UFC 71- Liddell vs Rampage

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Apotheosis, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]
    Thiago Silva vs. James
    Irvin---They come out, Irvin blows his knee out defending a takedown. They didn't show it so I bet it was nasty

Khalib Starnes vs. Chis Leben---
    Round 1 Starnes had the better striking and took round one fairly easily, they clinched a few times but Starnes simply couldn't take him down until the end where he unleashed some vicious punches in the last 10 seconds to close out the round

Round 2 Starnes is picking Leben apart, lands a big punch and rocks Leben....he is doing good on his feet. Starnes needs to work on his cardio as he is gassing, Leben is as well which is good for Starnes.

Round 3 Leben comes out looking for the KO but Starnes does a great job avoiding the big punches. Leben landed a sick liver kick but Starnes pulled guard and Leben let him recover. Starnes swept him with a sick reversal and ended the fight from half guard having failed to mount much offense.

All 3 judges aware Starnes the victory and Leben's future with the UFC is now in jeapordy

3. Houston Alexander vs. Keith Jardine---Alexander is looking like a beast, Jardine lands two solid punches that stun Alexander for a few seconds. Alexander responds by pushing Jardine into the cage and unloading with some HUGE punches that knock Jardine out. Jardine was out a couple of times but recovered just in time for another huge punch to land sending him back out.

Alexander wins KO in 48 seconds, using some seriously nasty uppercuts and hooks...I'm pretty sure his first punch he landed hit Jardine up on the side of his head where most people wouldn't do much damage to him...Houston though has some insane power and it rocked Jardine.

Everyone without a doubt in the 205 lb division should be scared of this guys power.

4. Josh Burkman vs. Karo Parisyan----

Round 1-Both came out angry at one another, both swinging for the fences. Karo gets the better of Josh on his feet, lands a highlight reel judo throw and takes this round. He looks like his standup is much, much better.

Round 2- Karo is wearing Burkman out, looks like he has worked on his cardio after that loss to Diego. Karo consistently getting the better of the stand-up, Burkman is still throwing bombs but at a slower pace and Karo is picking him apart.

Round 3- Burkman knows he needs to finish Karo, comes out with everything he has but Karo is just to good for him on his feet. Burkman lands a good slam, Karo escapes and once on their feet Karo throws Burkman once more. Karo works for the kimura but gives it up so they can get back on their feet.

This fight was fast paced, Karo was just way to much for Burkman both grappling and striking.

Judges give Karo the unanimous decision

5. Terry Martin vs Ivan Salaverry---

Round 1- Martin is looking good at this weight, Salaverry lands some nice kicks. Martin takes him into the cage and tries for a slam but Ivan stays on his feet and is going for a Kimura. Martin isn't having that and slams/suplexes Ivan on his head following it up with hammerfists.

Martin wins by TKO in about 2 minutes, not sure if Ivan was out but he wasn't doing anything to defend himself so the stoppage was justified.

6. Din Thomas vs Jeremy Stephens----

Round 1 Din is looking good, gets a great takedown and takes Jeremy's back looking for the RNC. Stephens does a good job defending it and after 2 or 3 minutes he gets a reversal and threw some bombs from inside Din's guard.

Round 2- Jeremy has shaken the jitters, lands some nice punches but Din pulls guard. Din transitions to an armbar, awesome transition. Jeremy tries to slam out of it but Din cinches it in and Big John stops the fight. Jeremy claimed he didn't tap, which I think is true but as Din said (roughly) "I was about to break that arm and take it home with me".

Rough birthday present for the youngster turning 21 but it wasn't a bad showing.

7- Carmelo Marrero vs. Wilson Gouveia-

Round 1- Wilson comes out and lands some nasty lower leg kicks, the third brings Marrero to his knees and Wilson lands some nice punches eventually locking up a guillotine.

Gouveia wins via submission 3 minutes into round 1 and is looking like a potential contender

Chuck Liddell vs Quinton Jackson ---Rampage comes out looking intense, Chuck comes out looking relaxed.

First round- Rampage is stalking Chuck, Chuck is really moving around in this fight which has Rampage spreading his arms letting Chuck know this is a fight. Chuck comes in and goes for a body punch. Rampage is showing great defense and catches Chuck with a great right hook. Chuck is down and Rampage hits him with a nasty elbow and some sick punches forcing Big John to stop the fight.

The crowd is stunned, Chuck isn't sure what happened, Rampage and crew is exuberant

Rampage wins via KO 1:52 in round 1 as predicted(had to take some credit), He looks very impressive and I'm happy to see him finally get a belt.

Rampage tells the crowd that their breath stinks when they are booing, that he loves his fans, he is here to stay and would love to fight Chuck again.

The big announcement is Dan Henderson coming in to fight the champion, which is now Rampage. Rampage seems friendly, looks at Henderson's two belts and seems to want the Pride 205lb belt quite badly. Both exchange hugs, say they are friends, Rampage tries to get Dan to take his teeth out for the crowd but Dan refuses.

Looks like Chuck has to wait in line for a rematch, Henderson is getting it first.

Overall a great event, best I have seen from the UFC in a LONG time. It's going to take a lot to top this one.

[/EXPAND]

2. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I'd just like to say that I called all but one fight (Jardine/Alexander) correctly for this event. I rule.

3. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

This card had some good fights on it. I was very hesitant to watch at first, but it wasn't so bad.[EXPAND="Spoilers"] Poor Chuck...[/EXPAND]

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2007
  4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]BAM! Love it when I'm right :D Great fight by Rampage, a much earlier finish than I was anticipating too
    Pretty good event from what I've seen so far[/EXPAND]
    Remember people - spoiler tags keep me happy :)

5. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

[EXPAND=]
    i was so happy to see this happen. i bet money on rampage :D . i should have bet more, i knew he was gonna win. all those toons thought chuck was gonna murder rampage didn't know what they were talking about. i was really surpised that he did it in the 1st round though. in only 1:53 seconds. probably his fastest finish ever no? in his interview he said he was planning to knock him out in the 3rd round. but he exceeded his own expectations ;) .
    chuck losing is a good thing, because it means we'll probably see chuck vs wanderlei, since they both have the exact same status as of now & will be able to formally go head to head in the pride vs ufc world series. rampage will be fighting hendo in that event since they're both the champions, but it won't be a pride vs ufc fight :cool:
    [/EXPAND]

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Wow... just wow.

Some of the best punching in MMA ever in the bout between Chuck and Rampage.
    Big bombs... swinging for the rafters... combos... everything.
    Brutal ending. Absolutely freakin' brutal!!!:eek:

edit: oops sorry was referring to the Pride match where Liddel got absolutely blasted to bits.:p

But much of the same thing applied to the UFC 71 bout... only in a shorter time frame. :D

I'd swear that Rampage was taking lessons from Rodney King and his Crazy Monkey style of boxing. :p

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

He did train with King a few years back, I believe before the Pride LWGP 2003 that Chuck Liddell entered as he felt it'd be a good way to counter Wanderlei's (and also Liddell's) big loopy hooks. Watch the first fight with Liddell and the second Wanderlei Silva fight to see him make a much more extensive use of the technique[EXPAND="Spoilers"]
    Having just watched it yet again, I'm just struck by how beautiful Rampage's hook was - absolutely perfectly timed to counter Liddell's body shot, loads of power, bang on point. You can't say anything bad about that shot (unless you had money on Liddell, then obviously it's a lucky wild swing ;))[/EXPAND]

Last edited: May 27, 2007
  8. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

you're gonna love this...... :D
    [EXPAND=""][​IMG] [/EXPAND]

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

The crazy monkey boxing guy is named Rodney King? I never knew that. I wonder if he gets a lot of jokes about it...

10. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

ouch, lol. :eek:

11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoiler"]As far as Chuck vs Wandy goes, I'd rather Wandy took a year off as he announced. It could be the end of his career if he got knocked out 3 times in a row...especially considering how many concussions he must have racked up.

I'm not sure if Chuck can wait a year, he is old and getting older..his reflexes and quickness will start slowing down if they have not already done so.[/EXPAND]

12. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I am no longer making any predictions :mad: . I didn't call out all my predictions on this site but between me and my buddies I only got it right on the Karo Pariysian v. Josh Burkhman.

13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Not to his face he won't. He is one seriously bad dude :D

14. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Anyone think the Crazy Monkey style may contribute to Rampage's weakness to knees?

It seems to involve "crouching" over to prevent a smaller target with brings the head much close to knee level..

15. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Not at all. His "weakness" against knees came more from working with a team that generally had pretty poor Thai clinch games and his going against fighters for whom the Thai clinch was their bread and butter. Considering the team he's got behind him right now, I'd be confident that weakness is being worked quite extensively
    The idea behind Crazy Monkey isn't so much crouching and going to knee level as it is getting your arms up to defend the punches coming at you but being able to see the shots coming. It's also something most fighters that use it use exclusively at "long" punching range rather than "near" punching range which can cause openings for clinches. Although Rampage has been caught in clinches before, it's never been a catch from a Crazy Monkey defence, it's more been fighters like Wanderlei and Shogun rushing him and grabbing it

UFC71 has aired everywhere it's going to, feel free to kill the spoiler tags now

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah I wondered about that before... but to be honest... I don't think S.Africans are too up on what goes on in LA. :D

17. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Ufc71

I was fortunate enough to have seen the bouts on a big screen. Chuck never saw that looping right hand that Rampage caught him with. He could not focus his eyes when he was trying to get up. He was on 'queer street' and it was a good stoppage.

Thanks,
    Tom

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Crazy monkey is nothing new guys come on! muay thai has it(as do a few of other arts i would like to bet) protect side of your head,protect the bridge of nose and eyes,protect the chin,muay thai has all of these methods with single and double arms covering,and whats more muay thai has all the rest of the stuff that goes with it,great elbows and defences,knee and defences,kicks and defences etc etc,mr king has packaged and labeled well ill give him that!. sorry im off topic a bit,if anyones still reading i thought ufc 71 had some cracking fights,it had to happen to chuck eventually with his loose style of fighting,came out of close range with hands down,walked to side without clearing arm range first(as i remember)but he will be back :)

19. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i had a bet on a first round ground n pound stoppage, rampage winning.

I collected :D

20. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

SCORE! Way to go big man! I just watched the clip on youtube. Pwned!

So all the Champs have been dethroned this year right? :confused: