UFC 168: Weidman v Silva II

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Mushroom, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course it was! I said "it's not as bad as it looks" and then WHOOOOSSSHHH! It was like I used the 'n' word or something! I clicked more spoiler tags to read "you can't be serious dude" then I've clicked spoiler tags in all my time on MAP :p Southpaw with the assist! I should have posted some links or something, I kinda' risked putting foot to mouth on that one.

Hopefully because he's very healthy/fit it assists in his recovery though, to counter his aging. I feel like it's a career stopper for serious competition at that age but you never know.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It's funny the amount of sports that have this injury. I've seen photos from basketball, football, soccer(I know, I know) and even baseball with snapped shins. I'm having the hardest time remembering why I know anything about this injury though, I think we did a segment in a fitness class on it. I think the reason we were told this happens is because the individual has put too much stress on the bone in training doing a repetitive motion which create micro fractures and making the bone vulnerable to breaking like that.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Isn't the difference there that however dumb the TRT excuse may be both Sonnen and Reem, or definitely Sonnen in any case, were cleared to use it and it was an administrative problem more than anything? Cyborg got caught straight juicing from what I remember.

Got your back dude :p

To be fair I thought it was a career ender as well before I had time to think about it. As bad as it looks on slow mo replays at the end of the day it is just a broken bone. Not any worse than Tim Sylvia's arm. I'm used to leg injuries being crippling but that's when I think of things like heel hooks that attack a joint and ruin tendons and ligaments. I'd take a snapped bone over those kind of injuries any day.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In football it's simply because of the mechanics of the collision. High impact collision with a planted leg.
    For example [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4llH2axuBQ"]Henrik Larsson Breaks Leg - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hmm, I wonder if the mods would consider spoiler threads?

What I mean is *Spoiler" put in a thread title instead of the whole conversation having to be in spoiler tags.

That way, people who don't want to be spoiled do NOT click on a particular thread at all. but we can have conversations a bit easier.

What do you all think? And do I send this idea to a mod or just wait for one to read this post here?

6. Southpaw535

Or, as I always bitch about, there could be some logic used and people should just expect there to be spoilers in a thread about an event in the subforum named "Fight Discussions." This is a lot like putting a wet floor outside when its raining :p

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yeah, I personally have very little sympathy for people who blunder into a thread about a sporting event the day after it took place and then moan about spoilers.

8. aaradia

Agreed. but I am trying to think of a way to work within MAP's policy.

9. aaradia

10. Southpaw535

I hope so. He can't do this anymore and it sounds like he's acknowledged it. Never really looked the same since his fight with Stann.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'll raise it for discussion in the Mod tearoom, it might take some time though, someone brought cake and Christmas drinkies in so we're a bit distracted at the moment... :)

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Sorry to be off topic but just out of interest, since Royce tested positive for steroids, did the win stand or is it then a non-contest or a disqualification??

LFD

13. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Am I THE ONLY one who saw it in Lebens eyes the moment he walked in to weigh ins on Friday??

I dont have a still but Leben walked in eyes wide like a newborn baby and scared looking

[​IMG]

I also cannot stand Rondas "mean face" she reminds me of a female Diego Sanchez TRIES TOO HARD TO BE HARD

14. righty

righty Valued Member

I really really doubt it. I speak as someone who has broken their leg and had similar surgery. While he may be allowed to be fully weight bearing on that leg at 6 months that is far from a 'recovery' especially for a professional athlete. The amount of conditioning you lose from limited if any weight bearing on a leg is massive so while he may be able to fight again, it's going to be a long road before he can be at the level he was, if ever. His age just makes things all the harder.

In terms of injury, training and getting back into competition a broken leg like this is far more severe than a broken arm for those comparing it to Nog's arm.

15. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That would put anyone in Muay Thai in the immediate At-Risk column.

16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

But don't you find that flaw slightly endearing?

17. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

I'm sorry but I wasn't too put off by Rousey's attitude. i don't know what Tate said to her to **** her off like that but it was obviously something that she took to heart. Is it justified? probably not. but what I find shocking is just how many people are so quick to criticize her for how she acted but completely forget that many other fighters have acted the exact same way in and outside the cage.
    Does the name "Michael Bisbing" ring a bell to anybody? Hell forget MMA, Ali would taunt other boxers he didn't like before, during, and after the fight.

Seems like she's being held to some different standard because she's the womens champion. Its not like she acts that way in every fight So I can't really get on the anti-rousey bandwagon. Plus her judo looked freaking sweet.

as for Silva. God bless him. I really hope he has a fast recovery. It was like watching a superhero die. To be honest, I still don't know if I think Weidman is the better fighter. Yeah he was getting pieced in the first round, but it didn't seem much different from his rematch with chael sonnen.

not knocking weidman's camp or him as a fighter. I just feel that we'll never get the silva vs Weidman fight everyone wanted to see.

damn in 2013 we lost the greats. GSP, Silva, and barely kept Jones. 2014 is going to be interesting to say the least.

18. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

No contest.
    Mark Hunt v Big Foot Silva stayed as a Draw, but Silva lost all his winnings and bonuses.

About the spoiler tags.
    the general unspoken rule of thumb is 24 hours after the event. the reason being is the time difference between different countries. some of us in the united kingdom either stay up and watch the event or have to wait until the next day.

If you don't want to know the result and have not watched the event after that period, then don't click on the thread about it.
    MAP has plenty of other stuff to talk about. ;)

Me, i work shifts, so sometimes I'm unable to watch an event till Monday or even Tuesday!
    I just have to avoid FB, twitter and other MMA sites till then.

I personally don't like the idea of a spoiler thread, thats like having a thread about a film, then having another thread for those who watched it.

Spoiler tags are a hassle to go through, but its the courtesy of not ruining the excitement of the event as well as those who have paid good money to watch it.

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Back on topic.

Holy Crapola!!

20. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

As far as I've figured out, it basically started with Tate and Brian Carraway tweeting something that ticked off one of Rondas' friends/coaches, which Ronda took personally.

It was brought up on TUF, but I can't remember it properly.

It's an irrelevant point. Doesn't matter if Rousey was a dude or not, she acts like a grumpy kid who's been told they can't have any more sweets. No different to say John Dodson, Palhares or any other muppet.

Bisping has the personality of the back end of an elephant. I'll still watch him fight because he's a good fighter, but that doesn't stop him being a tosser in my eyes. Same with Ali.

Then frankly her attitude with Tate is more troubling because she isn't like that all the time. Even though her judo background is pretty damned impressive.

Yeah, it's been a rough year. But at the same time we now have women's fights in the UFC and I'm keen to see who else tries to step up now that some of the best fighters we've seen in years are out of action.

I will miss GSP though. I know a lot of people found his fights tedious, but I was always impressed with his fighting style. Plus he wasn't really a douche bag to anyone and was surprising polite.