UK Police - procedures for search of a female

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jang Bong, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As much as I like nearly all of what you have written I cannot agree with this.

Labour are notorious "book-cookers" and move the goalposts to suit their needs. Now they are not alone in doing this so it is not a jibe a Labour (even though I believe they stink).

Example? They were really proud of reducing drug crimes. Statistics are less impressive when you take into account the fact that they decriminalised cannabis so there were not as many offences to arrest for.

Labour has done more to cripple the legal system than it has helped it.

For all the UK bobbies on the forums I'll mention "CPS pre-charge" and leave it at that.

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Seconded ...all politicians cook the books .....it is the way of the corrupt!!! :D

3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

As you have mentioned Singapore’s culture is quite positive and progressive. But, if you look at the state of the place between the end of WWII and up to around the late sixties, early seventies, Singapore was a very unruly place. In fact to the british sailors it was known as Sin Galore, gangs, drugs prostitution etc. So if they can completely turn their society around from what it was to what it is, I think their policing policies would have played a big part.

Where is father Stalin when you need him.. :D

I may have missed your point here. But, you cant really compare harsh policing with suicide bombings, gang rape and pedophilia, they are not quite the same. I think we should aspire to a safe society where the law is obeyed and respected, in my opinion harsh policing is the way forward, to me the current methods are not very effective.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

I read the official crime figures recently, overall crime is down but violent crime is up.

I totally agree with Hannibal re Labours book cooking though. They have also created 3000 new offences since they came to power, thats what happens when you have a govt made up of lawyers.

I pretty much feel like this now, not just because of being searched. Ive on two occations had the police refuse to do anything when crimes were commited against me(theft/breaking and entering and assault) and I have witnessed them seriously beat a few people. I dont really trust them to be honest and consider them to be servants of the government more than us.

Saying that though I know there are good ones out there(Hannibal seems like one) and maybe ive just been unlucky.

5. Alansmurf

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I mentioned earlier that police should use violence more as writing tickets and asbos is a waste of time, many see their action as inconsequential. I think this somewhat backs up this point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6107028.stm

7. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

My point is in response to this comment
    I used extreme examples as analogy to illustrate the fact that just because people can 'get used to something' doesnt mean that its something that we want to have. Police brutality of law abiding citizens imho is one of those things.
    :D

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. But in my mind it does not really pan out that badly, I don’t envisage it to be that harsh, just harsher than now. Of course, there is no way of telling how any of this would be in reality, so I guess anything is possible, good, bad, etc.

9. Hannibal

10. Alansmurf

Only to get out of paying for their round at the bar !!!! :D

11. Hannibal

touche!

12. Shae

Shae Valued Member

I'm Appauled

My partner is actually in Hong Kong right now. Search and seizure can happen right on the street. No warrent, just suspcion of a crime, or that a crime is being "schemed". The officer is able to actually do a intimate search, as long as it is not open for public view...dressing rooms etc...

13. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

If you allow the police to beat up whoever THEY think deserves it then you ARE allowing them to decide who is guilty and who isn't.

I hate chavs, I really do. I think they're scum. They don't bother getting qualifications at school, where they do their utmost to ruin the lives of those who do. Then outside school they continue to harass the decent people with constant abuse, vandalism and violence. Then they can't get a job so they leech off the state, taking my hard-earned money which could be spent on shortening NHS waiting lists. I hate them with a vengeance. However, as much as they irritate me, and as much as I would love to see each one clobbered into a bloody pulp, if you allow the police to beat them up, what is there to stop the police from beating YOU up if they feel like it? All that would happen is that the police would become a safe haven for the bullies and thugs of this world to make a living out of what they enjoy best. And society would suffer.

No they wouldn't, because there's no point in obeying the law if the police are just going to smack you about regardless.

It's a matter of respect and common courtesy. For an innocent person to be stopped and detained without knowing why is extremely worrying and upsetting. Remember, you are innocent until proven guilty.

If you scare a suspect enough they'll confess to anything. Again, YOU DON'T KNOW THAT THEY'RE A CRIMINAL YET.

But the criminal law IS there for protection. It's there to protect decent people from criminals. If you give the police too much freedom, then who will protect the decent citizens from the police?

Well - and this goes for Hannibal too - I just happened to read a Guardian statistic in an article that said crime had gone down by about 25%, though violent crime was on the increase. Hannibal is a policeman though so take it with a pinch of salt if necessary.