Uncommon Kuk Sool weapons

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Wolf, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Maybe it was a gift from someone who didn't know he couldn't actively use it in his martial art, maybe it is an heirloom. Maybe it is a treasured keepsake he would rather people be able to admire rather than keep in a closet never to be seen. There are many reasons something might be on a sword rack.

2. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Some staff weapons, such as Bill Hooks, were originally agricultural tools that were simply adapted for warfare. The side spike or hooked blade on some pole arms were mainly used for unseating mounted men. The English Bill was somewhat shorter, stouter, and heavier than most others found on the European Continent as, once the horseman was unseated, it was more useful for close-quarter combat.

The Scottish Lochaber axe consisted of a blade and a small hook on the end of a pole, and were in use over a period of around 300 years (fifteenth to the eighteenth century).

The War Hammer and Poleaxe were very useful in close-quarter combat in that they could open up armour plate, whereas swords tended to glance off.

Incidentally, the English Yeomen (Beefeaters) ceremonial weapon is the Partisan, yet another type of variant pole weapon.

Attached Files:

3. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Take your pick...

...or perhaps that should that should be, 'Take your Pike'!

In Europe, during the Middle Ages, there were a mass of differently-named pole-arms. Here's a few to be going on with:

Attached Files:

4. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

And these...

Here's a few more:

Attached Files:

5. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

those in the first picture nearly all have similar functionality though:

a tip spike for stabbing and use as a pike or hand-held spear
    a hook for catching a horseman and disemboweling the horse (or even trip the horse)
    guards to catch a sword and stop it sliding down the pole
    a sidespike with two purposes: poleaxing a felled horse, and punching through armour
    presumably you could use the hook as a giant can opener as well
    you could argue over whether the tassles are mere decoration, or there to catch the blood and stop it making the handle wet
    All in all, quite sophisticated designs

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  6. drewsif

drewsif Valued Member

Most likely it is probably something close to one of these explanations. I'll ask when I go to class on Tuesday and report, if anyone is interested in knowing?

7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

As I said previously, the book and myself are currently not in the same place, but to answer your question: No, I don't believe that the article on TP's website is an excerpt from the translation of MYDBTJ by professor Kim.

I also suspect that the website's reprinted article (Turtle Press never says WHO the author is, but does put a copyright disclaimer at the bottom of the page) may be a translation as well, and therefore when it's stated that the woldo is WEAK, what it probably means is that it's INEFFECTIVE in battle. From what I've gathered, it's extremely cumbersome and therefore only the strongest and most talented soldiers could actually use it. This explains why those who could wield it successfully and chose to use it as their primary weapon (an intimidation factor, perhaps?), grew instant reputations as to their prowess.

8. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  9. unknown-KJN

You said "Google" but linked a page from Wikipedia. :confused:

FYI- googly and wicked-pædia are owned by different companies/organizations.

10. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

ooops - typo
    corrected now, thanks
    twas a bit late last night when that was posted...

11. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Hi Bill SBN.
    Can you PM me sometime and let me have contact details for KJN Sims? I have tried to contact him via his website but for some reason it keeps rejecting the address. PS> When do you find time to practise all those weapons?!!

12. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

On the subject of "Jool Bong". I once had some Korean visitors to my class. It was a family of four, all of whom were dahn grades in TKD one of whom was 3rd dahn. As I was only 2nd dahn at the time I think he felt that he could not subject himself to my tuition. However, while they were there we had a converstaion about Jool Bong. The mother told me that as the weapon consists of two staffs connected by a chain (not a rope) the correct term was Ssahng Chuhl Bong and that there was indeed another weapon called a Jool Bong (sometimes romanised as Juhl Bong). I often wondered about this but then forgot about it, until I joined the NKMAA and was introduced to this weapon, which is a single wooden short staff with a rope loop passing through a hole about 1" from one end which is looped around the users wrist and held between fingers and thumb whilst spinning. It is used in a similar way to the Ssahng Chuhl Bong although it behaves quite differently. It can also be used VERY effectively to do techniques similar to some of the KWSA's Poh Bahk Sool as well as murderously effective joint locking and striking techniques. I would say that this is harder to learn than Ssahng Juhl Bong especially as there are no commercially avialable "soft options" made from foam covered plastic! LOL

13. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I've never much liked the idea of looping a cord (or whatever) around my wrist, as it has the potential for my opponent to seize the weapon, twist it suddenly, and thereby capture and control my wrist and arm. I prefer to loop the cord over my thumb, so that it hangs down the back of my hand initially, and then turn my hand in so as to grasp the weapon itself. This method is described by Michael Echanis (and illustrated) in his book, Basic Stick Fighting for Combat on page 124. He calls the weapon a 'Snapping Short Stick', or 'Bone Beaker'.

14. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

How long is the string? About 24 inches?
    How long is the stick? About 8? I've seen one like that before, but not from a KMA practicioner.

Not too worried about the conflicting terminology. We have many words in English that have different meanings, refer to different things, or are slight misnomers. Besides, the difference between "Chul" and "Juhl" is quite subtle, particularly when the listeners are not only not native speakers, but have very limited experience with the language.

15. unknown-KJN

I agree with BUK. Jeol bong (절봉) means "sectional staff" (or a stick in sections) while cheol bong (철봉) most likely refers not to a staff made of steel, but to the connecting substance used for a sectional staff (chain as opposed to rope). Of course, knowing the hanja would clear up all speculation.

In regards to the weapon brought up by KIWEST, that is, a short club fastened with a lanyard, isn't that merely one type of SLAPJACK, even though not listed in the link I inserted?

EDIT:
    Although a picture of a truncheon, this is what I had in mind as a "club-style" slapjack.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  16. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

There was a video on YOUTUBE of a KS halberd form...but now it is "private".

17. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Just found, by acident, this site
    http://www.swordsofkorea.com/weapons.htm

that has several photos of different types of Korean weapons such as "flails", clubs, tridents spears muskets etc.

Just thought it might be interesting.

Cheers all.

18. drewsif

drewsif Valued Member

See if you can send them a PM and ask about it?

19. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Of course too, there are always the stone and sand throwing techniques...

You develop the skill of throwing a rock...you make someone's day bad in a hurry!

20. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

You mean there's a technique to it!!!? Most kids I grew up with soon became proficient at throwing stones without any instruction... Ah, the windows we broke! :evil: