Ukraine say's Russia has invaded

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Rhythmkiller, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Apparently Russia had sent armed forces to occupy Sevastopol airport.

Prelude to war? America, Britain and France have asked Russia not to intervene but Russia say it is on their border. Bad times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26379722

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

The US, France, Britain only like to have wars with people they are convinced they will beat.

I could imagine violence between Ukrainians and ethnic-Russians with Russia getting in on the fun though.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've seen more stuff saying its pro-Russian militants. The only person saying its Russia itself is the Ukrainian dude. I could see a brief spat between Russia and Ukraine happening possibly but full on war? Nah. Ukraine would get rolled over and I don't see the Western powers being that interested in a war with Russia. There'll be a couple weeks of tension and the news reporting everything like its a missile strike but then it'll fizzle out.

I would say this reminds me of the Georgia - Russia war but I think Georgia started that one

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Georgia came to my mind too.

There is Russian military bases there anyway, so quite possibly they're just flexing theys muskles.

5. Rhythmkiller

Same here, Georgia immediately sprang to my mind. Russia are desperate to get Crimea though and to be fair most of the people who live in Crimea are formerly russian citizens who say they they want it returned to the motherland. Wonder waht Vlad is planning?

Baza

6. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Is there a reason for Russia to invade Ukraine?
    I mean in 2004 with the orange revolution things looked a lot more dire for Russia's influence on Ukraine. Back then they didn't do anything and in 5 years Ukraine got back in their hands.

Today there isn't any other major country that could or would threaten Russia's influence, so Russia has all the cards. Why would they attack with military now?

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Russia's been flexing doing flyovers of the territory but that doesn't really mean much. Reuters said someone is claiming they've blockaded a port as well but I can't find anything saying that's true.

The Crimea does seem to be a more potentially volatile issue than when the main focus was just Ukraine itself though.

I thought it was interesting that the two airports had armed people taking them over yet all the commuters seemed cool about it and carried on. Admittedly I think someone could get stabbed on the London Underground and everyone would carry on as normal but I thought it was interesting. I don't know anything about the place other than when I studied the Crimean War so I dunno if that's just commuter apathy or if its somewhere that's used to these sorts of things.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Dearest Ukraine,

We are not going to war with Russia on your behalf.

Sincerely,

The rest of the world

9. Rhythmkiller

Pretty much the long and short of it.

Baza

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Highly Skilled Peeper Supporter

Yeah, we're not (countries you mentioned) jumping into war with another super power in the world. France might, they do things on principle sometimes but that's usually to avoid war. :p

You don't just "go to war" with a country like Russia. Due to alliances and different interests, a war like that would pretty much be on autopilot to WWIII.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

When I was living in Kiev a couple years ago, I got the impression that pretty much everyone living east and south of the capital preferred the old Soviet Union days. I encountered more people speaking Russian than Ukrainian, even in Kiev. Crimea in particular is staunchly pro-Russian (think it's something like nearly 60% are ethnic Russian) and what happens in Kiev affects them, even if they are a republic for all intents and purposes. Russia also has a strong military there, so as has been said, this could all be to protect their assets.

12. Ero-Sennin

The "no identifying markers" on the people securing these areas seems to indicate an attempt at not making this turn into an international event leading to war. I didn't really read it as having deceptive intent honestly, although it could be used for that purpose. The woman with a baby in the second photo seems to suggest they're letting the airport function normally, maybe.

I can't even begin to speculate. From your post and other stuff I've read this whole thing sounds like a sticky situation. The Ukraine sounds like one country that is really split into two countries, and that will make things pretty difficult for the near future in figuring out how things are going to work out. Hopefully there isn't much bloodshed in the process.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah I agree. Ukrainians find themselves in a bit of a sticky situation. Some prefer the European way of doing things, others (I'd say more) want to shun the EU in favour of developing stronger ties with Russia. But a "one or the other" approach won't work. There is heavy western investment in Ukraine, and financial investment from European banks is very likely to increase given the dire stare of the country's economy. But Russia is so embedded in Ukraine that doing business with Europe is impossible without including Moscow to the same level (I dare say Moscow wants a greater say in Ukraine's future than Europe). Ukraine must deal with both. I heard a guy on the radio saying this could be a prelude to a Russian invasion, but Russia is already there - the Black Sea Fleet is based in Crimea. I dare say Russia's presence will actually stop this escalating to a full civil war.

14. Rhythmkiller

Apparently the fleet in the black sea has increased over the last few days. If it is indeed militia taking over airports in Crimea then the Ukraine forces which are still active should be able to remove them without causing an international incident. I wonder why they haven't?

According to reporters in Crimea the hardware these guys are packing isn't of the standard of pro Russian loyalists and militia.

Baza

15. Ero-Sennin

Just watched a video that's not appropriate here that's pretty much an unedited clip of Ukrainians under sniper fire (some of them get hit on camera, making it not appropriate to post). Unfortunately I saw the video through a conservative Facebook page claiming "this is coming to America!!!" Anyways, I hope the best for the people over there and that things can get sorted without too much violence.

16. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I'll never understand war.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What is it good for?

18. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Just prepare yourself for a few weeks of stupidity via Facebook it seems.

That and backwards and forwards news reports.

Hopefully the people over there won't suffer too much but that's probably foolish and naive thinking on my part.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

What's to understand? It's just people actively disliking one another. War is a play ground spat on a much bigger scale.

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Except the people who are having the spat aren't the ones doing the dying.