Uncommon Kuk Sool weapons

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Wolf, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I'm just curious about a couple weapons listed in the syllabus that I've never seen demonstrated in Kuk Sool before, and I was wondering if anyone else has. If so where and by whom?

1) Wol Do (Halbard)
    2) Sam Jul Bong (3 section staff)
    3) Do Kki (battle axe)
    4) Jang Bong (long staff)

Edit: Forgot about 5) Trident (Sam Ji Chang?)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  2. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

I've not seen them demonstrated in Kuk Sool either but in the town where I live you see them quite regularly on a Saturday night. lol

3. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Nope. Haven't seen any demonstrations of those. It'd be interesting to see them, or at least to know when they are taught :)

I know another one is the trident (not sure of the Korean name). I've seen pictures of KSN holding one.

I'm also curious about sword hyung. According to the sword handbook, there are 4 sword principles (1. straight sword, 2. inverted sword, 3. double short sword, 4. double long sword). It goes on to say each type of sword principle has 6 forms. From all I've seen, each level of black belt gets one of the different principles... but obviously there's a LOT more. So, has anyone seen those other sword forms?

4. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

I've seen 2 different double long sword forms, one by KJN Philip Holmes and the other by Alex Suh, and maybe a third by Sung Jin, but I ain't sure on that one. Every other weapon I've seen I've only witnessed one form for. :Alien:

The title of this thread springs a question to mind. Have any of the people here learnt the Jool Bong form yet? What belt is it 'officially' supposed to be learnt at? :rolleyes:

5. KSW_KJN

KSW_KJN Valued Member

From what I understand, those forms follow what is in the Mooye Dobo Tongji and are the traditional hyung. I'll check again. I've seen Wol Do Hyung and Jang Bong Hyung, but those have only been done by the most senior masters in KSW. The two times I've seen these, they were done by 8th degree masters from Korea. Although, if any non-korean master knows them, I would hazard a guess they are in Master Barry Harmon's repetoire.

6. Wolf

I know A Jul Bong form just not THE Jul Bong form. (created by KJN Middleton)

7. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Master ****son Kunz has demonstrated Chang Hyung. I have seen it at the Houston Tournament. I can't remember the year. This is not the same as the spear sparring form that is being demonstrated now.

8. Wolf

I saw him do it at st. louis last year. it's a pretty cool form.

9. KSW_Martley

Haha its funny it has to filter out the name lol cuz it says D*CK :Angel:

10. KSW_Martley

Erm, as in, the one by KJN Middleton IS 'the' *official* Jool Bong form or isn't? :confused:

11. Wolf

is not. just something he put together a while back.

12. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

the second straight sword form and the second spear form were demo'd at korea, i have only seen one double long sword form and it goes form straight to inverted, so you might have seen it split in to two, i think kjn simms konws the long spear form, and the trident is pictured in the book " fighting weapons of korean martial atrs" , and i would also like to know the jool bong form, and i dont think it is at any fixed belt. but thats all i know.

13. SBNBILL

SBNBILL New Member

I guess I'm just lucky since KJN Sims has been my instructor for the last 22 years. I've either seen him use or had him teach me just about every weapon in the Kuk Sool arsenal along with many that aren't. This is a list that I know for a fact. Staff, short sticks, swords (you name it), moon knife, iron ring, 3 and 9 section chain, 3 sectional staff, juhl bong, spear, hook spear, sai (chahng tando), tomfa (Charu), single and double axe, archery, knife throwing, cane, rope dart, fan, and tigers fork.

Hope everyone had a good holiday season
    Bill - SBN

14. Wolf

WOW! I hope I can learn all those at some point (though I'm a little busy with first degree curriculum right now) :D

15. ember

ember Valued Member

I haven't seen them formally demonstrated. I have seen (2), the 3-section-staff, on the weapons rack at our dojang, and a couple of black belts were working with them after class a couple of nights ago. I didn't see much, I had other things to do that evening.

16. ember

ember Valued Member

I haven't learned it, but I have seen it. I *think* I've seen both single jool-bong and double jool-bong forms, both performed by PSBNs, but it'll probably be several years before I'm sure what I saw.

I think I remember being told that the Jool Bong isn't 'officially' in the curriculum at a particular rank yet.

17. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

That's my understanding as well. There's nothing official about it. Apparently there's SOMETHING structured with it, because a lot of people know about it, everyone tends to do the same spinning sets, seminar a few years ago taught it. I even remember doing some web searches a couple years ago before Black Belt Magazine restructured their site and removed the article archives (I think the article was in BBM) and there was an article on jool bong that featured Master Barry Harmon talking about it. It was actually interesting because it showed pictures of jool bong and they were NOT nunchaku like we use... the connecting chain was a lot longer.

But yet, it's not officially part of the KSW curriculum. Still, it's a good training tool.

18. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

I have seen:

2 x Straight Sword Form (Jung Guhm Hyung and the one that KJN Sung Jin does)
    1 x Reverse Sword Form
    1 x Double Sword Form
    1 x Double Short Sword Form
    1 x Staff Form (Middle)
    1 x Double Short Stick Form
    3 x Spear Form (Chang Il Hyung, the one in Korea and another one I have seen done with a spear and a staff so I don't know which one it is)

There is also the sword cutting form that KJN Sung Jin does that I have heard called Bae Gi Hyung (or something) but I don't know if that is official or something he made up.

19. KSW_Martley

Yeah I remember seeing that last year, it was pretty cool :woo:

20. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

There is a second middle staff form: joong bong ee hyung. It is considerably longer and not nearly as compact (in terms of floor space needed) as joong bong il hyung. No, I do not remember any more than this... old age is taking its toll :bang: