UK Law on head covering in public places

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Oct 15, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Your mate sounds amusing. Probably in small doses.

Has he been arrested a lot? :D

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I was expecting a religious row long before now.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There's no reasoning with bellends.

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yes, because demanding he removes his beard is (effectively) infringing his right to religious freedom.

It's not particularly logical at all (or in the slightest) when you think about it, mind. But the right to practice your religious customs is largely enshrined in law. Plus most major companies would probably be slapped with a major law suit if they told religious folks they weren't allowed to wear clothing/jewellery associated with their religious customs.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Why should anyone be banned from having a beard, regardless of the reasons why they have it? :confused:

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Succinct, to the point, on the money, bang on, hit the nail.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It's good to see the norms are in full control :D

That man's wearing a hoodie! He must be a crim!

The low slung nature of this fellow's jeans provide proof positive of his criminal intentions!

That person has tattoos! Officer! Officer!

Personally, I think it's a load of nonsense based on a fallacy, but am happy to compromise in some cases.

To examine the basis for the argument first; "Criminals occasionally use crash helmets while committing robberies because they hide their identity, therefore we must ban crash helmets."

Sometimes true. There was also the famous "Flat cap robber," yetI see no rules enforced to ask customers to remove their hats. Or sunglasses. Or over long fringes (I'm looking at you, Emos). So this is making a special case of one group, I suspect more because of a fantasy of "outlaw bikers" that plays on the minds of the impressionable and ill-educated.

In addition, I'd like to see the stats. How many robberies were committed by individuals wearing crash helmets? Where? When? Under what circumstances? Companies are great at creating rules to combat perceptions, wouldn't it be great to know the reality?

Lastly, how many crimes are prevented by these rules? Is the thought process of the criminal likely to be, "I won't rob that petrol station, they have a sign asking me to remove my crash helmet so I can't wear it in there!" I suspect not. :D

Given all that, we have rules that are introduced based on knee jerk reaction and prejudice rather than any evidence based research or logic, the latter being something I thought we were generally pretty keen on at MAP :)

Having said all that, I use my own judgement on a practical basis.

If I'm riding in winter (thick gloves, possibly inner gloves, maybe a balaclava under the lid, earplugs in, neck warmer carefully tucked in), I'm not willing to take all that off and sort it all out again just to get petrol.

If the attendant won't switch a pump on whilst I have my lid on, I go elsewhere. If they ask me to remove it when I enter the kiosk/shop to pay, I politely refuse and explain why. At this point they want my money so give in.

If I'm nipping into a shop for a single item that will take seconds, I leave it on. No point faffing around. If I'm going round Tesco for 10 minutes then I'd take it off.

Now, I wear a full face helmet with a black visor, partly because I'm incredibly cool and tough, but mostly to save the world having to look at my fizzog. But if I was wearing a flip up lid or open face and some overzealous numpty was asking me to remove it, I'd be summoning the manager myself to enquire why, if head coverings that leave the face visible are banned, people in those stupid-looking baggy woolly hats are allowed (and they should be banned from all public places just for being mooks).

But then, I am a road warrior, a dashing rebel who plays be his own rules. Oh yes.

Mad Mitch Max

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Blacked out visor !!!!

Criminal ...

9. Mitch

Bang to rights Guv! Slap on the irons :D

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Oooh, Mitch in chains...

[​IMG]

11. Mitch

Chains and leathers! :D

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Fixed it for you. ;)

13. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Surprisingly no. But he has been fired a lot. And he's always the victim.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Most people who are non-bikers have no idea having a helmet on is that involved. I've worn a helmet a few times (track days and that) and it's no more tricky than wearing a slightly tight hat. So for most people not taking off something so simple is "odd"...a bit suspicious I think. Especially in a nominally non-biker place like a supermarket or shop.
    And...like it or not someone in full leathers with their face obscured (and most helmets obscure the face to some degree) is a bit intimidating. Not immediately criminal per se but you're essentially wearing a suit of armour.

15. Mitch

And we all know that ill-informed judgements based on prejudice and (legally required) appearance are the best basis for creating ineffective rules that inconvenience only the innocent :)

Is there a rule that hoods must be down on hoodies, or hats, caps and sunglasses removed?

Mitch

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm pretty sure they make people feel uncomfortable too. Especially in retail situations. I run a stall occasionally and hate talking to people in sunglasses.
    We've all seen those scrotes in hoods and burberry scarves over their faces. I bet if they could shop keepers would like those removed too.
    And the things you've mentioned are much less activity specific than a bike helmet.

17. Mitch

Just noticed the guy was buying silver King skins.

Crim :D

Mitch

18. Mitch

You don't have an inalienable right not to be discomforted by the clothing of others :)

19. Mitch

In fact there's the answer; the very next time someone complains about my helmet I'm going back the next day in my briefest of mankinis and really letting them see a helmet to discomfort them :D

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've been asked many times (although more when I was younger) to remove my hood and/or hat when in a local shop or supermarket.