UFC Reality TV

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Jan 9, 2005.

1. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

holy crap. did he just walk away with 6 seconds left in the fight or was I not seeing things???

I wonder if he was hurt or something.. damn i hope so b/c that was a disgrace.

2. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Game plan? If he had one I missed it.

If there was one, then I would describe it as do not throw any punches but instead try to wrestle the wrestler and when that does not work give up. Oh, and throw a couple of kicks to the armpit to throw him off in the meantime to mask the fact that he gave up about 1 minute into the first round.

I hate to make armchair comments, but that was just ludicrous. He was right...he is just a little bit better in everything, including giving up. All talk and no walk I guess.

3. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Well...that was a boring fight. Mike fought horribly, if you can even call what he did fighting. More like sitting back, and being a moving punching bag for Rashad.

4. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

holy crap, i didnt even know that guy was a fighter and I have watched almost every episode... i thought he was like a coach or something....

5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Well...that was a boring fight. Mike fought horribly, if you can even call what he did fighting. More like sitting back, and being a moving punching bag for Rashad. Like Matt said, I would rather see someone go out 100% and get knocked out, then not try. Its something that little-league kids learn in sports, coaches always told me to go 100%, even if your not sure what your doing. Anyone else think Mike is going to have a tough time getting back into Miletich? I dont think he was even injured, or he would have told Hughes, or at least he wouldnt have looked so disgusted with himself.

6. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

you know i kinda like rashad....sure he does not light the world on fire....but he does just enough to win. doesnt take to many chances. and matt hates him so im pulling for him.

mike...well so long to another teachers pet.....fighting aint the same thing as conditioning....so go back to running the treadmill and talking about heart.

some got it some dont...and he dont.

7. jaymdubbs

jaymdubbs Valued Member

yea

yea i honestly thought that was a disgrace. his wrestling sucked, his stand up sucked, he just all-around sucked. i realize im armchairing it, but still, im out there 7 days a week busting my ass only to watch this guy not even try? what gives man, its the shot of a life time and he was just gonna throw it away.

i absolutely love matt hughes work ethic, i would do ANYTHING to train militech under him. some people dont like his attitude but i think you gotta be mentally tough and always think of yourself as superior to get anywhere.

8. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Valued Member

I was initially cheering for Mike, but as Rashad took it to him and Hughes about went ballistic I had to start cheering for Rashad. I wish they would have just had a small camera shot of Matt through the fight as he was cracking me up with how desperate he sounded and his little wise cracks like 'good, just lean against the fence you only have two minutes left.' I loved how he almost lost it between the 2nd and 3rd rounds and about decked Mike.

What a let down Mike was...not a bit of spirit in him at all.

Rashad did impress me a lot more than his first fight, so kudos to him.

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

In my mind it just goes to show - nobody knows what will happen once the bell sounds.

10. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Ya, I laughed when Hughes smacked the water bottle off the fence and slapped the vaseline onto his face. Rashad was really showing a lot more skill in this fight.

From the preview to the next episode, looks like Mike Whithead is gonna retire as it shows him sitting on the floor of the changing room, crying, saying "I'm not a fighter!!!" :cry: . But who knows, those things are always misleading.

11. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

i like how everyone thought that mike w. was gonna roll over rashaad, then he got his ass handed to him. i also enjoy that matt hughes is ****ed off.

12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I didn't watch the fight until last night (busy week!). I personally loved the fight and liked the buildup... the "dancer/slacker" vs the strongest/best striker/best wrestler/most heart/best runner/leader/etc. I had a thought that Rashad might be a handful for Mike because of his last fight... I thought he'd be fired up and confident. I really loved how Rashad used good tactics to dominate and control him. Mike didn't know which way was up by the end. Great use of the brain by Rashad.

And the end told it all. Mike walking off with time left... beaten. Great fight!

Oh, it also convinced me that I would rather have Franklin than Hughes for a coach. It tells more about a person how they deal with their students losing than winning. Franklin has taken the losses with class and support...

13. MrHnau

MrHnau New Member

that long?

It took you this long to realize that? LOL Hughes has some issues... I'd not want to fight him, but I'd not want to fight for him either. I think he is applying the way he trains to his guys and is disappointed if they don't come out as good as he does. Everyone has their unique gifts and set of skills. You can't train everyone the same and expect them to all react the same.

MrH

14. hux

hux ya, whatever.

yea. I wonder if maybe the producers wanted it to look this way? Or is he really this bad?

15. special43543

special43543 Special Member

well, Mike was more than just a student to hughes. I don't get what is wrong with hughes' training methods. All hughes is saying is get in there and fight like you have been talking about. Mike was always talking about the will to do fight and that he will give it his all, but yet he walks away in the last 10 seconds of the fight? I totally understand Matt's frustration with Mike and Matt throwing the water bottle is him showing how mad he is and that Mike needs to get in there and start fighting, because that is what he is there for.

The first "fight" of the season is where the guy couldn't cut weight, and Franlin got ****ed at that. It's the same thing...when they don't try it makes you mad because here you have spent all this time and energy and they don't even want to fight anymore. I personally love Matt's coaching style and would hate to be sun bathing with Franklin when I could be training for fights.

16. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

As for having Hughes or Franklin as a coach, I think it comes down to personal preference. My impression of Franklin is that he's a bit more relaxed and lets the students push themselves. He gets mad when they don't (like the cutting weight) but he doesn't throw a fit like Hughes. On the othger hand, I see Hughes as being a gung-ho type that wants to train long and hard, with extra training, yelling, and screaming as a punishment.

To me it reminds me of when I was in the Army. The Basic Training Drill Sgts acted like Hughes and yelled and screamed and made people do what they said. At Airborne school, the instructors led by example, hard work, and a attitude that if you don't want to be here, quit. I reponded much better to the second approach and think personally I would respond beter to Franklin. That's just me though.

Granted, if I could train with either of them, I would jump at the chance!

17. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I would take either as well, I dont see Matt as getting disappointed if his fighter gave it his all, and was just outfought. But it seems he gets mad when they do something stupid, or just dont try, which also upset me. I am willing to bet that if Franklin was in Hughes place, with Jorge not trying, he would be ****ed as well.

18. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Anyone else getting turned off by all the plugs for Xience and Right Guard? Its just getting ridiculous, I dont mind some advertising, but theyre going over the top.

19. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

First off I'd like to say...WOW! Great fight by both fighters and Luke is my hero :D Now I have a question. There are still 3 fights that need to happen, Joe and Jason, Keith and Rashaad, and Seth and Brad. However there's only one more monday before the live finals on November 5th. The next episode is supposed to be Keith and Rashaad. So when are they televising the other two fights?

20. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

OMFG. Fight tonight, Luke vs. Josh? (I think. . . ).

Anyways, I rooted for Luke.

Not saying who won, all you cable guys don't get it until 11:00 pm.

But I will say this much:

KNOCKOUT (with what?)