Un-ordinary Training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sandninjer, May 29, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Not much to say on my front - the having one person walk down a straight line with two groups of people on either side that would spontaneously attack you in random orders and groups was always fun.

I've had former instructors break out kids' bean bags and get you to move in zenkutsu-dachi (karate) or in shiko (aikido) round the tatami. That wasn't too bad, but when you had to do the techniques in those stances without letting the bean bags fall off your head was just evil.

Then there was performing the kihon dosa blindfolded with a partner opposite you. If you weren't in control of your body then you would bump into the other person.

Also a former instructor of mine told me about having an empty squash bottle dangling from a bit of string that you had to kick at. The trick was to be able to kick it as fast as you could - without it making a sound or flying about. The idea was to teach you speed and control. it's do-able but damned hard.

2. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Some interesting responses here. I do agree that the gauntlet idea sounds like fun though.

3. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Adrenaline Response Training Systems has a lot of loud crazy sucker punch scenarios that were intense. Needless to say, i got hit alot...lol

4. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I bought a bunch of bouncing balls once and started throwing them as hard as possible against my wall while still having to catch them. I actually did this for a few months, but I eventually had to stop because the neighbors got angry about the sound. It took them a good while to figure out it was me and I didn't think they could hear it through the wall. I had no idea I was tormenting them. :p

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Best one I did was when studying Krav,

class in simulated mini bus (he was trying to get a mini bus to use in the carpark), instructor selects students to attack whilst other students are not aware of who has been selected i.e. fight on bus, strangle from behind, arguement ect on bus. LARPing in a confined space was fun and very enlightening.

Other than that police turned up once when we were doing a red knife day (training knifes covered in red paint) in a local park once. Same instructor had us breakfalling in a carpark....

Osu!

Dan93