Ukemigata Taihenjutsu/Breakfalling

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by ninjabumon, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee New Member

Not like that If they are standing straight and you jump over them.

2. Solane

Solane New Member

The only person I have seen do it was a black belt in the judo club I was in before starting Ninjutsu. Dave was 6ft + and the guy he jumped over was about 5.8ft tall he had his head slightly bent and Dave did clip him, But still well impressive. We all use to start the session by doing rolls and diving rolls over other students after the warm up. I have cleared about 4 to 5ft and then gone into a forward roll with a running start.
    That was back when I was 17

Solane

3. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I saw one of the guys at our dojo clear a bo held at about 5 foot high then land in a roll (he was horizontal as he went over the bo, not vertical). He started from stationary, standing in front of the bo then jumped.

Whats the world record high jump at the moment?

Jumping is just another thing you can train in doing well, I get about a foot and a half off the floor if I jump from standing without a grat deal of effort.

At the heart of most myths and legends there lies a truth. The same is true of ninjas. Even though hollowood cheesed out the max on the ninja movies, there needs to be a basis for that.

4. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

how can you tell how high you jump?

5. Solane

Solane New Member

By knowing the height of the thing you are jumping over or onto or at least next to. :)

6. Cougar_v203

how bout if your not jumping over something and your just jumping in place?

7. Solane

Solane New Member

Like I said by knowing the height of the thing you are jumping next to. i.e. a low wall that you know is 3ft high you stand next to it and jump up.
    Helps if you have a friend telling you whether you have jump higher than the wall or the simple thing is to jump onto it.
    If you are in a room measure the height by temporarily marking the wall every foot with pins, blue tack and low adhesive tape. Then get a friend to watch you jump and let you know how high you went.

PLEASE NOTICE I SAID TEMPORARY when marking the wall as I don’t want you posting in 2 days time saying you’ve got grounded by permanently marking the wall by ripping wall paper, painting the marks etc and that your parents, partner, spouse, brother, sister, leisure centre or dojo are now out for my blood.

If you ask for a simpler explanation than that I know you have been hit in the head to many times and probably walk around with a note on your head say “My name is Cougar please don’t be scared of me” and one on your back saying “If found please ring ########### or point in the direction of nearest police officer” :)

Also that I must be mad for explaining the blindingly obvious in the first place :)

Solane

8. Cougar_v203

ok thanks.

9. Solane

Solane New Member

No prob Mate. Sorry about the sarcastic ending.
    I don’t mind explaining something if you genuinely did not understand. But got to the end and wondered if you were trying to wind me up by asking me a question I thought had an obvious answer.

Train safe

Solane

10. Cougar_v203

i'm new to ninjutsu so yea I would have lots of questions to ask :)
    don't be surprised to find the entire ninjutsu board filled with questions by me ;) don't have a heart attack though it may not have to come to that.

11. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

bumping a year old thread

this thread has some good info on taihenjutsu skills; thought I'd bring it back to the top to get more discussions on the subject.

Would anyone like to share some of their favorite training drills for taihenjutsu / ukemi practice?

12. Rus

Rus New Member

A quick question, I've trained with 3 different dojos, but collectively for just under 1 1/2 years and we use different names for the rolls and breakfalls..

mae kaiten/ukemi (forwards)
    yoko kaiten/ukemi (side)
    ushiro kaiten/ukemi (back)

I know they are only names, but does anyone know why this may be?

13. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

on names

Generally speaking, the difference in names is a matter of choice as they are nearly synonyms.

From my brief and limited study of the Japanese language, I use the following translations for ukemigata terms:

[may have to adjust browser settings to read shift-JIS encoding to see the kanji].

受身Ukemi = passive, receptive (receiving with the body).
    回転 Kaiten = rotation, turning, roll (a la rolling breakfall).

前Mae = before, i.e. before you in line / in front of you.
    前方Zenpo (zempou – different spelling / more phonetic) = forward, i.e. in the direction you are facing.

Both of the above use the same kanji, but zenpo is more specific as a direction of travel, whereas mae is a location.

横Yoko = side / on the side / lateral surface (location)
    側方Sokuhou = to the side (direction), not to be confused with速歩Soku Hou = fast-paced walking.

後Ushiro = back; behind; rear / opposite of mae.
    後方 Kohou = backwards (Again, like mae vs. zenpo – same root kanji, but adding 方hou (direction) differentiates it from location).

流れ Nagare = flow, stream, current (moving like water) – same kanji as used for ryu = style, method, school.

横転Oten = turning sideways, barrel roll (like the fighter jet maneuver).

Tenkai = Kaiten (kanji are written and read in reverse, but meaning is the same.

I’ve seen kuten and kiten used for flips and handsprings, but I’m not sure of the kanji, and which term is used for which acrobatic maneuver.

逆Gyaku = reverse, inverse, opposite, retro-
    跳Tobi = flying, leaping

Those are the most common ones, let me know if you need any other help with translations. I could use more practice with Japanese.

14. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

we have been taught to do forward rolls different from what i think you're discribing.
    You start in a normal roll begining but in sted of putting your head on the floor and rolling over like a kiddy one you lean slighlty to your shoulder so it takes your weight insted of your neck.

unless thats what you ment then sorry :)

15. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

Yeah, I learned those too dragon bunny. A lot less dangerous if you ask me.

Wondering? Are flips, handsprings or sommersaults? Just wondering because I'm not sure which ones they are talking about when they say "flip."

16. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

our sensi is trying to teach us both sommersaults by just doing a sommersault on to a crash mat and handsprings by using a person on all fours as a base for our hands then we're ment to land on our feet... but personally i just keep landing on my **** .. not very elegant or ninja-y !

17. Mordred

Mordred New Member

:D Sounds familiar!

I'm just not that good with gymnastics!

18. Deshi

Deshi New Member

I found that the biggest obstacle for me was the fear of going upside down - sounds odd but I always got just a bit disoriented when doing flips and rolls, and as it is I still end up on my backside when trying forward handsprings. I think I'm going to keep trying to jump from a lying down position (face up = supine, right?) and from there maybe my abs will get strong enough to help me finish the handspring with a little dignity...