Ukemi - Receiving with Spirit

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Brad Ellin, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Ukemi. When asked to define Ukemi, most people will say it's breakfalls or tumbling skills (rolling). It is, but it is also much more than that. I'm not going to try and teach you how to fall or roll, find a good teacher for that. Instead, I'm going to talk about what Ukemi means, beyond just the physical, to me.

Let's take a look at the world first. Pick up any good Japanese-English dictionary and look up the word. Passivity. To be passive. Does this sound like rolling to you? Break the word down.
    U-KE-MI. U (ju) = receive. To receive a punch, kick, grab, or verbal assault. KE (bu) turn oneself. Turn away from a strike. MI (shin) = body. KE can also be written to mean spirit, soul, or mood. So, Ukemi can be defined as turning away. Intent, anger, physical harm.

When your opponent throws you, and you escape by rolling away, you are "turning away" their force directed at you. When you allow yourself to be punched or grabbed in order to lure your opponent into a false sense of security that is "turning away" their intent. That is also Ukemi. When you are being screamed at, cursed at, and generally being verbally abused, yet stay calm and talk your aggressor down, that is Ukemi.

So you see, Ukemi isn't only about how to fall down without getting hurt. It's about receiving, turning away, and absorbing.

Learn to do Ukemi from any position. Standing, kneeling, left side, right side, weak side, and strong side. Backwards, forwards, to both sides. Remain relaxed. People often wonder why it is harder to roll when they think about it. In the beginning, you need to think about it. After all, no one wants to break his or her neck. But don't concentrate too much. Too much "mindful concentration" can cause you to falter, to question "Did I put my hand in the right place?" "Were my knees aligned properly?" "Did I have enough momentum?". After being shown the basics of rolling, practice. The first couple times each day, think about your movements. After that, just do. If you mess up, don't dwell on it. Laugh and try again.

Keeping a relaxed mind is essential for good Ukemi. It allows you to go with the flow (slip on an icy patch into a side roll and recover) without thinking of each individual movement. If it is a verbal attack, a relaxed mind helps to keep you calm and able to utilize verbal and emotional Ukemi, without it escalating into a physical confrontation.

That, to me, is what Ukemi is. Deflecting, turning away, absorbing. Taking what is thrown at you and surviving.

So go, practice your rolls and flips. Relax your mind and take care of your body. Ukemi is your friend and ally. Understand what it is to YOU.

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I like this.