UFC 196!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Tate vs. Holm...

I knew after the first round that Tate was going to do a lot better against Holm then Rousey did. The first takedown was exciting to watch and really made a statement. But then Holm started to come back and stayed more mobile and kept putting that foot up near Tate's head, so it was still any girl's fight. Then that final takedown changed the game for good. Rear naked choke AND NEWWWWW!!!

Diaz vs. MacGregor...

I was not quite sure how this was going to go, but it was a big fight for Nate. I kept thinking the whole time though that Conor is just not big enough. I still think Rafael was going to pound him into a pulp and this kind of leads me to thinking the same thing.

2. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

As I said in the RDA's out thread, I think Mcgregor underestimated Nate's chin and overestimated his own power in this weight class.
    Pretty big blow for his ego. I hope he will come out stronger from this though.

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Night of the upset RNC!

Very pleased with Diaz result.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Little brother called it.

[​IMG]

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Nate is such a smarter fighter now.
    I mentioned before, Nate would win by sub but I would guess as he is such an emotional fighter, he would stand and bang.

Technically I weren't wrong :p Punched him silly then submitted Connor when he's all over the place. Although I thought he would get a 'clean' sub (by that I mean a dry and clear headed Connor being tapped out with a triangle)
    ...regardless, like Chadz I put money down, just didnt choose the round.
    But still fair play to Connor, he connected and bloodied Nate. Which is hard to do. Even Cerrone couldn't put him away and had a hard time with him (i wanna see that rematch).

I was hesitant to bet on Tate/Holly. I said Holly would pick away and keep distance like before but Tate would grab in the scramble. Thought they were really evenly matched.

Exciting times!

Now to wait for the rematches.

Cruz/Faber 3
    Rockhold/Weidman 2
    DC/Bones 2

(Altho Jacare/Belfort has my full attention)

6. Mushroom

I put down without a round and got 17/2 odds.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Really happy for Tate - she deserved that opportunity after all the nonsense the UFC put her through with the Rousey shot and she took full advantage.

As for McG - he was fighting up two weight classes effectively. What other fighter would even consider doing that?

And what has happened to the UFC? A few years ago we had a really stable list of champions - Johnson, Aldo, GSP, Silva, Jones - now only Danger Mouse is holding onto his throne. This is an incredibly exciting time in the UFC's history.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ive watched it a few times now, I think along with nate's obviously legit skills, the increase in weight, killed connor's cardio, he looked tired at the start of rnd 2, nates guiloteen to Sc to T mount to mount to back and RNC off the stuffed takedown was a thing of beauty.

Connor's post fight interview

https://www.facebook.com/btsport/videos/1037031919703343/

Seems like he has a good attitude to losing

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Misha showed what having a good camp and a sound game plan can do for you, Rhonda should take note, Diaz showed what a clever game plan, not being emotionality involved and not rushing in can do for a fighter, Aldo should also be taking note

10. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

If I remember correctly Mcgregor had predicted a 2nd round KO.
    I am thinking that he forced the pace a little to get it.
    Brawling wasn't a good fight plan.
    There is such things as overconfidence.

11. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

wow

12. PsychoElectric

Conor looked big but nate was massive. Why is Nates boxing considered better?

13. PsychoElectric

remember he is the featherweight champ still. Cant help but respect Conor.

spoiler tags include comments that hint at the victor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  14. Dead_pool

15. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Man.... that is total garbage. Ronda should have to fight her way back to the top just like they would of made ANYONE ELSE do. I would make her fight Holm again. But the UFC spent a lot of money on Ronda and wants that money back.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

This is the problem, in many ways Holm was rushed into her shot because they thought she could beat Rousey, unlike some male fighters who you felt could have beaten the champ but couldn't beat the top 5 guys (Bisping being the obvious example). So now you're in a situation where Tate is champ despite having been finished twice by Rousey. Tate's reign will always be tainted if she doesn't beat Rousey, and if Rousey retains the belt there'll always be questions if she doesn't rematch with Holm.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

props to McGregor and Diaz, that was a FIGHT! Nate was very, very good compared to some of his performances, very focussed, very relaxed, excellent movement. Conor didn't do terribly, I think he was caught out by his reduction in speed, when stuff didn't pan out for him he looked like he'd expected it to be faster, and those long arms of Diaz were a major factor. Several times when Conor got hit it looked like he thought he was safe.

18. PsychoElectric

BJJ is what caught him.

19. Dead_pool

Superior ground skills after getting rocked, is what caught him, Connors a legit BJJ Brownbelt under an extremely legit Blackbelt.

Trying to claim otherwise is just passive aggressive BJJ fandom at its worst.

for evidence - see the dlr sweep to top at the end of round 1, just after the sweet wrestling single nate did, top drawer tekkers.

20. Mushroom

Getting rocked and being on the wrong end of being semi concious is what got him. Nate could've GnP just as easily, but Nate's natural home is the subs.

Nate is definately in talks for the title but he is his own worst enemy, but not as bad as his brother.