UFC 168: Weidman v Silva II

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Mushroom, Dec 27, 2013.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I dont think Cyborg wants to drop the extra 10lbs, but if she did, I think she'd smash Rousey to pieces.

2. holyheadjch

Looks bad but isn't?! No, sorry. I only have a sample size of 1 to go by, but when my friend suffered a clean closed tib-fib fracture a few years ago, it was the best part of 6 months before he was off crutches and another 3 before he could walk without a limp and a handful more before he could consider running again. So let's say it takes Silva a year before he can start seriously training again. So we're talking about 2015, by which time he'll be 40.

If he's smart, he'll call it a day here and now. He'll go down as a great with barely a blip on his record. That's more than most fighters ever get.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Olympic wrestling silver medallist and No-Gi world champion so McMann has a serious wrestling pedigree. I still think the type of fighter to dominate Ronda would be a striker with good TDD.

4. holyheadjch

McMann had a TKO victory in her last fight, so she can swing and finish on her feet and I don't think take down defence will be a huge problem for her. It's a good match-up. I'm looking forward to it already.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, but you heal slower when you get older. And you just don't quite heal up the same.

Also, he won't be champ. He was soundly losing before the accident. He could fight for sheer love of fighting, but he has nothing else to prove.

I keep thiinking of a presser a few fights ago where Dana White was talking about Silva. He said (paraphrasing) that fighters just keep going and one day they age. It suddenly catches up to them. that it can just happen overnight that they suddenly look old, but that Anderson Silva just kept looking the same with no effects of age. Strangely enough, a fight or two after that he started fighting Wiedman, I think age is catching up to him the way Dana was talking about. His chin isn't as strong and he couldn't avoid certain punches like he has before. He looked older that first round last night.

Now maybe he could adjust, like Couture, but the injury on top of that..............that is a lot to deal with.

I wasn't a fan of his personality, or his showboating. But I was in awe of his skill. I watched most fights wanting him to lose, but applauding his amazing skills when he won in devastating fashion. I couldn't wait to see what he would do next.

GSP once said on TUF that he wanted to teach his team to win beautifully. To have the ART in martial art show in their fights. That describes Anderson Silva. There is artistry in beautiful technique - which Silva had in abundance.

I find I am very saddened by this terrible end (I believe) to his amazing career. We were all priviledged to be fans of MMA in the Anderson Silva era- even those of us who weren't Silva fans.

6. aaradia

Cyborg is a steroid cheat. I don't want to see steroid abuse ruin WMMA like it did women's bodybuilding.

This is a link to the fight Where I became a McMann fan. This is a perfectly legal link from Invicta's youtube site. Enjoy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB9PJfRl5Ok"]Shayna Baszler Vs. Sara McMann - Invicta FC 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. holyheadjch

I don't think he looked older last night. I thought he looked pretty good. He got rocked by Weidman, but that is because of Weidman's power, not Anderson's chin. He then got sat on for a few minutes but he had it under control at all times and when they got stood up at the end of the round, it was Weidman who was bleeding.

Silva having slow first rounds isn't new. I honestly think Silva would have won that fight if he hadn't been injured, but now we'll probably never get to find out.

As an aside - I wasn't impressed by Weidman's wild celebrations. I don't think it is appropriate to celebrate an injury stoppage like that, especially when the injury is so serious.

8. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I also despise the steroid thing. When I watched her fight Gina I kept looking at the fight over and over again. I could not see hardly anything in the way of technical mistakes on Gina's part. She was just fighting someone who was freakishly strong.

When Royce did it to beat Sakuraba that also deeply affected my opinion of Royce.

How long does it take for the benefits to leave you? Do they ever? Arguably you could consider saying doing this even once should ban you from the sport forever.

9. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I agree 100%. Silva wasn't showing signs of fatigue or injury and I still felt he was going to win the fight when the leg broke.

I also was pretty annoyed when Weidman went running around in circles with his hands up celebrating that someone in a freak accident broke their leg on him therefore making him the "winner" but I noticed his attitude started to change by the time he was being interviewed. I have a feeling he realized the truth of what had just happened.

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Not in the slightest, but after a fight like that I would have expected some sportsmanship is all.

Someone gives you grief for months, is rather hostile, extremely unpleasant to be near on TUF, took you to the third round and looked like she could have snapped her arm like a dry twig after a hell of a fight where she was slammed into the mats time and again, rolled, partially choked and given a bloody nose and a bit of a beating. It would have been far easier to just walk away and refuse to look at her, but in my books to hold out her hand to congratulate her showed some form of a good, sporting attitude. That's all. But then I'm a sucker for good sporting conduct in comps like this, even if the UFC is full of douche canoes.

I think it's more because in the last seven fights before hand, they were all won first round with the same technique and generally had a pretty bad game plan except for her ground submissions, which are damned impressive. But like you said, Rousey looked massively improved this time.

I can't get my head round Tate trying to take down Rousey multiple times. Surely she must have seen it wasn't going to work for her after the first two failed attempts?

That's true. Much as I don't like her poor sporting conduct, you have to respect the honesty and the effort she puts into her training.

I was face palming when Tate tried to go for the take downs, especially after the first one. What do you think, her ego drove her to try and show she was better than Rousey or she just pulled a total "derp" moment?

Maybe, but bearing in mind he's...38 now? You could realistically expect 6 months of crutches, which at best will seriously hamper his training and potentially his diet by extension. Once he's off crutches, you could probably expect most of another 6 months of occasional limping, occasional bouts of pain, loss of mobility and extreme loss of confidence. That's also a year of losing the ability to work on strength and flexibility properly, a year of not practising kicks and pad work or anything similar properly.

Once you take into account the time it'll take him to get back up on his game, you're probably looking at a full year of building up to doing damn hard training again, so he'll be 40. Even if he wants to compete again, he's not only been hampered for 2 years and the potential training time he could have had, he realistically wouldn't have competed either and risks having his competitive edge dulled.

So it's not the worst thing that could ever happen, but it's extremely unlikely he'll come back from that.

So that's why Dana picked her for Rousey's next fight, huh? Should be interesting. How many women are there with good striking and good TDD at the mo?

11. aaradia

With regards to people saying Wiedman was a poor sport in his post fight celebration...............

I think it is an unfair criticism of Wiedman. He ran less than a complete circle before realizing the severity of the injury. He was quite subdued after that. He was told by the doctors to step away because he was checking up on Silva. And he was very respectful of Silva in interviews afterwards.

Fighters have celebrated way more after brutally KO'ing someone and no one has complained about that.

12. holyheadjch

He knew what had happened as soon as it did. And did he check himself or did someone on his team tell him to knock it off? It's just not classy.

When you KO a fighter you can celebrate because that's what you were trying to do. When a freak accident happens, you shouldn't celebrate it. Even for less than a full lap of the ring.

I'm not sure what he was celebrating anyway. That's twice he's come away with a W against Silva and twice everyone is going to call it a fluke. He probably wont get a third opportunity to prove himself worthy of the title. [/quote]

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Well your friend probably didn't have the money and access a professional athlete will have for medical procedures and physical therapy either. They could probably knock it down to 8 or 10 months for him. Not saying the injury isn't bad, but if you snap something like you ACL you're most certainly not going to recover at his age.

I'm not saying it isn't a terrible injury and it could be the deciding factor for him to quit fighting, just that it isn't as bad as it looks. It LOOKS like he'll never walk again, the reality is he will, and probably be capable of much more as well. His age is certainly the biggest hurdle in healing.

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't wait until we can have a conversation in this thread without spoiler tags, good lord.

And Karatesloth, he's going to multi quote all the posts irregardless of if they're spoiler tagged or not. :p

15. holyheadjch

Actually his athletes insurance paid for his surgery and rehab so...
    When he is healed, all being well, that leg will be stronger than before he broke it (titanium being stronger than bone), but the rehab is going to take a long time, no matter how rich he is. And none of this is even beginning to scratch the surface of the psychological damage an athlete is going to feel having seen his body fail him like that.

16. LemonSloth

[​IMG]

One day Ero, one day...*shakes fist*

17. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

He had emergency surgery last night and doing the rounds is the claim that his doctors said they expect about 6 months to recover. What that means exactly (whether its 6 months to heal the bone and then whatever over recovery he has to do on top of that or whether that's 6 months until he's back in the gym) doesn't seem to be clear. One thing you can say for sure is he can afford the best doctors :p

edit:

Statement provided by Zuffa:

18. LemonSloth

Well that's fairly positive. The questions still remain though about whether or not he will try to come back for another period of time and how, if he does, will the injury affect his training and game plan.

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The experience of this type of injury in football suggests that he'd be nowhere near ready to fight again for over a year, by which time he'll be about 40 and of course massively rusty.

20. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Cyborg fight CAN happen. But Dana too scared to let her lose the belt yet. Sonnen steroid freak still allowed to fight. Overeem same, why should we discriminate WOMEN that did roids? LET EM ALL IN thats the UFC way.