Ukraine say's Russia has invaded

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhythmkiller, Feb 28, 2014.

1. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

That is what is know as damning with faint praise. :)

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to change that to "the late" 20th century. Ol' England, along with other European countries, got the ball rolling.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Stalin was an ethnic Georgian. I think Kruschev was Ukrainian (but I'm not 100% certain about that.) Chernenko sounds Ukrainian too. Maybe not many Soviet leaders were Russian after all!

Nevertheless, I agree with your main point. (And it's one I've made before.) The USSR was Russian dominated, in just the same way that the UK is English dominated.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey Sifu Ben, sorry, I seem to have missed your reply as quoted by Johnno above.

Thanks for the article you linked, though I wouldn’t really conclude that Russia gave an either-or position with that. It’s just regular economic precautions to protect Russian industries, and as there is no free trade agreement in place there is nothing unusual in this.

Not sure where you’re getting the info on Stalin from, he was born in Gori, Georgia to Georgian parents. I have not seen anything to show that Gori self identifies itself as Russian. I would have thought if that was the case, Gori would no longer be part of Georgia, but would be more like the other two separatist regions.

Yes, the Soviet leadership was centralised in Moscow. Here is a list of Soviet Premiers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_leaders_of_the_Soviet_Union

At least half are not Russian, or pure Russian (not that such a thing really exists, but that’s another issue).

With regards to the weapons sales, I can’t speculate as to who sold what to whom as I really don’t know the details, but we do know for a fact that the largest weapons exporter is the US. Also, it should be noted that AK’s are manufactured globally by numerous producers, here is a list of sorts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47#Production_outside_of_the_Soviet_Union.2FRussia

I wouldn’t be surprised if the same was the case for the BMP’s. As regards to the MIG’s they are usually Soviet era types and are traded by a host of nations which inherited them during the dissolution of the USSR.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Came across some of these on another forum and dug up a few others, interesting reading:

China’s view???

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Of course, would you expect it to be any different. I'll bet the Russians have their own self interests at heart as well.

Power mongers across the world are playing dominance games and the common people are the pawns.

So what else is new?

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Yeah, they've asked several times now. I heard they added "pretty please with sugar on top" the last time they did. The Russians are shaking in their boots.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Indeed!

What grinds on me is the blatant disregard of the powers that be. Either they are so detached that they believe their own nonsense or they take general populous for absolute brainless idiots, probably both really.

9. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Steven Seagal Has Some Thoughts About Vladimir Putin And Ukraine

Oh dear first that basketball player hanging out with his good friend in North Korea and now Seagal has to put his two cents worth in about Russia, why is it that some people that get their heads on TV suddenly become in their minds lots of things that they are not they must place more importance in themselves then most other people do.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maxseddon/steven-seagal-has-some-thoughts-about-vladimir-putin-and-ukr