Ufc 68, 3/3/07

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Tom O'Brien, Feb 26, 2007.

1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

[EXPAND="spoilers"]randy threw a beat-down on tim period[/EXPAND]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
  2. gornex

gornex Valued Member

[EXPAND="spoilers"]i have a new idol, that was amazing[/EXPAND]

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

[EXPAND="spoilers"]Like the host of the fight party tonight yelled out......"Randy was conducting a clinic tonight" :D[/EXPAND]

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

[EXPAND="spoilers"]tim's eye was a pretty shade of "Ouch"[/EXPAND]

5. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

[EXPAND="spoilers"]Did that really surprise anyone? Randy's made me a richer man to the discontent of some of my friends. I knew he'd thrax sylvia, who simply isn't that good.[/EXPAND]

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

[EXPAND="spoilers"]
    I personally thought Tim was going to use this fight as a chance to show he can push a fight and KO someone. Apparently he truly isn't that good, and just relies on his freakish size and reach to eek out decisions.

Randy owned him on the feet, in the clinch, on the ground, no matter what was happening he was up on top forcing his will upon him. Freaking unbelievably awesome. I was standing and yelling I was so excited! And to think I didn't even want to watch this PPV. Figured it'd be a snorefest. Jeez.[/EXPAND]

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

So why no spoilers?

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]Wow, Randy really surprised me

I guess we all overestimated Sylvia and his opposition.

Now Randy is going to be dominated by Mirko when they fight, kind of sad as I don't want to see him get his head knocked off but that is what I see happneing.

The rest of the card

Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture- Shocked that Couture won, apparently sometimes miracles happen. He won't hold the belt long though, I see him getting dominated by Mirko.

Matt Hughes vs. Chris Lytle- Lytle showed he has some good defense but unfortunately he couldn't do much on the offensive side and got overpower by Hughes...He could have beat Serra if he swung more often...Perhaps he should consider dropping down to 155 as he is a pretty small guy at 170?

Rich Franklin vs. Jason MacDonald- As expected Franklin dominated, I won't be surprised if he beats Silva to regain the belt but I think Marquardt might get it first. Leben and Herman are just nowhere near the level of fighter Franklin is.

Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Jason Lambert- Babalu is seriously disappointing...I don't think he is a top 10 fighter now, he just got knocked out by a guy Rashad just dominated...Lambert is not an elite fighter and I am starting to think Babalu isn't either.

Martin Kampmann vs. Drew McFedries- Exciting fight, pretty crazy ending.

Preliminary Bouts:

Jon Fitch vs. Luigi Fioravanti- Fitch showed he is a true contender, I think eh could beat Hughes...in fact I think Hughes is no longer a top 5 fighter in the UFC at that weight.

Matt Hamill vs. Rex Holman- Borefest, Hammill is just not a good fighter. No way will he ever be a top 10 fighter. He is too old, not skilled enough and just seems to have a hard time picking up MMA compared to other guys. I think he is Ortiz' age, and I just don't think he is half the fighter that Rashad, Chuck, Tito, Jardine etc.. are.

Gleison Tibau vs. Jason Dent- Heh..kind of boring

Jamie Varner vs. Jason Gilliam - Very quick win...not sure if Varner is that good or if Gilliam is just that bad.

I wish I could have seen Couture win the belt once more, he is a legend for sure. Too bad Mirko is on the hunt...

[/EXPAND]

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

There are stickies about the spoiler tags, people :bang:
    [EXPAND="Spoilers"]
    I was really surprised by the Couture fight, but he got me a pretty nice payout from the bookie. This fight might even make the odds a bit nicer on the Crocop fight, but I still don't want to see it
    I was more shocked by the Babalu/ Lambert fight. What the hell happened with that?! The guy IS a genuinely great fighter but got absolutely wrecked by someone that was all set for him to beat (and he really should have done). Post-Liddell syndrome, maybe[/EXPAND]

9. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

[EXPAND="spoiler"]That's two main events in a row in which I've picked the underdog and he won. I don't think I'll be picking against CroCop any time soon though.

As for Babalu, I'm puzzled. Should he still be considered top 10?[/EXPAND]

10. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]So you bet on Couture? Pretty gutsy call, especially since you seemed to believe Sylvia would win(as did I).

If Couture can beat Mirko....it will be unreal.

Babalu's career is sinking right now, the UFC can probably understand a devastating loss to Liddell but not to Lambert...
    [/EXPAND]

11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

[EXPAND="Spoilers"]

Honestly..no I don't think he is a top 10 fighter at 205 anymore..

[/EXPAND]

12. Sever

Sever Valued Member

[/EXPAND]
    [EXPAND="spoilers"]I often put a tenner on big underdogs. They lose, no biggie, they win, I get paid. I had a tenner on Royce Gracie against Hughes too. It's just covering the bases
    Babalu really needs to take a bit of time out and reassess things. His standup's steadily declined since leaving Ruas VT for Gracie Barra, it might be time to switch his game up again. When his game's on, he's one of the most well-rounded and dangerous fighters in the world at 205; I think he can get to that status again after this loss, but he's got to change something after the way he lost to Lambert[/EXPAND]

13. stump

stump Supersub

Guess we can drop the spoiler tags now?

Some really good fights tonight - but the booing was was out of line. Booing Anderson Silva??? In MMA there's usually lots of respect shown - and while there was lots being shown in the Octagon, I think they rounded up all the village idiots in Ohio and bussed them to the venue...think I'll watch it future UFCs with the sound off. Shame really

14. Atharel

Atharel Errant

- : booing anderson silva (and sylvia)
    + : cheering when someone got side control or mount
    this was easily the most ground-savvy ufc crowd I've seen yet.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  15. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

The booing was definitely over the top. Rich Franklin is obviously quite the home town hero and the crowd took it out on Silva. He responded by being a total class act and calling Franklin a champion even though he doesn't have a belt. I couldn't help but like the guy.

There was a loud arguement in the row ahead of me on the whole booing issue. A plucky blonde woman chastised three idiots for not being respectful. I tried to keep in mind many in the crowd were more at home at a Ohio State football game than a UFC event.

16. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Spoilers Over

OK so here they are:
    Randy Couture Wins by Unanimous Decision at 5:00 in the 5th round .
    Matt Hughes Wins by Unanimous Decision at 5:00 in the 3rd round .
    Martin Kampmann Wins by Submission at 4:06 in the 1st round by triangle choke.
    Rich Franklin Wins by Stoppage (Corner) at 5:00 in the 2nd round by TKO.
    Jason Lambert Wins by Technical Knock Out at 3:36 in the 2nd round .
    Matt Hamill Wins by Technical Knock Out at 4:00 in the 1st round .
    Jon Fitch Wins by Submission at 3:05 in the 3rd round by rear naked choke.
    Jason Dent Wins by Unanimous Decision at 5:00 in the 3rd round .
    Jamie Varner Wins by Submission at 1:34 in the 1st round by tapout.
    Randy won every round. Lambert is a tough kid.
    Thanks,
    Sensei Tom

17. spirez

spirez Valued Member

The booing of Silva was out of order, he was so respectful in regard to Franklin. Just a shame the fool fans couldn't see that. Even when Franklin was entering the Octagon he was on his feet clapping, real sportsmanship right there.

Couldn not believe what i witnessed from Couture, absolutley amazing!

Wasn't impressed with Hughes, bored out his win in my opinion. I reckon Sanchez has got his number for that no.1 contender spot if he wins against Koscheck.

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Randy was awesum,i love him but he should retire before fighting cro crop imho :)

19. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

I was so glad Randy won and he is now a legend to me and showed he was right for coming out of retirement to beat Tim Sylvia. And I cannot beleive everyone is doubting Randy against Cro cop already, you all doubted randy against tim and proved you all wrong and everyone is doubting alreading, tut tut.

I'm glad Rich Franklin won as he is my favourite fighter and he will need 1 more fight before Anderson Silva but I think he can beat Silva. It was also nice to see the respect between these 2.

20. Sever

Sever Valued Member

He proved me wrong against Sylvia, but come on, seriously, Crocop AIN'T Sylvia. Randy's got a better chance now than I was giving him before this event, but it's still a very slim one