UFC 168: Weidman v Silva II

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Mushroom, Dec 27, 2013.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Surely you don't check with the knee but with the upper shin. In a battle between knee and shin the knee it's going to come off worse - certainly the few times I've mistimed a check and connected with the patella it hurt me as much as the guy checking.

As for Weidman's 'it wasn't a fluke' remark, the check might have been deliberate but the leg breaking wasn't, making it a fluke. I'm not surprised he is a bit defensive over it, after all that's two wins in a row people are trying to add an asterisk against.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Its the alignment - you don't just use the knee as a check you "point" it to make it a destruction technique

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Is it actually with the knee or just below the knee?

It looked to me like it was just below the knee in the fight. (I REALLY don't want to go see that again. It was gross.) Since everyone is saying it was perfectly executed technique, I was thinking the check is supposed to be done just below the knee. But since people are also saying checking with the knee, I am confused.

4. holyheadjch

I'm not convinced that the pointyness of the knee is enough to make it more damaging than the shin and I'm not sure the risk of a knee injury makes it worthwhile. My feeling is that most of the time the knee is going to come off worse than the shin.

I'd be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this though.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Knees covered at the 1:22 mark

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbjXM4Hmjg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbjXM4Hmjg[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpYOUtJwIfI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpYOUtJwIfI[/ame]

Silvas biggest mistake on the kick was he left his hip "closed" on the kick, meaning the impact area was wrong and adding to the risk of injury

6. holyheadjch

Checking with the lower shin is gentler on both fighters because there is some give in the checking leg. Checking with the upper shin hurts a lot more and is probably better as a future deterrent.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Some thoughts...

I don't know the exact to and fro between Tate and Rousey (and Rousey could well have instigated much of it) but I can absolutely understand not wanting to shake someone's hand if they over stepped the mark in fighter banter and trash talking.
    If I was lined up to fight someone then by all means slag me off, belittle me etc etc.
    But if they brought my wife or family into I'd not shake their hand after the fight either.

That said...I thought the fight was amazing. Rousey's Judo is just off the charts. The way she converted Tate's takedown attempts (why even attempt them!?!) into big throws was the real essence of the "gentle way" of using your opponents energy and movement against them.

But I has a major sad face for Silva...I really thought he was gonna step up the pace in the second, stuff Weidman's takedowns and go to work. I'm so glad I didn't really see the injury and switched off as soon as Rogan said "his leg is broken!". Ugh.

And Browne's elbows were legal. He mentioned after the fight about targetting the ear and I dunno about any of you mutants but my ears are on the side of my head. :)

8. holyheadjch

No one can quite work out what Rousey is referring to when she started going on about her family, but if she's happy to be booed, then so be it. I read something about the fight (I forget where) that basically said that there's nothing more irritating than a jerk who is capable of backing it up in the cage. I couldn't agree more.

Hopefully we'll see a more reasonable Ronda Rousey now that she has dealt with Tate.
    Oh yeah, next time someone says that judo doesn't work in MMA, you can just point them straight to that fight. It was like watching a black belt toss around a white belt during randori.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Terrible fighter nickname that.

10. aaradia

Pretty sure she was referring to her fight coaches as her family. And the way they picked on her boxing coach (Edmond?) in particular.

11. holyheadjch

Edmond gave as good as he got and they gave Caraway just as much grief. If that's what she is referring to then I don't buy it.

12. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

The sad thing is I think it might be exactly that.

13. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^OH MY GOD! If that is true she REALLY needs to stop using the freakin word family its misleading.

Trying to make Tate look worse with WORDS now. Jeez. I cant stand Rousey the more I learn.

14. aaradia

Hmm, not defending Rousey at all, but I have non-blood friends that I consider family.

Friends I have had for close to 30 years. and if anyone did insult to them, I would consider them insulting my family.

I don't think we have a right to tell anyone who to consider family.

15. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I totally understand that, but to constantly say FAMILY in the media without really explaining it aint your family just to slander Tates image and name , is not cool

16. aaradia

How much are good quality shin guards a protection against this type of leg break? Anyone here have any idea?

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Can't find the TUF episode where it gets brought up, but did go through the post fight conference again, she does say that when Tate apologises to "my coaches Edmond and Chris Beal and they accept that apology" and does specifically refer to them as "her family". She does also say that she respects Tate as a fighter mind, but that in her eyes Tate basically needs to sort out some things before Rousey will think about shaking her hand.

I still think that she showed poor sportsmanship on that one, but that's me.

18. aaradia

Yeah, I find the offense on behalf of Chris Beal particularly weak.

Tate's team had him fight right away because they knew he was injured. Rousey took peronal offense to that. The show is a game. Taking advantage of your opponents weaknesses, including injuries, is part of that game. Is it a little cheap? Sure. But perfectly acceptable.

I am most curious to see if Rousey psyches herself into finding reasons to hate McMann or not.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hopefully McMann suplexing Rousey into unconsciousness will be reason enough for 'Rowdy' to hate her.

20. holyheadjch

You can consider whoever you want as being family, but you don't get to act all wounded when someone insults them if you are guilty of doing the exact same thing to other people.