UK law and kobutan

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Stan O'Kella, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

2. SteveBioletti

SteveBioletti Valued Member

If you want to carry something like a palm stick (yawara bo, Kubotan) lawfully in the UK why not just purchase a mini-maglite? Aircraft grade aluminium, strong, small, discreet, fits into your pocket, keys can be hung on the end and its a torch!

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

The only problem with that Steve, is that the people who would follow your advice would negate it by boasting in public (on here) about carrying a torch as a weapon, thus rendering it legally useless.

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

You cannot carry ANYTHING with the intention of using it for self defence. It's as simple as that.

The Bear.

5. ScottUK

Self-defence weapons threads are a joke and should be nudged in the appropriate direction.

How about passive weapons? Is it illegal to defend yourself using a gladiator net?

(assuming, of course, that the attacker came out uninjured despite being assailed with a weapon?)

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Does that go for my disarming smile and witty personality too?

I've only just got them and they are still under the 30 day money back guarantee.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

8. ScottUK

...and their mothers slapped.

9. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Oooooooooooo .... rough crowd! :)

10. newphase

newphase New Member

I am sorry to resurrect an old thread, but, it seems that MANY UK people are confusing Lawful with Legal. Do some research and find that carrying a kubotan keyring is not unlawful.
    One simply states that it is a keyring. One does not agree or admit that it is carried in self-defence (unless, of course, one is totally confident in ones ability to fight the corporation of the UK - PLC).
    If a Copper asks what you have it for - simply ask, "Has an offence been committed, Officer?". If the answer is, "No.", then just walk on by.
    As we all know, no Martial Artist would commit an act of violence or aggression.

UK people posting here are confusing ACTS with LAW.

ACTS are merely govt policy - they are NOT law.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Thanks for adding nothing that has not been stated

Aside from anything else you are wrong

"An Act of Parliament creates a new law or changes an existing law. An Act is a Bill approved by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords and formally agreed to by the reigning monarch (known as Royal Assent). Once implemented, an Act is law and applies to the UK as a whole or to specific areas of the country".

Even if you were making a semantic distinction, the practical distinction is nil. You can get arrested and charged and convicted under acts and if your only defense is "this is not a law" you will be convicted in short order

You are not a lawyer - stop handing out advice like you are

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  12. newphase

newphase New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome -second year Law Student but thanks for informing me of my non(yet) qualification. Currently studying all aspects of Common Law as per: Jowitt's, 3rd edition.

I'll be off then

13. ScottUK

Welcome dude, tell us about your martial qualifications instead of your legal non-qualifications?

14. newphase

newphase New Member

Not sure that this is the correct place but meh I'll give it a go:

Yang Family Style Tai Chi Chuan (Martial) 8 years (outdoor, close to indoor)

Cheng Man Ching (learning style) 10 years (indoor moving to closed door in about 3 years into a family style)

Chih Ho Family Fist (Yang style TCC adapted(not Cheng Man Ching)) 6 years (outdoor moving to indoor in 3 years... see above :p )

Wudang TCC (Old Frame) 3 years (outdoor)

Bagua Zhang (Gao YiSheng) 1 year (outdoor)

Yip Man (family descendant style) 6 months (outdoor)

Báishān zhāngkāi de shǒu (White Mountain Open Hand) Family style - 2 years (outdoor - moving to indoor in about 3 years)

Yang lóng fēixíng jiātíng de quántou 14 years (Closed door Wrestling (Grappling and Dim Mak, Grip/Wrestle/Pressure) - 6 months ago_ family style)

So I am a bit of a noob :) I know that... Always learning as there is no end to learning.

I was not trying to start a flame-war or such with my initial comment, just peacefully throwing a spanner :) Did not expect such an offensive and verbally violent answer :)

Peace.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  15. newphase

newphase New Member

You are not a citizen of the UK - stop handing out advice like you are/ ;)

Peace

16. Hannibal

Bzzzt! Wrong answer

Want to try for three?

17. Hannibal

Verbally violent? Wow - clearly VERY new

18. newphase

newphase New Member

Why are you so nasty and/or angry?

You have a problem with me

(Statement not question)

What have I done to offend your overly sensitive sensibilities?

Given your snide, aggressive posting nature thus far (towards me, at least) I cannot imagine how you progress in your life - let alone your chosen art(s).

What on Earth makes your invective rise up so high towards someone whom you have never seen, met, talked to or even "virtually£ encountered before?

Why so defensive with your "Bzzt Wrong again want to try for three?" ?

What does that even mean?

19. Hannibal

1) it's the Internet - get some perspective

2) you were wrong in the statement you made about me - I wanted to know if you wanted to go for three in a row being wrong...it's a form of lighthearted ribbing that occasionally happens online

3) you have not seen me angry or annoyed - how you can reach such conclusions over the net in the absence of qualifying statements/insults is something of a mystery

I don't know you, don't care about you and I certainly do not bear you ill will. I called you on a factual error in a long dead thread - one that could happily have stayed dead because you literally added nothing to it that had not been clearly covered before

If you are offended by people disagreeing with you in slightly brusk terms the law is certainly going to cause you down sleepless nights

An md as an aside progress in my art(s) by training hard. A healthy dose of aggression is a boon not a detriment

20. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Going back to newphase's original post

You're right, I'm not clear on any difference between the two, either semantic or practical.

Surely if you're carrying it with the intent to use it in self-defence then an offence has been committed?

Mike