UK Local Elections

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Princess Haru, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I was just going over the options for my postal vote, since Thursdays are usually fairly busy and I've occasionally missed the 10pm (not that there's much to choose from), and noticed only 1 of the 4 candidates actually lives here in my local ward.

Sure, they all live in Cambridge, but would think if they are representing my area living here and not in a 'nicer' part of town matters. Does anyone else bother to check this kind of thing out?

I don't know if there are rules at constituency level now but that would surely go down even less well if your local MP lived in another County.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

My MP doesn't live in this constituency but he's still good at his job. I don't think it matters much honestly. You don't have to live somewhere to be able to understand the issues and listen to your constituents. It helps, but not essential.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think there is a problem in candidates being parachuted into available constituencies just because the party wants that particular person in parliament. It's putting the party administration's wishes above what's best for the constituency.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

it makes a mockery of the representation system. Hpw can a person be expected to honestly represent the needs of the constituency if they don't understand the needs of the constituency.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award