Uhm I'm at a dilema

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GoldShifter, Apr 27, 2013.

1. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

So ... backstory time!

I went to the doc's office on Thursday and she said, (From what I told her, this was here hypothesis), She thinks that I'm on the road to Pneumonia, but not completely there yet, she didn't want to risk putting me, 16 years old, under and x-ray and just finding nothing there, and having a whole lot of radiation in me. She put me on antibiotics for 5 days. Also in addition to that, I have a throat and ear infection that just happened also.

Antibiotic Name: Azithromycin Tablet USP 250 mg

Okay timeskip to today

Well about 15 minutes ago, I was coughing, (I'm not fully better so nothing out of the ordinary yet), and I coughed up phlegm. What I'm wondering about is that ... WHY IN THE HELL WAS IT DARK BLOOD? It wasn't with little hints of blood, it just looked like full on blood.

Now my question.

Should I give the doc's office a call, or wait out the antibiotics to finish, since she just prescribed them a three days ago? I don't want to wait to long if I have something that the antibiotics won't be able to fix. I'm assuming that since she assigned me some antibiotics for the pneumonia I will be getting, I should be fine. But the given the fact that there was just way too much blood in that phlegm is concerning.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Get to the doctor.

Anything with blood where there shouldn't be blood should be looked into.

It's better to bother the doc with a false alarm than wait and actually make things worse.

Don't wait for further replies.

Make the call, then post if you must.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think you should ask a group of completely unqualified people for help (go to the doctor).

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Call your Doctor, right now.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A quick check shows that phlegm does develop as the disease develops, but that should be clear or white.

Your next course of action seems rather obvious.

6. GoldShifter

Okay, I talked to my doctor, she said the antibiotics are to help combat that. And she also said that blood is mainly getting picked up at my tonsil/throat area (which is infected) and from me blowing me nose way too much. I shouldn't worry bout it much. Or atleast she said. I coughed up some phlegm again, it was alot less blood and it was alright, just a few hints of blood. I guess that it was just some blood that accumulated overnight as I slept.

7. GoldShifter

Thanks for all the answers guys! And your concerns!

8. holyheadjch

I'm glad to hear it's probably nothing serious.

A good rule of thumb - blood coming out of places it doesn't normally come out of = bad.

9. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

I'm a doctor. I'm not your doctor, but I am a doctor.

Coughing up blood like that is a good reason to go to the doctor.

Azythromycin is pretty potent stuff, but like most antibiotics it isn't guaranteed. That's why there are so many different types of antibiotics. None of them can kill everything.

I will echo the suggestions given by others - and you did the right thing by going back to your doctor. Don't mess around with your lungs. They don't grow back and they can't be replaced or supplemented easily.

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Unless it is from the enemy :yeleyes:

11. holyheadjch

My enemies are always bleeding, so it's nothing to remark on :yeleyes: