UFC 65 - Bad Intentions

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Rapid, Oct 20, 2006.

1. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

The thing I don't like about Sylvia is what Sever mentioned. He is content to just hang on and not lose, rather than win convincingly. He showed that against Arlovski in their last fight too, he never really went for the win because he seemed too worried about losing.

As for BJ Penn, I can honestly say he's my all time favourite fighter, and has been since I first started watching MMA, but at 170lbs I think GSP is the best fighter in the world. He's bigger and stronger than Penn, and just as talented a fighter. I think if Penn trained hard enough, he's beat Hughes again, but we won't be able to call that one until we see it. I've always thought that Matt Hughes mostly wins because of his physical strength and great conditioning rather than by skill and talent, and once those attributes are negated by someone of much better talent (Penn) or someone who is just as strong and conditioned, and also a better skilled fighter (GSP) then Hughes struggles.

2. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Really...I would have thought a BJ Penn fanboy(no offense) would have taken the fact that BJ essentially dominated GSP the entire first round(before gassing in later rounds, and still managing to make it to a decision which Hughes could not do even fresh) and run with it....

3. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Well if he's fair he's probably accounting for the fact GSP fought THROUGH a thumb in the eye without taking a break.

I think they were seriously exaggerating Penn's performance in that first round due to his status as "that guy who choked out Hughes." Going back and looking at it with a fresh eye, Penn wasn't doing THAT much better in the first round.

I like Penn...but if he fought the GSP that was fighting Hughes last weekend...I think even Penn would be steamrolled. GSP was absolutely on FIRE that night.

4. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

First of all, if you don't mean any offense, then don't use the word "fanboy".

Also, I just accept that GSP won that fight, yeah, he did it on takedowns basically, and Penn won the first (10-9 not 10-8 as some people might say) round, but the fact of the matter is, GSP won. As much as I tried to believe that Penn should have won, or it should have been a draw, now that I can look back objectively, I know that I just can't make much of an argument against a GSP win.

Penn is undoubtably an amazing fighter, he took on the top two guys in a weight division above his natural one. I know he could beat both Hughes and GSP if he was at his best, but the fact is, he wasn't at his best, and it's no ones fault but his own. Having said that, he's still my favourite fighter.

5. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Valued Member

Someone needs to watch the figh again...he had double underhooks in one of the take-down atempts...and they were far from half hearted.

The thing is that GSP take down defence ment that Matt couldn't take him down and his striking ment Matt couldn't get close to try for most of the fight.

People saying this really annoys me, sorry.

And as for Penn I believe he is better than Hughes, as Hughes last two fights have shown, aslong as you can stop his takedowns..he has nothing.

that said GSP > Penn ;) but I am a little biased.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

But he was winning on his feet, which is something I don't think anyone else in the division can do. I truly believe he is more talented than GSP, but I like GSP more so I hope he continues to improve.

Didn't think you would take offense to being called a fanboy, some wear the term with pride. I am a certified Fedor fanboy....

I stand by my statement...I went back and watched the GSP vs Hughes and the Hughes vs Penn fights and this is what I got-

3 takedown attempts in the first round for both the differences are in the time he took to go for them...against Penn in round 1 Hughes was going for a takedown for nearly 2:30 seconds of total time and against GSP he took about 25 seconds...

7. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

what racist comments did hughes make? i heard about this too. just wanna hear what he said. anybody know?

[​IMG]
    what an awesome snapshot. :D . i wonder what Hughes was thinking.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  8. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Great pic!!

As to his comments I think the most common one is near the end of TUF 4 where they were all sitting down to eat after Din lost and Hughes was being a dick..so Din leaned over and whispered to GSP for him to "kick his butt" and then Hughes looked at him and said something like "I can see your big lips movin Din" plus he has made a lot of comments about losing to a Canadian like Canadians are lower than Americans..

9. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Hardly racist, he's still an ass though

10. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I didn't take offense, just normally the word "fanboy" is used to mock people, so I assumed that's what you tried to do, sorry for the misunderstanding.

11. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Valued Member

The difference between the two fights is that GSP's stand-up is better than Penn's. The angles and movement of GSP made even thinking about a shoot hard. The only way for him to get a chance for a takedown was to box his way in...and thus he got KO'd.

Not just my opinon, but also that of Randy Couture (he said it on a radio interview) and I think that guy is probably the MOST qualified to give an opinon on wrestling!

12. TKDjoe

TKDjoe Valued Member

[​IMG]

This is a great photo, good pivot, eyes on the target, hitting with the instep right on his calf, A perfect TKD roundhouse. :eek:

13. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Actually, it's an innacurate Thai roundhouse ;)

14. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

The two are synonymous. :p

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Haha, pwned.

16. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

I disagree, watching the GSP vs Penn match it was made clear that theya re pretty equal as far as striking skill goes. Heck, BJ got the best of him on their feet until he gassed.

Not to mention BJ has great takedown defense, right up there with Chuck and Mirko.

17. TKDjoe

TKDjoe Valued Member

You got me, great comeback! :D

18. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Valued Member

I haven't seen that fight for ages, but wasn't BJ winning on the feet becuase of a major eye-poke? I do seem to remember that is why he took the first from GSP...I still believe that GSP's stand up is better, but I guess we will have to wait for those two to match up again before we find out.

BJ does have great take down defence, he a insane flexabilty whic h he uses...just look at BJ v. Hughes II to see that, however that didn't stop GSP taking him down a couple of times in their fight :p

And yes I am a GSP Nuthugger...What of it?? :woo:

19. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

You could say GSP was winning the stand-up because of the two groin kicks...

I won't, nor will I say BJ was winning beause of an eye poke.

20. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Valued Member

No you can't say GSP won the stand-up due to groin kicks as for a start Matt had all the time he wanted to recover from them, he judged he was fine to continue. Matt also has said that the 2nd kick didn't hit him in the groin he went down due to the pain in his legs, something along those lines. Matt Hughes should just learn to wear a cup, then those kicks wouldn't have affected him :p