UFC 196!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

There isn't even one style of Catch - there is Lancashire, American, Carny....

This is a little homegrown Calgary action! (although Stu was taught be a US Carny wrestler so not really...)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6NtfiRD9OQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6NtfiRD9OQ[/ame]

All have their own nuances

But this is also "Stu Hart trained" techniques - (yes that is a young Harry)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrAF6ckbSI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrAF6ckbSI[/ame]

So trained by the same guy does not mean the same product

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The title of that first video makes me afraid to click on it :D :D :D :ban:

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Do it....DO IT!!!!

4. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

One of the instructors on a CACC forum I frequent said a good solid Folkstyle base gets you about 70% of the way already. Folkstyle is literally Catch minus submission, and there are still some shadows of the Submissions left you see sometimes in some tilts and holds. He had a kid who just wrestled Varsity in high school and was able to spend six months with him to get him to win Gold at NAGA in the advanced divisions without spending any time doing BJJ at all. I haven't watch much adult Jiu-Jitsu, but there is a DRASTIC difference with the kids. My daughter is not even an aggressive style wrestler and at an Eddie Bravo camp they put her on the mat with a girl who had been doing 10th Planet BJJ for a year and competing and medaling, and my daughter choked the girl out about 8 times. The girl was not able to pull much of anything, and never came close to submitting my daughter. Not bragging, and I am sure there are far better girls who would crush my daughter with her limited knowledge of submissions at this point, but there is seriously something to be said. My kids watch BJJ kids and it's like they are in slow motion.

5. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I had forgotten about that, I would be interested to see if you have any others as well to factor, but that said this fight was one of Ronda's worst performances before she got knocked out. She played around with Miesha for three rounds, and all that time she was on her back the judges were scoring for Miesha.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

back on point, sort of

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

8. Dead_pool

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

10. Dead_pool

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

or as you say, make the money now and retire

:)

12. Dead_pool

Have you not noticed the size of his quads recently.
    Acl tears dont heal without surgery.
    You don't tend to advertise your weakness to your opponents.

13. Dead_pool

Exactly, a successfully pro fighter is one who makes money, without getting hurt, gains experience, and gets out before any long term health problems arise.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Issues with the quote function

15. Ben Gash CLF

Which dominant champion has Schaub beaten again? Or top ten fighter for that matter?

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He hasn't but I think he has a point. Especially as he's more than intimate with the American sport system and what it takes to be qualified to teach S&C at a professional level.
    The movemet coach on the JRE with Carlos Condit was laughable. He literally said his qualification was climbing trees and rocks as a kid.
    If that's the case I'm a movement coach! :)

17. Ben Gash CLF

However as Mcgregor hasn't failed a meaningful test yet why do people who've not achieved anywhere near what he has feel the need to pipe up and criticise his training as if it's not working for him?

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Dude's on a podcast that deals with MMA. Not commenting on Conor would be kind of weird. :)

I think the thing with Conor is the same as with Rousey.
    Is their training making them good or would they be good anyway?
    Did GFC or SBG (and Ido Portal) get lucky with who walked through the door?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  19. Ben Gash CLF

I think it's different though. Whatever McGregor does with Portal, what athlete is harmed by being more balanced and agile (and he's clearly doing plenty of conventional S&C work as well)?
    With Ronda no-one's questioning her physical training, it's the quality of her fight training.
    If McGregor had been ragdolled by Mendes it would be a valid criticism, however as it is it's just unclassy.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Have you listened to the fighter and the kid?
    I don't think classy is what they're aiming for. :)