UFC 168: Weidman v Silva II

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Mushroom, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

She's a massively experienced combat athlete who's trained hard since childhood to be where she is. She hasn't always gotten her way, she's made things go her way.

2. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

She's gotten it her way. She SWEARS she's so cute flirting with the broadcast guy after the fight like she is some kinda goddess.

Girl HIT THE BRAKES back it up, and take some lessons on being POLITE and DECENT. Last thing we need is THIS (rousy) for young girls to look up to. Behavior wise

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The big thing I took away from the Rousey fight is that she needs someone to teach her to keep her chin down. Not surprised she could handle 3 rounds, she's been an athlete most of her life, but I was really curious how she'd react mentally to someone surviving.

Tate showed some really nice defence in the first. Seemed to have tried to make t-rexing an instant reaction to her arm getting grabbed but her gameplan was complete dog poop. I mean the original one she said of staying on the outside and boxing was wise. The one of "if she gets close to me rather than run I was going to take the fight to her" was dumb. Great, you get to say you took the fight to her. You also got flipped to your back numerous times and eventually got tapped and still aren't the women's champ.

Even for me Rousey not shaking hands after was bad. Not a big deal (certainly didn't make me want to actually hit her) but I'd like to think that whatever beef you have before a fight, you leave it in the moments after you've squared off. If you want to rage afterwards then cool, but that moment in the octagon it should be done. Still, at least she gave Tate props as a fighter. That was something.

Sucked seeing Silva go out like that. I really don't like the guy but I really don't like seeing guys get hurt doing this. Cool that its part of the sport, but proper injuries like that are always a shame. (as a side note, I went to a live UFC the other year and was a bit miffed that no one applauded a fighter who was injured when he got back up. Common courtesy in the sport peoples!) He had a great career and deserved to go out on a higher note than that and in slightly less of a look of pain.

Leben needs to retire. I like the dude and I'm very happy at the mentla growth he's had since TUF 1 but he can't do this anymore. Everyone loves a slugger but he's 5 years behind the current standard of mma.

Question on the Barnett fight: Was it actually the elbows that knocked him out? It looked like the knee basically finished him and the elbows were just a topping to me.

4. Southpaw535

She is kinda cute :p

But seriously, people hold Ali and Tyson up as role models. I don't think Ronda's a good role model either outside of her professional mentality but she's hardly anything new.

edit: Straight up though why is Rousey's antics getting so much poop? She refused to shake Tate's hand but openly respected her during the interview. Is it douchey? Yes. Is it the worst thing possible? Not by a long shot. There are so many other fighters who are fan favorites despite being dicks and its weird Rousey gets the hate she does for it.

I mean:

BJ Penn: Licks opponent's blood of his gloves and goes back him while he's still on the mat for seconds. Huge following until his recent downward slide.

Palhares: Complete bell who has repeatedly deliberately seriously injured his opponents. Still quite a draw until he was cut

Sonnen: He's Sonnen...

Silva: Disrespectful clown inside the octagon then tries to play the humble guy outside it. At least two opponents claim him being racist inside the octagon too.

Diaz Bros: I know a few fans of theirs despite their antics which are much the same as Ronda's.

Lesnar: Granted its hard to say how much of his support was wwe fans

Those are just the ones on top of my head. But Ronda refuses a handshake and sticks a couple fingers up and its like she's the worst thing to happen to mma in years.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Who do you suggest instead?

Ronda is open, honest and hard working and creates her own destiny...frankly I think girls could do a LOT worse

6. Ben Gash CLF

Yeah, but she's not a lady :rolleyes:

7. Ben Gash CLF

Tito Ortiz turned up to the post fight wearing a Tshirt saying "Gay Mezger is my boyfriend" and gets in the UFC hall of fame.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I get everything about your post apart from spoiled? Ronda has had a seriously hard life.

9. Southpaw535

Somehow I always forget Tito. Dude made his career off of being a twit with the t-shirts the smack talk and the gravedigger. That and ducking Liddell for years :p

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No but she's ALL woman!!

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Oh man. You never want to see a great's career end like that. Damn. Damn.

As for Rousey, she's champ for exactly as long as it takes the UFC to find a woman who can keep her at distance and knock her out. Her striking defence is basically non-existent. Miesha did an amazing job considering how much of the fight was on the ground, but I literally face palmed every time she tried to take Rousey down. If you want to beat Rousey, you have to drag her away from the world she has been in since she was a child, not offer up a weak ass osoto or ouchi for her to slam you with.

But damn, Anderson. Damn

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I wouldn't touch her with yours!

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Really? dont you know the crazy ones are always the better ones short term. ;)

14. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

My 8 year old daughter hates her attitude. But respects her skill.

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's not that, I'd just find it weird getting pinned down and then after it getting the bird flipped at me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  16. Combat Sports

I didn't understand Tate doing that either. She was tagging Ronda in the face quite regularly when they were striking.

17. Combat Sports

Could Gina Carano do that?

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No, but Cyborg could. And I think Sara McMann might be more than her match in grappling stakes.

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think injuries like the one suffered by Silva are career ending. It's not a joint or a ligament, just straight bone. It looks gruesome though, and obviously his age will probably be a factor. I would state this with a little more authority if I could find the resources I've read on it. I may be mistaken, but it sticks out in my head as one of those "looks bad but isn't" injuries I've had to go over in various health classes.

20. Combat Sports

Could the Cyborg fight ever happen? How much of a weight difference is there?

I will look into Sara McMann.