UFC72 *Results*

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Sever, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Rich Franklin def. Yushin Okami by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28), 3 Rounds

Forrest Griffin def. Hector Ramirez by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27), 3 Rounds

Jason MacDonald def. Rory Singer by TKO (due to strikes) at 3:18, R2

Tyson Griffin def. Clay Guida by Split Decision (29-28, 29-28 Griffin; 29-28 Guida), 3 Rounds

Ed Herman def. Scott Smith by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 2:25, R2

Marcus Davis def. Jason Tan by TKO (due to strikes) at 1:15, R1

Eddie Sanchez def. Colin Robinson by TKO (due to strikes) at 0:32, R2

Dustin Hazelett def. Steve Lynch by Submission (Anaconda Choke) at 2:50, R1

The Griffin/ Guida fight was really good and definitely could've gone either way in the decision. The Forrest Griffin/ Hector Ramirez fight was a pretty big borefest (jab, cross, low kick, repeat) for the most part. Griffin had a few chances to finish and just backed away after landing a few shots. He seemed a little gunshy after the Jardine KO. Franklin/ Okami was disappointing for the first two rounds too. Okami did nothing for the first couple of rounds and Franklin only threw jabs or short combos, neither really engaged. In the third, Okami took Franklin down, took the mount and nearly finished him with various submissions (a guillotine, a kimura and he almost had an omoplata there too) but Franklin defended well. If Okami had turned it on in round two instead of three, he'd have won the decision, but he didn't. Franklin now gets the winner of Silva/ Marquardt for the title
    All in all, the event was better than I was expecting it to be, purely due to Griffin/ Guida which is undoubtedly a fight of the year candidate, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]
    The first two rounds were pretty slow and the last round was good - that near submission that Okami had looked nasty!!! Overall though, between this fight and his last one, I don't think Franklin is looking as sharp as he should be before going into the meatgrinder of Anderson Silva... my money's on the Champ! :)

I like MacDonald... his string of fights in the UFC have been good and I was happy to see him beat Singer.

WOW! This was the match of the night and I have to admit that I was pretty biased at first... I didn't remember seeing these two before and had no real expectations, but like the commentator said, this would be amatch I would show people to describe "MMA"... it had it all (although I would have given the match to Guida instead).

I paid for it and was a bit disappointed. The matches were really no better than any of the freeTV stuff (like Ultimate Fight Night) and no title matches at all. I'd almost like at least 1 title match per PPV. Regardless, I was hoping that despite a bit of a lackluster card that it would be much better than it was. Overall, it was "Okay" but I'll be abit pickier about the card next time (although "Stacked" looks great!!! and 2 title matches!!! ).[/EXPAND]

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Don't worry about the spoiler tags on this one, it's aired everywhere it's going to :)

4. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I passed on this card in favor of Stacked and I am pretty happy with that decision..

Sounds like Okami needs to be less cautious and it also sounds like Franklin is going to have some real trouble if he has to fight Marquardt(look what he did to Lister).

I am going to try and find the Guida/Griffen fight so I can take a side in who got robbed and who did not

Does anyone think that any of the guys in the TUF 5 shows can compete with Griffen, Guida, Edgar etc...? From what I have seen they are just at another level that no one on that show could match.

5. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Griffin vs Guida was a great fight.

6. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Griffin/ Guida fight was very good a bit like a Chess match. Trying to get Griffin down onto the Mat was very difficult for Guida. I felt that Guida won the match, not by a lot he was slight better in the third round for me.

I liked the Hector/Forest fight, Forest is trying a different style so give him time imo and he could do very well with this style. Forest also showed that the roundhouse to the leg is an underused technique and is very good when used right.

Franklin/Okami was not the greatest but I still think Rich would have won even if Okami came out a little stronger in the second round as he was being very cautious with the takedowns. I do feel that Rich showed some good skills on the ground as Okami got some good positions and Rich was always able to get out even though I thought he was a gonna tap a couple of times. I hope Anderson Silva wins as I want to see Rich destroy Anderson silva as I still think he can.

7. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Another vote for Guida here, although it was a great fight. One thing to note was that when the final bell went Griffin was looking very disappointed.

It's hard to say about the TUF fighters, there is some talent in there.

8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

I liked MacDonald UP UNTIL this event. Note I'm a little biased because Rory is my coach, but that's not what made me stop liking MacDonald. Hats off to him for taking advantage of a mistake and winning. However, Rory clearly dominated him in the first round from a standing position, and when he was on bottom MacDonald couldn't do anything. In fact the submissions expert almost got triangled himself, but was saved by the bell. Then, he capitalized on a mistake, took mount and won in the 2nd.

However, in his post fight interview he states it's BS that rory had better stand up and that he stood just fine with him. If you watch that fight, he couldn't do anything in the way of striking, and was constantly trying to take it down to the ground. If you win at least be classy about it and admit where you had problems. He showed no respect at all for an opponent that damn near beat him in the first round.

9. Thomas

Good points - I must be getting jaded because I am starting to ignore the overall lack of respect that many of the fighters show nowadays.

I think some are pretty good. I like the idea of using a TV show to build some guys up, get their names well known and then either throw them to the wolves or build some successful fighters. Either way the UFC wins. Personally I wish that instead of an hur long reality show that they would have a hour long show with 3-4 matches on it and use that to build guys up (sort of like pro-wrestling does to build up PPVs). I am liking WREKAGE (or whatever it is)... looks like a UFC feeder program.

Pay Per Views should have stronger cards than "Ultimate Fight Nights" and should have title matches in my opinion.

10. Wolf

Wreckage is like UFC Unleased only for the WEC. Zuffa owns the WEC and SAYS it's not a feeder program. I think it really is a minor leagues for 170lbs and up. However, the big thing with the WEC is it's showcasing of the lighter classes. They have great lightweight, featherweight, and bantamweight fights (155, 145, 135 respectively).

11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Actually it seems like they are not using it as a feeder program which is ludicrous...

Paulo Filho has signed(or is in the process of) with WEC which is stupid...why should he be in the WEC while much less talented fighters are in the UFC?

In my opinion Dana is making a big mistake in trying to have the WEC and the UFC as "main organizations"...

12. Wolf

If I had to guess...I'd say it's because WEC events are free to the public on cable. This way, guys like that that don't have a name can be shown on free TV to get a reputation. Then he can put them on main cards for UFC PPV's so people will pay to watch.

edit: i mean don't have a name to the general public

13. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Yeah, but Paulo Filho? There's no way he isn't top 5 in the world for 185.

14. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Other notable fighters being Razor Rob, Brock Larson, Mayhem Miller etc...

Make it a feeder league and send some of these guys to the bigs, then send some of the UFC fighters down...

It's like a major league baseball team keeping some of their studs in the minors so that the minor league team can "compete" with them...

15. Thomas

I agree... and it'd make it more competitive.

Granted, I think one of the guys who fought had the "only" victory over that awesome young guy there (Tyson Griffin defeated Urijah Faber 9/10/05 http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=8847)
    So, it would seem that some cross pollination is going on in a good way...UF mentioned this on the UFC 72, hopefully generating interest for both fighters!