. I'm sure you didn't intend for your quiz to rank every non-programmer as a moron (or did you...?), so what happens is that you end up forcing people to go look it up.

As for the right click thing...whoops :) . At least I don't have to keep using the stupid red button anymore...

15. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

A large part (in fact, probably the MAJOR part) of the test is working out how to interpret the questions and submit answers.

16. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I'm open to suggestions for alternative questions, although my intention is that only a small proportion of people (less than 5% or thereabouts) would be able successfully complete all the questions and proceed to the site that will eventually be beyond it...

BTW, I'm happier discriminating against non-programmers than against non-English speakers ... at least people from most cultures and languages could attempt that quiz on an even footing. Although most people should have had enough exposure to binary from high school maths or some computing knowledge that they can recognise it sufficiently to at least go and look it up. (Nothing wrong with looking things up to help you answer questions...)

17. PowerTurtle

PowerTurtle New Member

Well that's no fun at all.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  18. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I actually have a decent suggestion for the fifth one (assuming they're supposed to be ascending difficulty). Should I post it here?

19. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Could you PM me?

20. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I really dont like the 3rd question. I have never learnt binary, in school or outside school.