UFC Reality TV

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Mushroom, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

That fight with Loiza was excellent, insanely good elbows!! Made me wish I had half his skill with elbow strikes.

As to the fight between Dan and Seth, I was a little dissapointed in them/it, they were both too hesitant and defensive. Seth seemed to have the skill to outstrike Dan, but he never seemed to really attack all out. As far as the coaches go, I think Matt is the samrter coach, but I have started to dislike him(although that could very well be the way the show was put together.)

2. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

yes i do

3. Project

Project New Member

Ok i was being sarcastic... I train NHB so i know how tough it is. Even though i might not be that great at it I still go to get my ass kicked everytime. I was making that remark about the black guy (forgot his name) how he had nice elbows and thats all he did the fight. So calm down yall.... i dont know why i said that about the first fight; that guy kinda got lucky in my opinion. No I dont cage fight i just train for it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Well that certianly didn't sound sarcastic. and if you train MMA, and have any knowladge of it what so ever, i wouldn't expect you to make a comment like that. It just sounds very ignorant, and screams to be given flack.

5. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

I personally enjoyed the elbows thrown by the Afro American combatant. I bet all the kravists watching it were thrilled. It shows an elbow does a lot more damage than a simple puch. I would love to see more good standup action like the end of that fight. So many strikers rely on simple western boxing...its good to see some good old fashioned MA.

6. Utotin

Utotin Valued Member

As far as the show goes, I've gotta say that last night's show resulted in me switching which team I was rooting for. The way Matt treated Jason was crap, and I really thought it was cool the way Green team took him in.

Also Seth was great. I loved the "unorthodox" traditional MA kicks he was throwing to good effect- hook kicks and jump spinning hook kicks! I loved it!

7. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

1. David Louiseau is Canadian

2. MMA IS good old fashioned MA.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  8. MrHnau

MrHnau New Member

fights enjoyed!

I enjoyed the fights quite alot! I thought he Leiban fight was impressive. Nice to see he is fairly well rounded. Hate to say it, but was kind of glad to see koshek (sp) beat. He is a decent fighter, but not all that exiciting, at least IMHO.

The "ultimate knockouts" special was very cool. I forget their names, but there was a black guy wearing a gi that totally destroyed some poor guy with vicious elbows. The poor guy could not even move to defend himself! Does anyone know the name of the technique he used on him? I've not seen it before. Looked like some kind of cruciform or something. Was very cool! Felt sorry for the victim though, he looked so helpless! I imagine positioning like that does not occur too often in MMA! I was impressed!

MrH

9. Project

Project New Member

Well i do have a little bit of knoledge and i know what i am decent at... way better at ground and then standing. I dont know everything and i was just letting you all know that i was just BSing; I train it as a self defence like 6-7 hours a week; not hardcore like for people going amature or pro. anways just letting you know.

10. Jester

Jester I elbow, therefore I am.

Just to throw it out there. Saw Mike Swick (think thats how it is spelled) walking around midtown today during lunch. Didn't get a chance to speak to him as he was rushing down 5th ave in a hurry. Heh he's smaller than I thought he'd be :D

11. TKDragon

TKDragon Valued Member

Although I have only seen about 1/2 to 1/3 of all the Ultimate Fighter episodes, this fight had to be the one I saw with the most stand up kick and punch action. The kicks had good power and they rocked each other a couple of times, but all in all the fight could have been alot better. Both fighters seemed too hesitant about getting in the "contact" zone. When they did it was a quick punch or kick and right back out. I know Dan was a good maybe foot taller than Seth and outweighed him by a good 40 pounds, but if Seth could have gotten in there with a couple of decent combos - man Dan would have been seeing stars on the mat. As the smaller guy, Seth had some success getting in thru Dan's reach and although Dan got in some good hits, Seth showed alot more skill. Lots of good kicks that, if timed better, would have made all the difference. Not the best, but a good match by a couple of amateur fighters.

I have all the respect in the world for grapplers and ground fighters, but I love toe to toe - stand-up - kickin' and punchin' matches. The academy I go to teaches TKD and Hapkido. Although I see the advantages to alot of what they do, I just love the stand -up action. The groungd fighting just reminds me too much of wrestling with the odd punch thrown in - but a good arn bar or choke out is good. Hope I didn't insult any of you guys or gals that do them- that was not my intent.

12. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I agree, i always love a good stand up brawl. If you don't understand the technicality of grappling, it will bore you, but if you do, its just as exciting, atleast it is for me anyway. I think Seth did a good job considering how BIG Dan is.

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

ok, i understand that you where BSing, it just didn't sound like it at the time. but i mean how was that intended to be funny? it wasn't a joke, it didn't have a smiley. what was the joke? honestly.

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Finally saw "Fight Night" - Spoilers Ahead!

I really enjoyed the show (especially since I taped it and could fast forward through the commercials). I have to say that I love seeing live fights on cable and love how Spike and the UFC are building everything up. The "Ultimate Fighter" guys from the show are my favorites because I "know them" (from watching them) and find myself even rooting for Koscheck and Leben!!!!

- The Koscheck fight was a bit boring and I dozed off a few times. I'm hoping he improves his finishing a bit more. The final piece though was awesome and I loved the knee and the submission (even though I was rooting for Koscheck)... it had me standing up at the end!!!!!

- The two big guys were a surprise and I liked the match. The KO was nasty (another knee) and I was surprised to see yet another BJJ blackbelt bite the dust to a non black belt. (Between him and Jorge, it's starting to poke holes in the BJJ black belt mystique... are they McDojo-izing? :D )

- I liked the Leben fight and loved his submission. I might not like Leben but I sure would pay to see him fight! :D

-The final match with David Louiseau and Tanner was awesome. That David Louiseau is something else and I really want to see more of him (the highlights were cool). I was a bit surprised to see Tanner taken out so quick, but sure can see why.

Great night and great fights. All the fighters showed a lot of respect as well. Keep it up!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I agree with what Thomas said pretty much on all counts. You certainly like to see the guys you have come to know on the TUF Show.

The main match was exciting. Louiseau is somebody who knows how to throw elbows really hard. I respected that immensely....

16. hux

hux ya, whatever.

what a beautiful spinning hook kick that was. I would say that looked suspiciously like a TKD kick but prolly nobody would believe me. So it must have been a Muay Thai spinning hook kick.

:D

17. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Can any of the welter weights beat Luke????
    I think my early prediction may actually come true.
    Luke wins the contract!

18. hux

hux ya, whatever.

is it just me or did dang near everybody eliminated last year get into UFC anyway?

Luke - great inside work from that guy, I loved them uppercuts :) I agree with Dana, that was Luke's fight from round 1.

19. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I realy enjoyed the fight and am still picking Luke to win... even if he loses, I bet we'll see him the UFC. I love his attitude and willingness to "throw down".... nice escapes on the ground as well.

If he does win, I'll be we'll see all sorts of MMA supporters switching over to "ki-driven" programs... maybe I'll start setting up our school to cater to them. :D

20. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I think Luke is a fine example of a fighter who wins the mental game. He is sure to be beaten like everyone else is sure to meet their match, but he demonstrates the calmness of a fighter who can keep his focus and work "his fight".
    I liked his comment to the camera. Parapharsing: " Maybe I'm a geek, but geeks rule the world".