Ufc 84

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, May 2, 2008.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

UFC 84 – 5/24

My picks:
    -B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk
    -Keith Jardine vs. Wanderlei Silva
    -Wilson Gouveia vs. Goran Reljic
    -Lyoto Machida vs. Tito Ortiz
    -Thiago Silva vs. Antonio Mendes
    -Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry
    -Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura
    -Terry Etim vs. Rich Clementi
    -Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Jon Koppenhaver
    -Dong-hyun Kim vs. Jason Tan
    -Shane Carwin vs. Christian Wellisch

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I agree with you except I think Sokoudjou is going to beat Nakamura, quite possibly by KO.

I'm also not entirely sure about Wandy winning, I REALLY hope he does but Jardine is a tough striker with some extremely good footwork. Wandys goin to have to be extremely aggressive to take this one, just hope he is!

3. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I'm pulling for Wandy. And I think the general consensus is that Penn's got the tallent to take out Sherk, but if he doesn't do it in the first few rounds, Sherks conditioning will earn him the UD.

Outside of that I'm really looking forward to the Machida-Ortiz bout. Ortiz has said he's leaving the UFC, so this is potentially his last fight there for a while. And I don't think Machida's ever faced a strong wrestler like Ortiz, which the UFC is littered with. If he can get past him, I think it'll be a good indication on how well he'll do in the upper echelon of the UFC's LWH.

It's a really stacked card. Seems like they alternate supercards with cards where the main event is the only fight worth watching. Puzzling...

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I agree with that, I'm fairly new to MMA but dont sherk and penn have a grudge match thing going on?

5. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Yeah, same here. I'd be surprised if Nakamura beat Sokoudjou.

6. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

I agree. I think Sokoudjou could beat Nakamura if he doesn't go to the ground. That seems to be Soko's weakness.

I am really pulling for Wandy to win. He needs to be the Wandy we saw beat Rampage in order to beat Jardine...

7. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

wandy will smash jardine dont worry...

8. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Can't wait to get there and see it live :D

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Man that's quite a card. This should be a pretty good series of bouts. :)

10. Mehrad

Mehrad Valued Member

Looking forward to Machida and Ortiz, Machida is one heck of a machine.

Also looking out for Sean and Penn, both having a good record, im probebly betting Sherk as IMO Penn's conditioning is terrible, he looks nothing like a lightweight!

11. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I don't know those are all excellent fights. I don't think that conditioning in BJ Penns case is that bad and he has never been that cut looking. He is a technical fighter, not a meat head.

I still can not pick the fighter in this one I like all of them.

12. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I don't know...

In the past Penn's conditioning has been questioned/suspect. Although when he beat Hughes the first time around, he was in great shape and as you can see here in his fight with Stevenson, he looked to be in even better condition as a lightweight.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sDSpMs5Vyo"]YouTube[/ame]

13. Mehrad

Mehrad Valued Member

Ok you have a fair point! Man, that was one heck of a fight, Stevenson just kept on bleeding!

Your right conditioning isnt always about how great you look, I mean look at Muhammad Ali, he was one of the greatest and a very fit great at that, but he didnt exactly have a thick set of abs and huge veiny biceps did he? :p

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

That first elbow is text book sweetness. Seriously... he understands that he doesn't need to KO the guy with the elbow... but rather use it like a box cutter to open up a nice clean wound that he can continue to work. That'd have been ruled a TKO under Muay Thai rules easy. All that blood streaming into your eyes makes it a nightmare to stand and trade. From the mount you couldn't ask for better control of an elbow meant to cut. Superb.

15. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Picture perfect elbow

Slip,

I agree with you. That elbow was intentionally done to do exactly what he wanted to do as you pointed out. Not just blowing smoke up your butt. Great insight on the use of the elbow.
    I am hoping Machido beats Tito. Machido comes from Shotokan so if he beats Tito, I think he will be making a statement that he deserves to be in the UFC. As callsignfuzzy said "...it'll be a good indication on how well he'll do in the upper echelon of the UFC's LWH."

Thanks,
    Tom

16. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

i can already see Machida in the upper echelon of LHW. his style is just so fail-safe. Tito will be the biggest test in terms of takedowns he's ever seen, but I think he'll beat Tito. i can see Lyoto as the champ about a year from now. only problems is, he's somewhat of a LHW version of Tim Sylvia...

17. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

That was a damn good card. Seriously.

First off, the Axe Murderer is back! Silva "Wanderlized" Jardine in about 35 seconds. Wow.

I liked the Machida-Tito fight. I thought Tito was going to score a takedown at least once during the match and Machida was going to have to work his guard a bit. Uh-uh. Tito could barely land a shot on Machida, who used is kicks a LOT. He took Tito down at the end of R1 and quickly got him in the crucifix possition for a little GNP before the bell. The longer the fight went on, the more fustrated Ortiz got. Finally he turned it up a bit in the last round, even getting Machida in a plumb clinch. With about thirty seconds left to go, Tito caught a knee to the body as he was rushing in, and it dropped him. Machida pounced, but Ortiz showed off some of his guard skills, including locking in a triangle that Machida barely escaped with only a few seconds left in the round. Machida really impressed me with his takedown defense, something I really hadn't seen him display before.

Oh, and since Joe Rogan couldn't say "rocked" during that fight, he picked up a new favorite word: "elusive".

In the main event, we basically had a boxing match. Penn kept throwing out his jab, which due to his reach advantage kept him out of the range of Sherk's hooks most of the time. Man, Sherk's got some fast hands. He only attempted to take Penn down two or three times, I think, but Penn was able to defend. By the end of the third round Sherk had cuts under both eyes. The end came in the third round, just before the bell. Penn backed Sherk up with some grazing punches, then knocked him loopy with a knee when he was against the cage. He followed it up with some GNP, but the buzzer sounded before the ref called it. However, it was apparent that Sherk really wasn't in any condition to continue. BJ Penn's your winner.

Lots of good fights on the undercard, too, but I'll skip 'em. It's time for bed.

18. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

yeah ahm

what callsignfuzzy said

go wanderlei!

19. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Wanderlei good job, nice he sometimes fights like a dead fish. I will watch it.

20. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

One of the best collection of fights I have seen in a long time. Even the undercard fights were exciting. That Croation is pretty impressive!!
    I called all the fights but one, and regardless of that I am really happy with the outcome. Well worth it.