UFC 229: Conor McGregor & Khabib Nurmagomedov

Discussion in 'MMA' started by EdiSco, Oct 6, 2018.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

What do you think guys? Think Khabib could clinch it? This'll be Conor's toughest fight?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I want to say Khabib by TKO in R2 or R3. But I think it'll go SD win for Khabib.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Conors already won with the pay day he is getting

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  4. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

One of those fights that could easily go either way. If McGregor lands some solid hits it could be lights out for Khabib, but on the other hand if he can't keep the fight standing he's in for a world of pain.

axelb likes this.
  5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well that was all sorts of interesting.

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I heard a few people predicting a riot at the end with either outcome, I guess Khabib doesn't plan to fight in UFC anymore

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Khabib should be fine. But the ufc is so biased as to who gets punished for what I've no idea what will happen. Dana will see the dollar signs and what khabib did will be promo for his next fight. Mma and the ufc are complete clownshoes.

axelb likes this.
  8. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Why the heck did that happen?

It’s not good for MMA and possibly martial arts as a whole.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Watch the language please.

10. EdiSco

NO spoilers please! A lot of people haven't seen it yet including me!

axelb and Simon like this.
  11. EdiSco

I blame Vodka :rolleyes::D

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  13. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Can't say I feel sorry for McGregor and his team (for the loss, or for getting attacked), they're a bunch of clowns who have acted just as bad, if not worse, on several occasions in the past. I can understand Khabib's reaction entirely. That Dillon Danis is a tool, along with everyone else in the world who thinks you can expect to insult and disrespect a man, his family, and his country, without any consequences.

Only disappointed that Khabib had to sully his victory by stooping to McGregor's level. I'm sure the UFC will punish him more than McGregor ever was.

Antics aside, it was a great fight, Khabib looked absolutely brilliant. Especially the fact that he even managed to drop McGregor during a stand-up exchange, something nobody's done before, least of all a man who critics often claimed had terrible boxing.

The rest of the card was great too. Ferguson vs Pettis, what a bloody mess that was.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is it too early to post pictures of the cage after the fight? FB_IMG_1538941181529.jpg

Grond, Mitch, Anwolf and 2 others like this.
  15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I can not understand why Dana was so shocked by what happened?

He egged on conor rewarded him with a title fight after the criminal attack he and his mates made, what did he expect was going to happen there would be no comeback and kalib would simply shake hands after all this rubbish?

Hopefully this will be the end of 8 figure paydays for Connor in fights against people he can't beat unless a miracle happens...but whilst the fighting Irish are willing to but tickets for matches which are freak shows he will always make money

Mitch and aaradia like this.
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

and judging by this clip McGregor started the rap in the cage by taking an unprovoked swing at one of kalibs coaches whilst trying to climb over the cage Twitter

Grond likes this.
  17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A quick question for you experienced MMA/grapplers. The finisher was a neck crank rather than RNC, and I understand it is much more painful than the RNC.

How much do you think that technique was deliberately selected, rather than taking what was available? In other words, did he decide to hurt and humiliate, rather than just get the tap, or was that just what presented itself?

axelb likes this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That is an entirely plausible possibility. Without asking Khabib it'd be hard to say though because these kind of techniques have been used by others without the associated animosity (Demian Maia/Rick Story for example).

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Conor had his chin tucked defending the choke the crank is usually used to get access to the neck by forcing them to lift their chin, its more painful but less reliable as you can just grit your teeth and take it especially with the adreline of a fight,

But I think the extra aggression put into the sub added to the fact Connor was mentally done having to grapple with someone so much better than him ( I think how much better on the ground khabib was shocked McGregor) meant he got the tap.

Southpaw535 and axelb like this.
  20. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

That's a choke/jaw crush rather than a proper neck crank. It hurts, but you will also go to sleep from it if properly applied.

If Khabib had the intent to inflict maximum harm he'd just have kept hitting him, rather than going for any kind of sub.